A Good Bench Magnifying Lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Good Bench Magnifying Lamp

Well this may not be a high tech piece of equipment but it's important just after soldering in that expensive 30 pin SMT IC to check for bridges. Or to check for cracked solder joints on a PCB.

It's a magnifying lamp to clamp onto your workbench.

I used to buy those crappy plastic ones from Staples I'm sure you've seen them.

They always seem to break the same way either the plastic clamp cracks sending the light right into your workbench. Or the other variant with the metal clamp and the plastic pin on the lamp which breaks.

I decided to give them my last 60 bucks and went online to find a better solution.

Here it is:

I finally found a reliable one that doesn't break. It took me longer than I care to admit to find but it was worth it. It's all metal and doesn't have that plastic pin that always snaps on the cheaper lamps. They do this on the cheap lamps because a metal pin in a metal socket would grind and squeak plus plastic is cheaper.

Here is the lamp:

http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-MAGNIFIE...6073927&sr=8-4

The Alvin ML255-B it's all metal construction. The pin and clamp are metal to prevent noise they inserted a bushing into the clamp. The springs are also contained torsion springs so it doesn't have those ugly extension springs either.

I've had it for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it. It uses a 22W circular florescent lamp and has a 1.75X lens. You can also buy different lenses from the manufacturer for more magnification.

I replaced the stock "Daylight Temperature" circular lamp with a standard white 4100K lamp since I like that temperature of light better.

The only small complaint I have with it is that the handle for tightening the up and down motion of the lamp head is plastic (the thing that looks like a faucet handle in the pic). But if that ever broke I would simply replace it with a wingnut and I'd be good so it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Re: A Good Bench Magnifying Lamp

Thanks for the info and review! I've been casually shopping these for a while. MCM Electronics sells a good variety, but it's hard to pick out things like the plastic pin you've had trouble with when you are shopping online or out of a catalog. I think I'll give this one a shot.

One quick question though, does it use a standard lamp, or at least something easy to find when it's time for a replacement?

Comment

Mine uses a 22 watt "Circline" fluorescent. Standard bulb for eons...
      veritas odium parit

Comment

I just use a pair of these and whatever lamp is already there.
        [Penny is to indicate their approximate size.]

I perch them out on the end of my nose so I can look over or through them as I need to.
        I have a pair at each desk, workbench, and in each tool box so there's always a pair handy where I'm working. That lets me immediately magnify where I'm already working instead of moving the work or a lamp around to another place.

They are 3.0x or 3.5x reading glasses. - Cost a whole $1 at the dollar store.

Those lamps -ARE- nice. I like them, but I usually 'float' back and forth between several simultaneous projects so I'd need 5 or 6 to cover every place I'm working without having to move one umpteen times a day.

Attached Files
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by Player2
          One quick question though, does it use a standard lamp, or at least something easy to find when it's time for a replacement?
          Yes the Circline 22W florescent can be found at any Home Depot or similar homecenter. I believe the 4100K replacement made by Phillips was 8 dollars or so. In addition to that florescents have a long life.

They look like this:

http://content.etilize.com/Large/1010421922.jpg
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Reading glasses, magnifier lamp, and a set of loupes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98722

They were a buck with the coupon.

Great for reading the numbers off SMD's.

Toast

....now where the hell did I leave my glasses...???????????
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Those loupes are nice I have an old jewelers one but those are nicer I'm picking a set up.

Comment

That set does look handy.

I have some like this pic which are very small so if you need to read the side of an old style 3-legged transistor you can usually get them right down on the PCB between the other components.

Also handy to polish up the sides of some exacto knife blades to use as mirrors when you need to pick numbers off the back side of something.
                Glass inspection mirrors are usually too big to get down in there.
                Attached Files

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Yeah I have one of those loops pictured just can't remember it's magnification at the moment.

Harbor freight does have their uses just stay away from their power and hand tool lines and you're good.

I'll never forget little old me was able to mushroom one of their 3/8" drive Pittsburgh sockets while breaking a caliper bolt loose.

I wasn't even using a breaker bar just a 3/8" ratchet. I had the bloody knuckles to prove it. I went back to Stanley sockets after that and got a full mechanics set never broke one. My smaller set from 10 years ago has gone through all types of hell and not a single broken socket. Smoother action on the ratchet too compared to HF (more teeth on the gear).
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I don't agree with you on that last one.
                    Sounds more like a case of the wrong tool for the job. Considering caliper bolts are generally torqued in the 60-85 Ft-Lb range, you should have been using a 1/2" drive socket and ratchet or a 3/8" Impact socket and a breaker bar to initially break it loose. That job is pushing standard a 3/8" drive and 3/8" socket past what they are designed for.

When you push tools limits you can break any of them, doesn't matter what brand.

From ~1978 to ~1996 I did A LOT automotive work on the side when I was in the States. I mostly did engine/tranny rebuilds/swaps, suspensions, brake work, starters, alternators, and such. [I wasn't into body work that much. I only did that for me.] For the first 6-7 years I used mostly Craftsman for sockets and wrenches. Trust me, they break. I used keep a coffee can in the corner just to to toss all the busted Craftsman wrenches, ratchets, and sockets into until my next trip to Sears. After that period I switched to mostly Pittsburgh and there's always been some Stanley, S&K, and Snap-On here and there. None are any better or worse than the others when you have enough going on to exclude one-off incidents. The thing is when you DO break a Pittsburgh, Craftsman, or Snap-On you have a place that isn't going to run you through whoops getting replacements. Places that stock S&K are simply hard to find. Stanley is usually sold by places that won't hand you the new tool on the spot and you either end up having to fill out papers or send it in to Stanley yourself to get your warranty replacement. That might have changed now but that's how it was then. [Walmart carries Stanley. Try taking a busted Stanley to Walmart to get it replaced.]

Another thing is that Pittsburgh is just one brand that Harbor Freight carries.

Total agreement that the 'house brands' of electric tools they carry is usually junk. But Harbor does carry other brands of electric tools too.

At various times I've seen Harbor stock: Stanley, DeWalt, Black and Decker, Makita, Skill, Rotozip, Victor[torches], Lincoln, Miller, Campbell Hausfeld, Drill Master, and even Craftsman.

And yes, they have the well known "Taiwan" disposable tools too! - LOL
                    Thing is those "Taiwan" tools at Harbor are NOT Pittsburgh brand tools as some people seem to think.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Harbor tools isn't as popular around here as Northern Tool.

They too have the cheaper in house northern brand stuff, they are not nearly as bad as a lot of harbor though. They can actually be pretty decent. But they also stock all the good brands at very good prices. They have about anything you need, even those cheap Chinese go karts and dirt bikes.

We bought a northern tools impact wrench and all the bits, and they are actually pretty nice. Also bought a lot of makita and dewalt tools there too. Even a Ingersoll-rand 80 gal air compressor on sale.

Harbor tool's inhouse brands are Chicago electric, drill master, central machinery, Central Pneumatic, U.S. General, and Pittsburg Tools.
                      Last edited by 370forlife; 10-21-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

The only Northern Industrial store I've ever been near was in Orlando, in 1982.
                        Was okay.
                        I bought a wood lathe there and misc other things.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

These were the the bolts holding the calipers to the slide pins on a 90 Corolla factory torqued to 17 ft lbs.

There I go veering off topic again ok.
                          </OFFTOPIC>

I tried to pick up those loupes from HF today and the only two boxes left were missing one loupe.

So I look on fleabay and a seller mysteriously close to that store had 6 on sale. He raided the place before me so I bought them from him additional 3 bucks shipping though.

It's good that the lens barrels are plastic the last thing you'd want is to put it down and short out something.
                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

What about the 5", 3 diopter that MCM Electronics often has for $30 + shipping?

Somebody said if you want a really big magnifier, check beauty shop supply houses.

Comment

larrymoencurly,
                              I've been meaning to say for a long time that I really like you teeth.
                              Are those factory or implants?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                  larrymoencurly,
                                  I've been meaning to say for a long time that I really like you teeth.
                                  Are those factory or implants?
                                  Veterinary cosmetic orthodontia. The doc's office is right next to the Eye Clinic For Animals (a real place in Phoenix, about 2300 W. Northern Ave.).

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                                    Well this may not be a high tech piece of equipment but it's important just after soldering in that expensive 30 pin SMT IC to check for bridges. Or to check for cracked solder joints on a PCB.

It's a magnifying lamp to clamp onto your workbench.

I used to buy those crappy plastic ones from Staples I'm sure you've seen them.

They always seem to break the same way either the plastic clamp cracks sending the light right into your workbench. Or the other variant with the metal clamp and the plastic pin on the lamp which breaks.

I decided to give them my last 60 bucks and went online to find a better solution.
                                    I found this site is a pretty good resource for reviews of magnifying lamp.
                                    I agree that the clamp on models are pretty much a no-brainer for sturdiness, but the issue I have is whether to get an LED one of a fluorescent one.
                                    Any thoughts?

Comment

Its also nice to have good all-around lighting at your workbench. (I.E. not just a magnifying lamp) I have two 10 watt halogen lamps, under a cabinet above my workbench. They light it up quite well. Of course, I am near-sighted, so I rarely need a magnifying glass
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by CadBaps View Post
                                        I found this site is a pretty good resource for reviews of magnifying lamp.
                                        This looks more as commercial front cover that reviews.

I agree that the clamp on models are pretty much a no-brainer for sturdiness,
                                        100% correct

but the issue I have is whether to get an LED one of a fluorescent one.
                                        Any thoughts?
                                        My vote goes to fluorescent, the light is bright white and uniform.
                                        With a usual 3X lens which has a bit less magnification but still is 1000 times better regarding parts inspection / PCB traces inspection and a bit friendly er about soldering.

At 5X or more its like trying to solder with a binocular on your head.
                                        The focused area is very small, and the LED are incapable to send uniform light at the center of the lens.

Lens made by true glass offer a clearer view, and they do not collect scratches, most lens at the cheap models are common plastic, which will fill up with lots of scratches even by just cleaning it.

Last and important detail is the mechanical strength of the metallic crane.

You will find quality only in solutions which cost 40-60 pounds.

Bellow is what I have and I did inspect it in a local shop before getting it.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X