Dell latitude 5590 turns off after CPU is 60 +/- 62 Celcius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell latitude 5590 turns off after CPU is 60 +/- 62 Celcius

I have here a Dell latitude 5590 LA-F412P (i7 + NVIDIA GeForce MX130 dedicated GPU) with an issue.

The laptop works normally for a time and suddenly it's turning itself completely off (in Windows 10 and also in de bios > running diagnostic) and have to wait a few minutes before it can turned on again (pressing the power button does nothing), it looks like a CPU heat issue.

When I start in the diagnostic the memory (32GB memory, so it will take some time) test, I noticed that the laptop turns itself of when the CPU thermistor has reached 62 Celsius.
    When running the full diagnostic, it's testing the fan and this is successful, so it should can start the fan when the CPU is getting to hot.

I do have a other Dell latitude 5590 LA-F412P laptop and have changed the cooling block and fan, still the same issue and this other laptop has no problems with the swapped cooling block and fan (in both situations I have changed the cooling-paste).

The newest Dell bios version was already installed, I did placed a older version but this did not changed a thing (when flashing, I cooled the cooling block with an external fan).

As soon the CPU thermistor has reached 62 Celsius, the laptop turns off and the laptop does not start the fan. With the working laptop, the laptop starts the fan around 61/62 Celsius.

One more strange thing is, when the laptop turns itself off and I start it again after a few minutes, I get the message:
    "Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program. Invalid configuration information - Please run SETUP program."

So, after the laptop shut itself off the date and time gets deleted (also after setting a bios password to preventing to make changes). The bios battery is 3V, so this should not be a problem.

Any suggestions how to proceed.
    Last edited by diamon; 05-13-2022, 01:49 PM. Reason: Title fix

Re: Dell latitude 5590 turns off after CPU is 60 +/- 62 Celcius

How much voltage do you have rtc circuit . Maybe something wrong in it circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
      How much voltage do you have rtc circuit . Maybe something wrong in it circuit.
      I have removed the main battery (so not the RTC Cell) and changed the date and time in the bios.
      After removing the power adapter and waited some time. After replacing (only) the power adapter and entering the bios, the date and time is still the same.
      According to my knowledge, this should mean that the RTC circuit is functioning correctly.

I have tested also the laptop (still without the main battery connected) with the power adapter connected > removed the RTC Cell > entered the bios and the date and time is still correct > turned the laptop off > removed the power adapter (waited a few seconds) > placed (only) the power adapter back and before entering the bios I did now get the same message "Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program. Invalid configuration information - Please run SETUP program."

Comment

Check double diode in rtc circuit. So when you have adapter plugged in the date/time wil be saved when you removed the adapter is gone. So something is still not right in circuit check double diode.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
          Check double diode in rtc circuit. So when you have adapter plugged in the date/time wil be saved when you removed the adapter is gone. So something is still not right in circuit check double diode.
          So when you have adapter plugged in the date/time wil be saved
          Yes, but without the main battery and RTC Cell / bios battery connected.

When you removed the adapter is gone
          Also correct, but still without the main battery and RTC Cell / bios battery connected.

I did the same tests with working laptop (the other one), and then also the date and time needs to be set again.

Comment

Working...
          X