X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What make and value of caps?

Hi there,

My very first post! yay!

Anyhat, I have a non-functioning 9600GT. Can anyone tell me the values and manufacturer of the caps in the pics. No name just an "F" logo. Here are what's written on them:

833 823b 761b 833b
    821 152 122 331
    2.5v 2.5 04 16

I assume the second row is the values e.g 152uF?

Thanks in advance
    (I have done a few cap replacement jobs on a few mobos and LCD power supplies. Interestingly enough I have an LG where I have replaced all the caps and it still does the same thing which is come on for a millisecond and then go almost completely dark. I'm mystified. I would really like that one fixed as it has DVI)
    Attached Files

Re: What make and value of caps?

Fujitsu FPCAP, regarded as a good brand

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidca...r.html#fujitsu
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

the values are 820 - 1500 - 1200 - 330 uF.
      the value can be read as xy*10^z

but as Per stated these are pretty good ones so the problem is most likely to be elsewhere.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Thanks guys I really learnt something today i.e how to read them properly.

(Now where is that embarrassed smily???)

So... I followed my gut instinct that since the card is actually new (can't return it as i bought it from someone who bought a whole auction lot at a liquidation auction for about 10$ !!!!! (the business liquidated and they had sole rights to that brand)...and I could not find any tell-tale signs except one cap that was slightly skew ... it was possible that the card actually works but my PSU is not powerful enough (400w) even though that is within spec. I don't have a gamer PSU and I suspected the efficiency was <70%. So I took it to a friend who has a gaming rig and hooked it up and it ....worked (embarrased smily) on a 460w CoolerMaster gaming PSU.... At least I now know it works I just need a better PSU. At the moment I am struggling with a mobo also bought from the auction guy for 40$. (a third of what it goes for here (120$)

It is a Jetway I43GA mobo (G43+ICH10 chipset). I only have the PSU, mobo with E2140 LGA775 CPU and 2x512MB RAM hooked up but it won't startup.

Not even the PSU comes alive and the ICH10 chipset heatsink gets warm even though it does not boot. This mobo has traditional lytic caps. I can swop out the mobo but for a lower chipset and less functionality (G35+ICH7 chipset) which bugs me as I really like the ICH10 (6 SATA VS 4 etc)...

Anyhat, on a side note it is VERY hard to get hold of those damn Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors here in South Africa esp CApe Town. Most ppl I phoned thought I was speaking French...so I am really glad I do not need them now but dread the day I might...

Anyhat thanks again for the helpful replies.

Comment

jetway=crap caps

recap that board

hope this helps
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OK, further to the motherboard issue:

I have done random samples of the caps on the board. None of the caps are swollen or leaking. All the samples checked were well in spec (checked only with Fluke multimeter as I don't have an ESR meter) except the main 16v caps(FJ pic attached) next to the CPU socket (1800 uF). All 3 read around 1700 uF. The rest of the caps around the CPU are the solid polymer Fujitsu FPCAP variety which I did not check as these are touted as being good caps?

Is 1700 uF low enough to cause the CPU not to initialize? Also I cannot find a single 1800 uF cap anywhere in my town. Everyone only has either 1500uF or 2200 uF caps. I am waiting for the main Rubycon supplier to get stock in.
            Attached Files

Comment

You really need to measure the ESR. The ESR is more important than the actual capacitance.

These capacitors that you took a picture of are Panasonic FJ series. These are touted as being quite good (comparable to Chemicon KZG, Rubycon MBZ, Nichicon HM).

It is unlikely that these capacitors are giving you trouble. Having said this it may be the case.

And yes it is generally acceptable to use 1500uF or 2200uF capacitors in place of 1800uF capacitors. Again this is mainly because the ESR is more important than the actual capacitance.

Comment

Unfortunately things like ESR meters and scopes over here cost in the region of $700 here (just over half my salary) so it's not viable unless I was in that business/field and had a daily use for it.

Comment

uhm.. tried resetting the CMOS already?
                  P43 Chipset + Pentium DC 2140 sound like someone tried to overclock it..
                  or the RAM timings in the bios are wrong (if you tried to test it with different RAM)

Comment

There are a few solid polymer caps that I can't decipher. Could someone please help? The values are:

SVP

Purple half-moon depicting polarity. So is this a 180 uF 16 volt cap?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                      uhm.. tried resetting the CMOS already?
                      P43 Chipset + Pentium DC 2140 sound like someone tried to overclock it..
                      or the RAM timings in the bios are wrong (if you tried to test it with different RAM)
                      I did reset the bios jumper for defaults. i did not try different ram though as it should still post and complain if the ram is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by veroxious
                        I did reset the bios jumper for defaults. i did not try different ram though as it should still post and complain if the ram is bad?
                        sometimes yes, sometimes no

try different ram

or you were sent a crap board... ebay does that sometimeres
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                        X