Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this hot air rework station suiteable for recapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this hot air rework station suiteable for recapping?

Hi,

a pal of mine has made me a very good offer for a aoyue 6031 rework-station and ment that would be much better for soldering and so on.

http://www.ownta.com/aoyue-6031-siro...k-station.html

has anyone expieriences comparing standard soldering irons to hotair?

my only soldering expieriences are made with standard soldering irons so I would say im a bit of a beginner in soldering.
    is soldering with such a hotair tool harder to learn o is it easier?

Thanks
    nico-e

Re: is this hot air rework station suiteable for recapping?

IMO a bog standard soldering iron is still the best for large parts such as caps. A temperature controlled one works better, but i still do by with a regular one. I only use the hot air gun for SMD work.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yea.. I still use my soldering iron for caps etc too. If you can make good use of the hot air station though they're well worth having, & especially as you say you can get it cheap.
      Don't Bin It - Repair It.

Comment

you don't want to be soldering with hot air, unless it's smd work and solder paste. The heat generated to remove caps would be unnecessary and you risk damaging the board or having other components like smd caps fall off or slide about. A good soldering iron is the best tool to remove caps. Personally i use an iron and solder sucker but some prefer to use braid. Each to their own.

Comment

A hot air gun alone won't work for removing through hole components. SMD components are attached with a thin film of solder between the board and the gun which is easily heated with air. Through hole components require the entire board nearby to be heated to melt temperature and the board will be burned up long before the heat gets to the solder on the far side.

Used in conjunction with contact soldering guns and irons a hot air gun will help make hard problems easy and impossible problems possible.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
            A hot air gun alone won't work for removing through hole components. SMD components are attached with a thin film of solder between the board and the gun which is easily heated with air. Through hole components require the entire board nearby to be heated to melt temperature and the board will be burned up long before the heat gets to the solder on the far side.
            Not really, it works for thru-hole parts too. Things like a TL494 are easier to remove with hot air. Just wedge a screwdriver on one side of the chip, heat the board up till that side comes out, put the screwdriver on the other side, heat up again, done. It's a lot faster than soldering iron and desoldering braid. And no it doesn't burn the board.

I wouldn't try removing caps with one tho, you're likely to blow 'em up before they can be removed.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Tru-Hole TL494 can be unsoldered easily with a vacuum pump and you need to clean the holes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
                Tru-Hole TL494 can be unsoldered easily with a vacuum pump
                Yes, but the bloody chinese junker gets stuck after every 2 holes, plus it spits bits and pieces of solder all over the place even when it does work.

Comment

True

Comment

Working...
                  X