HV wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HV wire

I need to extend the leads between a tiny 300mA inverter board and a small CCFL (these are flatbed scanner components). The wire markings identify it as AWM 3239 3kV-DC 150°C VW-1 with silicone rubber insulation. It doesn't specify the wire gauge but it looks to be around 24AWG. Anyway, I don't want to buy special high-voltage wire for this. Can I substitute?

Re: HV wire

I don’t know the answer about substituting wire,But ccflwarehouse dose sell small quantities of the HV and return wire.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Thanks but it's not worth the shipping charge to me.

What distinguishes high voltage wire? Is it better insulation? If so, I can just add heat shrink tubing to ordinary wire.

Comment

Originally posted by timelessbeing View Post
        What distinguishes high voltage wire? Is it better insulation?
        Yes.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

HV wire insulation is usually made of thick molded silicone.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The supply side (typically pink) is rated for 3kV and is 24 AWG.

The return is rated for 300Vand is 28AWG.

This info comes straight from ccflwarehouse.com website.
            Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

The colours of this one are grey and white.

Comment

White is the return wire.
                The supply wire can be any color other than white. I've seen blue, black, gray, and pink.

I'm an electrician by trade and to quote my boss: "Electricity doesn't care what color wire it's in."
                Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Current in the wire is in range of 20mA

Comment

Why is the thickness of the wires different. Isn't current the same for the whole circuit?

Comment

More insulation on one wire.

Comment

But wire gauge is the thickness of the conductor. I thought that insulation had its own rating system.

Comment

No idea then.

Ground wire can possibly return all the fault current from other lamps as well or could be made to sustain more mechanical damage than the hot wire.

Comment

Only that the ground wire is the thinner one in this case. It's simply a case of insulation thickness - maybe someone was wrong when he said the HV wire is thicker gauge.

I'm not going to splice one apart to find out, but i believe the wire gauge is the same only insulation is thicker on the HV line.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

OK that makes sense now.

Comment

Hi folks. Let me show you what NOT to do with high-voltage circuits. (see attached snapshots).

The white connector that you see attached to the outside of the black box goes to the CCFL (don't know exact voltage). It used to be soldered to the inverter board. I moved it to the outside of the box, and connected it to the board using some thick leads I chopped off some components. Then I surrounded the leads with hot glue.

In the 'after' pic you can see a black trail where electricity has arced through the hot glue. A separation of approximately 5mm. Evidently, hot glue is not a good insulator, and possibly, even worse than air. I'm pretty sure there is an air gap of roughly the same separation between the traces on the back of the board.

What do you guys think? Remove the glue and use as-is? Use something else as an insulator? Is the inverter fried and unusable now?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                                  HV wire insulation is usually made of thick molded silicone.
                                  Maybe bathtub silicone would make a good insulator?

Comment

Originally posted by timelessbeing View Post
                                    Use something else as an insulator?
                                    They make RTV162 and other specialty silicone potting materials specifically to be nonconducting. I'd recommend you look into one of those.

Comment

Scrape the carbonised PCB off and don't use hot glue there.

Comment

The hot glue had some additives or other impurities (dirt, moisture, etc.) in it that lowered its dielectric strength. In their pure form, almost all the plastics have greater dielectric strength than air at normal atmospheric pressure.

Comment

Working...
                                        X