Recapping Mean Well MWP-606

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping Mean Well MWP-606

Hello, I have this arcade power supply that I'd like to recap for maximum reliability and lifetime since I have found some Capxon and Jamicon capacitors:
    • Capxon GL 10x25 1000uf 16V Ripple: 1180 Impedance: 0.05ohm // Chemi-con KY 1000uf 16V Ripple: 1400 Impedance: 0.046ohm
    • Capxon GL 10x12.5 470uf 16V Ripple: 722 Impedance: 0.095ohm
    • Capxon GS 10x15 22uf 50V 85ºC Ripple: 100
    • Capxon KM 47uf 50V Ripple: 125
    • Jamicon TK 1uf 50V Ripple: 12
    • Jamicon TK 4.7uf 50V Ripple: 36

I have another PSU (same model) that uses Chemi-con KY instead of Capxon GL, and since Panasonic FC are very similar and more easily available I plan to use those for this PSU. Alternatives I plan to use:
    • Panasonic FC 1000uf 16V 10x25 Ripple: 1440 Impedance: 0.045ohm
    • Panasonic FC 470uf 16V 10x12.5 Ripple: 755 Impedance: 0.090ohm
    • Panasonic NHG 22uf 50V 105ºC Ripple: 65
    • Rubycon PX 47uF 50V 105ºC Ripple: 115
    • Rubycon PX 1uf 50V Ripple: 10
    • Rubycon PX 4.7uf 50V Ripple: 32

Panasonic NHG 105ºC has less ripple current than Capxon GS 85ºC, since they are general purpose would that be acceptable? I can't find 105ºC caps with the same or a bit more ripple current. Any better alternative? same with Capxon KM replacement.

It also has some Samxon that I suppose are fine, but I'm open to replace them for better alternatives. Since my power line is 220V I think replacing them for 450V or so would be a nice upgrade. Since they seem to be filters would low esr be acceptable for this? I can't find GP with these specs.
    • 22x25 Samxon LP 220uF 250V

There is also a Samxon KM 2.2uF 50V (ripple 20) that I could replace with a Rubycon PX 2.2uF 50V (ripple 20 too).

Does this sound ok?
    Attached Files

Re: Recapping Mean Well MWP-606

I have one question for you

Does it have good cooling or is everything cramped in a small space

If it is cramped in very small space I would recommend using automotive grade capacitor to me they seem to hold up better

KY to me is a very good series to me I use them all time very good results
    FC I use when space is a problem this series is very good and very good results
    I have used the PX a few times before results seem to be very good

The other series I have not tried
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-03-2019, 10:46 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thank you for the information. This PSU will not be enclosed and most of the time it will be turned off, so I suppose these caps will do fine. I'll look into automotive grade (Rubycon YXM?) anyway since I always look for the most reliable components.

I made an error in my first post, for 1uf 50V I'll use Rubycon YXF or Rubycon YXM (Ripple: 25) instead of Jamicon TK 1uF 50V (Ripple: 17). Rubycon PX's ripple current for this value is 10. Also, Rubycon YXM 22uF 50V 5x11 (135 ripple) instead of Capxon GS 22uF 50V (100 ripple)
      Last edited by Y. Signal; 03-03-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

looks familiar - is it for arcade machines?

Comment

Yes. It's currently sold by Suzo (model 42PP0606) and it's labeled as Prima Power MWP-606.

Comment

if you have the board out of the frame, check the soldering on the ajuster - i have seen those crack because they get bumped.

Comment

Thank you, I'll replace the solder of that adjuster to avoid future problems.

Those two big capacitors seem to be input filter, I have found this replacement: Nippon Chemi-con KMQ 220μF 250V (22x25 with terminal spacing of 10mm). Since I run at 230V I'd prefer KMQ 220uF 400V but they don't fit in the case.

Reading the datasheet I understand that Rubycon YXM are Standard capacitors but long life, so they'd be appropiate for General Purpose applications too. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Y. Signal View Post
                • Panasonic NHG 22uf 50V 105ºC Ripple: 65
                • Rubycon PX 47uF 50V 105ºC Ripple: 115
                • Rubycon PX 1uf 50V Ripple: 10
                • Rubycon PX 4.7uf 50V Ripple: 32
                For these small caps, consider using the popular entry-level low ESR Japanese caps such as:
                Nichicon PW, PS, PM, PJ, HE, HV
                Panasonic FC, FR, FM
                United Chemicon KY, KYB, KZE
                Rubycon YXJ

Panasonic NHG 105ºC has less ripple current than Capxon GS 85ºC, since they are general purpose would that be acceptable? I can't find 105ºC caps with the same or a bit more ripple current. Any better alternative? same with Capxon KM replacement.
                Don't worry about that at all.
                In general, GP caps (especially 85C caps) typically have higher ripple current rating at 120 Hz than low-ESR caps. But in a PSU, none of that really matters. You should just use whichever of these smaller caps has longer life. Nichicon PW, Panasonic FC, Chemicon KY, and Rubycon YXJ are excellent choices for that. So forget about looking at datasheets for these small caps.

It also has some Samxon that I suppose are fine, but I'm open to replace them for better alternatives.
                If they are small caps, go ahead and replace them. You're already recapping the whole PSU, so why not pitch a few more cents to get these too?

Since my power line is 220V I think replacing them for 450V or so would be a nice upgrade. Since they seem to be filters would low esr be acceptable for this? I can't find GP with these specs.
                • 22x25 Samxon LP 220uF 250V
                No, replacing them with 450V caps won't really do anything helpful (nor harmful) for your PSU. In fact, even going down with 200V caps would be OK, because these are used in series (about 160-170V DC across each in normal operation). On that note, if you were to really try to get 450V replacement caps for these, you would find that they'd be too big to fit in there. Moreover, like I said, there's no need to go beyond 200V/250V caps here. If anything, upgrading to 330 uF caps should give the unit a bit more "hold up" time in case of unstable AC line or brown-out. If space allows, 470 uF should be even better. But I wouldn't go beyond that for the sake of large inrush currents.
                Last edited by momaka; 03-04-2019, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much. What about Rubycon YXM for the small caps? they are rated 10.000 hours @ 105ºC.

For the filters I'll get Nippon Chemi-Con KMS 330μF 250V (22x30mm with 10mm between terminals), they fit perfectly in the case.
                  Last edited by Y. Signal; 03-04-2019, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much. What about Rubycon YXM for the small caps? they are rated 10.000 hours @ 105ºC.
                    Those will work too, and it's nice that they are rated for 10k hours.

But for SMPS, I still like to stick to low-ESR caps of some sort if possible. Again, not that it matters much for the small caps.

For the filters I'll get Nippon Chemi-Con KMS 330μF 250V (22x30mm with 10mm between terminals), they fit perfectly in the case.
                    Sounds good.

Comment

Great, thank you again. I also plan to replace 1 Rubycon YXG 3300μF 10V with the same model from Farnell since I suspect it may be fake.

Comment

I have replaced the two Samxon LP 220uF 250V with Rubycon VXH 390uF 250V instead of Nippon Chemi-con KMQ 220uF 250V. They are only 1cm larger so they fit well in the case.

I have replaced the Rubycon YXG 3300uF 10V and it looks cheaper to my eyes compared to the replacements I have received from Farnell. What do you think? I attach some photos, the Rubycon from the board is at the right. I'd say it's fake.

I'm still waiting for the pannies FC from RS to finish the recap.
                        Attached Files

Comment

They do look odd, however doing a fake with such a nice bung and all would seem counter productive.
                          If you are really curious maybe e-mail Rubycon and see if they respond?
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Nice idea, I'll contact them. In the photos they don't look that bad. The plastic and printing makes them look like a knock-off, in some respects they remember me to bad quality chinese caps.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Y. Signal; 03-05-2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Regarding the YXGs, the date code format on the new parts looks correct to me, while the date code format on the old parts does not. Unless Rubycon changed their formatting in the past 10 years or so.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The “3M” prefix denotes their Indonesia factory. The “S” prefix denotes their Seibu factory in Japan. The factory and datecodes look legit to me in accordance to the attached image.
                                Attached Files

Comment

^ Great information there Inspector Wats.... err, I mean Wester547.

Comment

I got a reply from Rubycon. They say that as a result of verification at their Quality Department, the product of the photograph was manufactured by them. As Wester547 said, No. S1650 is made in Japan factory and No. 3M1807 is made in Indonesia factory.

I finished the recap and the power supply works very nice. Thank you all for your help.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                    X