evga fz74 1500uf 6.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

evga fz74 1500uf 6.3

I've been looking off and on but I always seem to find the info I find overwhelming or can't seem to comprehend it correctly. Basically what I found in searches on the forum and google referenced some Panasonic caps that were 10x20, but I wanted to be able to maintain the low profile caps to support clearance for the next slot. What I measured if correct, was 10mm width x 11.5-12mm height? Not positive it's exact on the dot. I found APSC6R3ELL152MJB5S to appear identical in size and basic specs, and granted they're a bit pricey, I feel that ordering a few of them will allow me to fix 3 cards I have and if it's a quality part, it may be worth it in the end. Anyone have any input to offer? Are these an equivalent/better choice?

Forgive my fail cellphone pix

Re: evga fz74 1500uf 6.3

Panasonic FM is a good choice as long as it fits on there but unfortunately it doesnt.

The caps you found will definitely work. You can probably use polymer caps as well at up to half the uF rating if the ESR on the poly is the same or better. Its the ESR, not the uF that is msot important. With that said, it might not be a good idea to go below half the original uF if you poly mod.

Replace ALL the FZ caps....they can fail violently and destroy a card.
    Last edited by hardwareguy; 12-14-2009, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Correct part if they are all 1500uF 6.3v caps.

If you are sure of the values, then that is the correct part to use.

As hardwareguy said, replace -all- the FZ's, even if not visibly bad.

Toast
      Last edited by Toasty; 12-14-2009, 03:21 AM.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

yeah I literally have 3 video cards I've aquired with bad FZ. I seem to have the same abundant findings with KZG caps on motherboards as well. So you're saying I should do roughly 560-820 of the polymer version rather than the 1500? I think that replacement I'm looking at is a polymer if i'm not mistaken.

Comment

NOT on video cards. Stay with the correct capacity (1500uF).

Yes, the number you gave -is- polymer.

Toast

BTW - What is board model #?
          Last edited by Toasty; 12-14-2009, 11:21 AM.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Lol funny i just saw your Avatar on an advertisement Toasty

ok so in a nutshel it's a safebet then overall? just stick with that rating and such? I honestly don't know the ESR of the old ones and will try finding a data sheet but isn't the ESR typically lower with Polymers or am I wrong?

oh and board is an evga 7600gt256mbddr3 (I THINK, had to call gf and ask her to find it)

Hmm. fail. now that i think about it that's way to vague >.< She didn't give me any other chracters. This looks identical too it http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130062
            Last edited by Zero Hour; 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

If you find the animated one with him drumming his toes, let me know.

FZ:
              Ripple = 1800mA
              ESR = 0.022Ω

PSC:
              Ripple = 5560mA
              ESR = 0.010Ω

Those pics show 10 caps on board. How many are FZ ?

With 3 boards, you'll at least hit the price break-point on the ones you've shown.

What are the other caps values? Brands?

>>Forgive my fail cellphone pix<<

Then take a better one. Not like you're gonna run out of film...

Borrow someones camera....?

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy
                The caps you found will definitely work. You can probably use polymer caps as well at up to half the uF rating if the ESR on the poly is the same or better. Its the ESR, not the uF that is msot important. With that said, it might not be a good idea to go below half the original uF if you poly mod.
                Hardwareguy, you only use half the capacitance for polys if your poly-modding the CPU VRM. In all other cases, stick to the original capacitance even if you are replacing them with polys.

Zero Hour, Use 1500uF caps regardless of whether you are replacing them with polymer or electrolytic caps on video cards.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I was using my cell cause i can bluetooth straight to the computer rather than borrow the gf's 10mp and have to remove the memory card and all that madness. I couldn't seem to get better pic results either >.<

Yes there are 10 caps, and they are all FZ. the smaller caps are FZ74 as well but 470uf 16v.

And btw, I don't mean to sound so clueless :/ but the loser number of the ESR on the polymer, indicates lower ESR? Or is it the other way? Asking because of the ohms symbol. The higher ripple is not important?
                  Last edited by Zero Hour; 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Lower ESR is better. Yes the unit for ESR is the Ohm, the ESR is a measure of resistance.
                    Higher ripple is better. Ripple refers to the amount of ripple in the DC voltage that the capacitor can handle without overheating.

Comment

Ok and that lower number IS less resistance right? I should remember this I guess from my younger years of playing with stereos but wanted to be sure

Comment

many of those caps are on 1.25,2.5,and 3.3v lines.and the 16v are on 12v.
                        i often fire up the card in a board to measure.
                        i use 560@4v polys on most of those cards.the 1500's are only used to get the required esr in a cheap part.and fz are the cheapest of the cheap!

Comment

my gf's cam pwnz me

Comment

I have this same issue on a slightly different video card. Is the upshot of this thread that the APSC6R3ELL152MJB5S replacements are fine? I did not understand Kc8adu's final reply and if i should use something different? I am not an electronics guy, but how hard can it be to replace the caps? Should be something me and my 10 year old can do, no?

I found a source (digi-key) for the original ones listed @ $2 apiece. There are 6 on the card, so $12 sounds ok.

- is there much a chance that these blowing did other damage to the card componants? It's just the tops that blew.

- should i also replace the fz76 470uf 16v caps? None of those blew but half of the 6.3v caps blew.

anyone have a preferred website to but from?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaRex View Post
                              I am not an electronics guy, but how hard can it be to replace the caps? Should be something me and my 10 year old can do, no?
                              Just don't solder them like this son and his dad (or use Radio Shack caps).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkttYRrrLw

Soldering and desoldering on your lap (near the "crown jewels") seems like a quick trip to the emergency room.

Reminds me of that lady who put hot coffee between her thighs while driving.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                              X