My Latest 8-core Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Latest 8-core Project

I just finished scraping all that gray crud off the NB, SB, and the GLAN controller and buttering it up with some nice fresh arctic silver... Heatsinks should be here tues....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

so whatchya gonna do with it? new bc web server? I've never exp. any slow down with the current one though. hmm, pr0n serv?
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

^
        Probably put it in the office and use it. The board is a high-end workstation board (no onboard video), so its not really intended to be a server....although it would make a fine one. Since I can't SLI it (has the ports, and the Seaburg chipset supports it, but it doesn't have the nvidia bridge controllers, which is required), I'll run a single card and 2 monitors.....
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Old Trusty 'Frankenserver' has been decommissioned today, its duties offloaded to a temporary shit system pending the commissioning of Frankenserver's replacement, FrankenMama.......

The heatsinks arrived, and I did a final round of tests, all A-OK.

Of course some pics:

Frankenserver shut down for the last time....

Patiently waiting....

A few more of the retiree...

...and since I'll be losing my SLI abilities (Seaburg chipset supports it, but the board doesn't have the required nvidia SLI bridge chip to make it active), I'm going to go with a dual monitor setup instead. I'm not a gamer, so this will be far more beneficial to me, as I'm more in the 'power user' class, not the gamer class. Its not uncommon for me to have 10 windows open, so a pair of 24" 16:10 monitors will be very nice (the monitors shown below are 22"). I've been testing this on my hotrod Dell Precision 470.

I will commission this system as my office machine as well, relegating the Asus All in one to the workbench (where you see the iMac in the pics). The duties the Frankenserver performed were a complete waste of power, so on top of those duties, this machine will also be a daily use system in the office as well. She's well on her way though.
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Looks quite professional. Getting rid of the SLI isn't such a bad idea, though. Should also save you a few watts (and few $$) that way, too.
            I like the keyboard the best, though. Probably one of those nice and clicky ones (just the way I like them) . I can't stand the cheap flat plastic USB crap they sell nowadays. Goes nicely with that dot-matrix printer.

Comment

^
              Yes, that is an old clicky keyboard. A place was clearing those out abotu 11 years ago, and I bought 5 of them, brand new in box. I'm glad I did, they're impossible to find today!!

It's alive! Encountered no problems putting it together. I do love supermicro boards in their intended supermicro cases....the front panel header and LED's are a standard ribbon, just plugs into the board....no guessing if you have the polarity backward for the LED's, and then of course the mess of those little annoying wires... I also stuck a pair of 160GB velociraptors in, set as a raid1 for the boot array.... It had a pair of WD blues. To their credit, the blues performed better than I expected on the 3ware controller, and were 100% reliable. They ran for 24/7 for about 2 years. Never had any problems with them being in a RAID or any other strange problems...

The Tyan S2895 removed from the case:

Empty case in need of a blowjob from the air compressor

All blown out and the new board installed:

No build is complete without atleast one ziptie mod....here's mine... The airflow over the RAM was lacking, and this FB memory gets miserably hot unless the onboard fan controller is disabled and the fans run full speed (insanely serverish loud)....so in comes a 120mm 4 pin fan I scavenged out of an old HP media center PC to the rescue. Being 4-pin, it plays nice with the onboard fan controller. I can keep the fan controller in quiet mode, and the memory stays nice and cool. The fan is zip tied to the metal mesh, nice and firm with a couple strips of felt between the fan and the case, so it won't vibrate or rattle. Fan looks like it was born there!!

The four 80mm front fans. All the fan headers on the motherboard are in use. Another thing I love about supermicro, they put plenty of fan headers on their boards, and are very controllable in the BIOS.

...Houston, we have ignition!

Just for the XP haters, its XP Pro x64!

all 8 cores and 16gb of PC6400!! hello FrankenMama!!
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I think it's funny you're not taking the full advantage of such an awesome computer...
                I think you know why, you even hinted at it yourself.
                *cough* XP *cough*

Anyway, is it noisy? Or quiet?

Comment

you want more of those clicky keyboards? find a goodwill computer works. we had THOUSANDS

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    I think it's funny you're not taking the full advantage of such an awesome computer...
                    *cough* XP *cough*

He is using 64-bit XP. I don't know of any reason why any other version of Windows would run better on that computer.

Comment

*cough* XP *cough*

Anyway, is it noisy? Or quiet?
                      I want the power used for applications, not all that power just to run bloatware that won't do anything more than X64 will do. Try again.

Its very quiet. No louder than any off the shelf system. If I turn off the fan controller, then all the fans run at full speed, some of them at 8500RPM....so yea, that's quite noisy and very windy!
                      Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      you want more of those clicky keyboards? find a goodwill computer works. we had THOUSANDS
                      I can get ratty used ones by the hundreds here too...these were NEW....now find me some of those of this model...
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        I want the power used for applications, not all that power just to run bloatware that won't do anything more than X64 will do. Try again.
                        And for those who do not happen to have a copy of XP x64, we use linux (I use mageia 2 w/ gnome 3)...

Its very quiet. No louder than any off the shelf system. If I turn off the fan controller, then all the fans run at full speed, some of them at 8500RPM....so yea, that's quite noisy and very windy!
                        That's my only beef with my supermicro rig... it is pretty noisy (no fan controller). Even swapping the CPU fans only made it semi-tolerable... the system before it was very quiet, a sharp contrast.

That said, I still like it... as long as I have music on the noise isn't an issue...

I can get ratty used ones by the hundreds here too...these were NEW....now find me some of those of this model...
                        I have a bunch similar that I may need to re-home... in good condition too. Various brands, some at, some ps/2, some clicker than others... I have a rather noisy ZEOS AT keyboard in the bunch...

I use a bunch of newer clicksters with media buttons... so the old "plain" ones are of little use... Heck, even my 3 laptops have semi-clicky keyboards... plenty of key travel. none of the current crap. Probably because they are "pro" models (2 Magnesium Latitudes and a Gateway solo).
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                          Just for the XP haters, its XP Pro x64!

*cough* XP *cough*

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                          My old work has 2 huge cabinets full of them. I/we were supposed to sort through them when we were organizing last winter, but fortunately no one had time for that, so we left them alone (I just pulled the newer good ones and put them on a separate pile). I hope no one has thrown them out yet. Too bad I don't work there anymore cause now I just don't feel comfortable asking my boss if I can take a few. But perhaps I should anyways??

All of them are used, but some are almost untouched. We had quite a few Dell QuietKeys (LoudKeys? lol). Those and some of the older HP/Compaq ones have some serious weight to them. Metal back covers. One of them is easily heavier than 3 newer cheap USB ones.

Comment

again I run into people saying this. Chances are with a system, win7 will run better then XP. Its better with multiple threads, and can take more advantage of that hardware than xp can (even 64 bit). teamed up with a good dx9/10/11 video card, even better. I notice you have an evga card (can tell from the cards bottom sticker in one of your pics)

I would occasionally run into new ones. just like mentioned above, companies sometimes have surpluses of such things and throw (in my case donate) them away believing they serve no real use

Comment

Chances are with a system, win7 will run better then XP. Its better with multiple threads, and can take more advantage of that hardware than xp can (even 64 bit).
                              this

Comment

again I run into people saying this. Chances are with a system, win7 will run better then XP. Its better with multiple threads, and can take more advantage of that hardware than xp can (even 64 bit). teamed up with a good dx9/10/11 video card, even better. I notice you have an evga card (can tell from the cards bottom sticker in one of your pics)
                                Nothing I run will take advantage of dx10....hell, I really dont know of anything out there that touches DX11 yet. Any thread gains from 7 will be destroyed by its suck balls-ish overhead, so it will actually harm, not help. I'm not doing this to be different, I have tried it... If 7 were worth a shit for things I do, I'd use it....but its just not there yet.... I also like XP. I'd still be using win2k if there were a 64 bit x86 version.... There's a 64 bit itanium version, but that doesn't help me. The point being, 7 aint the greatest, sorry. If it weren't for XP, I'd be running Linux or OSX over 7. I'm sure there will come a time when I have to say goodbye to trusty XP, but that won't come for a looong time!! The corporate world will keep it alive for another decade atleast. Hell, many corporations still use win2k. The video card is one of those 7600GT's. I'm looking into a few others, that is just temporary. probably a quaddro...yes sucky gaming cards, but great for everything else....

...and for your little parrot (shovenose), I'll stack my measly used little XP system against anything you've got... Up for it?
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

vista had suck ballish overhead. I've seen 7 run beautifully on quad core systems with 4gb that xp ran slower

I've seen higher processing power taken up because of XP's 2d rendering, which is barely directdraw. explorer is pretty much cpu based rendering. I've seen scrolling web pages have problems when a flash app is up in a browser on XP, but not on 7. Why? cause 7's video is pretty much hardware accelerated. True there is no performance difference between dx9/10/11 with windows gui cause it used dx9 no matter what, but it used some nice d3d rendering to make windows look awesome, but be video accelerated, taking tasks off the cpu

when was the last time you tried 7? have you?

Comment

when was the last time you tried 7? have you?
                                    On a personal system, I havent used it since shortly after its official release. I set it up for people all the time though....I did one just the other day.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I don't hate XP, but I despise having the start menu across the side.

Anyhow, it looks great otherwise.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                                        That's just a personal preference....Always liked them that way, I believe thats why Billy Gates made them movable... Especially with widescreen monitors. Horizontal real estate is at a premium compared to vertical....so taskbar on the side... its even better on a 16:9. I always use 16:10 wides though.

BTW, this message posted from the new girl...
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

new...girl?

Comment

Working...
                                          X