What lab pwr. supply to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What lab pwr. supply to get?

I have a board that have a short, not sure is where. So i need power supply to inject some voltage and see what is getting hot.

So, do cheap aliexpress pwr supply will do the job? I'm not a professional, I fix my own laptop and friends if broke, not intensive.

Ir i could make my own from ATX PSU?

Would this do the job for 1V rail: aliexpress "PS1502"?

Re: What lab pwr. supply to get?

thats total crap

IM VERY HAPPY with this little boy. its little but VERY usefull, great adjustable and it shows power consumption wich is TOP for laptop repair. i charge even autobattery with it. u just need a little fan and a 60W and more PSU. im using laptop charger

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DPS5...AbTest=ae803_3

u can buy 5A version/DPS5005/ from 20euros or more powerfull up to 20A
    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 02-09-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

15V 2A PSU won't cut it for laptop repair.
      I recommend at the very least 30V 5A

With 30V you can at least go to 20V if you need to inject full voltage directly into power connector/B+ of laptop motherboard (don't do that randomly or you'll kill CPU/GPU, but sometimes it's useful).

Also 2A is often not enough to detect a short. For example if you want to inject in a 1V rail that has a 0.2ohm short to ground, with a 2A it'll be 0.8W of power, not enough to catch anything heating up. With 5A this would be 5W, well enough to make something heat up.

I'm also using some DPS buck converter.
      I have a DPS5015 with a "LED PSU" 50V 15A and a DPS8005 with a "LED PSU" 80V 5A.
      A real lab PSU has everything integrated into so it's a better in that regard but it's way more expansive for the same power.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I bought myself uni-t UTP3315TFL 30V 5A power supply and it is cheap (in my country about 90USD) and small, i think it is the best choice for us beginners

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          15V 2A PSU won't cut it for laptop repair.
          I recommend at the very least 30V 5A

With 30V you can at least go to 20V if you need to inject full voltage directly into power connector/B+ of laptop motherboard (don't do that randomly or you'll kill CPU/GPU, but sometimes it's useful).

Also 2A is often not enough to detect a short. For example if you want to inject in a 1V rail that has a 0.2ohm short to ground, with a 2A it'll be 0.8W of power, not enough to catch anything heating up. With 5A this would be 5W, well enough to make something heat up.

I'm also using some DPS buck converter.
          I have a DPS5015 with a "LED PSU" 50V 15A and a DPS8005 with a "LED PSU" 80V 5A.
          A real lab PSU has everything integrated into so it's a better in that regard but it's way more expansive for the same power.

That DPS is totally awesome. with that watmeter i can tell exactly if laptop is totally not work or always rails is working or is shorted or athers states

Comment

Just ordered dp30v5al, same principle as DPS3005, but without fancy screen and some features. For half the price. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by mosfetratus View Post
              Just ordered dp30v5al, same principle as DPS3005, but without fancy screen and some features. For half the price. Neat.
              too bad for u

u will be sure U WANT all that fancy screen and features when u try it.
              i try it and i NEVER want PSU without it
              Last edited by ktmmotocross; 02-11-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Just received it. Long time, but worth it. There is nothing similar to buy at this price of range in my country.

This power supply is not bad. Very cute.

Injected 1Volt to my x555ld motherboard, and heats up processors north bridge.

Quality is good.

Very like that 7segment display.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X