X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test caps on board ?

Hi,
    New on board, hello to all from France.
    Here is my problem. We got huge number of products with faulty capacitors. Here we speack about filtering capacitor (supply 3V3, 2V5, 1V2 to CPU). They are Teapo and Luxon (2006 production), 100 / 470 UF, 105 degre. First, is there a way to check a capacitor on the PCB, without removing it (save lot of time...)? I tryed with a capacimeter, but as it measure the time to load the components to find its value, its works fine when this component is not on the PCB, but not at all when the component is mounted on the PCB. Maybe there is other kinds of capacimeter? .
    One of this capacitor is near a regulator, is 105 Degres usually enough? is there standard temperature range for capacitor?
    Thankyou

Re: Test caps on board ?

You can use an ESR meter to measure capacitors on a board
    However there is a limitation, if for example you have 9x bad capacitors and 1x good the ESR will show as good, since it sees them as one big bank of capacitors

I recommend Bob Parkers ESR meter, search for it here on the board if you want more info on it

And Welcome to Badcaps!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Test caps on board ?

I was not aware of specific ESR meter, so I just had a look at B Parkers ESR meter. Any idea on the principle behind this? I think it send a frequency on the board...
      On the board, in parallel with the chemical capacitor I need to check, there are 6 x 4,7 nF CMS, from your experience do you think it should still works...
      Thanks a lot for your reply!

Comment

Working...
      X