Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A problem with an automotive trouble codes diagnosis device

Hello Everyone !
    glad to be right here posting my ever first thread in this forum and I hope You all to be in a good wellness
    So first of all, a couple of months ago I've purchased my father a DTC (diagnosis of trouble codes) device for Automotive that's known to be really handy despite being a chinese clone of a genuine unit known as Actia basic Passthru XS and I wanna say that I had it flawed since then and the following video shows my suffering with it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkhgXAk_v4

It worths metioning that I've done a dump for a hex file for a pic12f629 chip on the upper board thinking that it didn't have anything written on it but it was fine and undamaged unlike a thought.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?..._id=5535115176

If You have any idea of the reason behind such an issue then please illuminate my sight !

Last edited by belalmondeo; 12-26-2018, 06:46 PM.

Re: A problem with an automotive trouble codes diagnosis device

please upload the pictures here using the attachment function. I can't access these pics.

Comment

Ok, I apologize for not knowing much about proper sites for photos exhibition, I've been using imageshack for a little while and the trial period was finished, the photos below show the pcb of a device like mine.
      Attached Files

Comment

To me that OBDII reader does not want to talk to your computer. Not sure why... could be a wrong setting in the device manager. You could check with an oscilloscope if you see data in and out of the usb bridge on the OBDII reader. Check if the reader powers on etc.

Comment

could be a usb com-port.
          if it is, you need to use the right drivers sometimes - as in old ones.
          the latest drivers fuck around if they think the chip is a clone.

Comment

I got it, I wanna thank You for giving me an advice on this but regarding the oscillator I don't actually have it and I don't know someone of mine to have it either !
            it worths mentioning that I've tried many many times to install a variety of drivers versions for this unit and I was ended up with the same result, but there's a video of the correct installation instructions which I've followed a letter by letter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw049QOIlTY
            and tried it on win 7 and xp with no changes at all as I mentioned earlier in the video.
            Last edited by belalmondeo; 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              could be a usb com-port.
              if it is, you need to use the right drivers sometimes - as in old ones.
              the latest drivers fuck around if they think the chip is a clone.
              I did so with no changes at all !
              the earlier version of the driver was known as (3.07w) and I already installed it with no luck with any changes.
              Last edited by belalmondeo; 12-27-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

what happens when you plug it into a car ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  what happens when you plug it into a car ?
                  Watch the video I posted in the thread above, please.
                  Whenever I plug it I get a driver installation wizard and I get through it with no issues then the driver show up in the device managaer with no issues either, but when testing it shows no communication, response between the vehicle and the laptop again watch the video above.
                  Last edited by belalmondeo; 12-27-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

make sure its on correct com port

Comment

make sure its on correct com port
                      Such a thing was kept in mind with the same crappy results.

Comment

Have any of You guys owned or known someone to have such an OBDII device ?

Comment

i still suspect the driver, that 20pin chip could be a FTDI chip - or a clone of one.

Comment

have 2 similar ones . one is cheapo elm chip one , the other a clone ross tech one . ross tech connected first time . elm one was a bit finicky to start with with it being usb com port connection .
                            neither are like yours inside will all those relays . i wonder why it has them all ?

Comment

that's probably for routing the can from primary to secondary and creating a break - it's called a passthou so i assume it does a man-in-the-middle type trick.

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradi...sers_of_their/

Comment

Hi
                                  Well in the device management any? Marks Showing next to the driver . If yes then you need to locate the correct driver once that is gone then you need to see why it’s not communicating . Start with different cable.
                                  Techman1025

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    i still suspect the driver, that 20pin chip could be a FTDI chip - or a clone of one.
                                    Well, the fact it's a clone of the Acita Passthru basic XS which has a din 8 cable for a choice of either a RS232 or USB cables, whereas the clone one has only a usb inlet.
                                    as shown in the pics below we have the genuine VCI on the right and on the left side the clone.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

have 2 similar ones . one is cheapo elm chip one , the other a clone ross tech one . ross tech connected first time . elm one was a bit finicky to start with with it being usb com port connection .
                                      neither are like yours inside will all those relays . i wonder why it has them all ?
                                      Regarding mine it's a J2534 Passthru based device that allows You to perform some other special functions unlike the ELM such as flashing the ecu, throttle matching and a heft of other stuff making this thing really handy.

Comment

elm thing is a joke .. ross tech is good as does programming but only for vag group .am looking at trying a Delphi for use with laptop pc next .

Comment

Working...
                                        X