• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wine Fridge Power Board

Originally posted by goontron View Post
    RTFT
    Peltier cooler.
    man trouble?
    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
      man trouble?
      http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rtft
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

shame your far away,ive got around 20-25 valve radios in the garage,must fix em soon !
        fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
        please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

I took some better pics. The thick yellow wire (chassis ground) was in the center of the old boards. The new ones didn't have that spot available so I attached it next to the ground for the Peltier.

The second pic is of the right side. Each side has CN1 which I believe is the on/off switch for the lights inside each side or "zone". CN3-Fan I have for each exterior fan on the heat sinks. CN4-Fan is a single wire that joins both boards. CN5-LED-Fan is a 3-wire port for the front LED panel and interior fan; one on each side. The last port is not visible in the pic. It is CN2; a black and red wire that is only on the right side. This port is open on the left.

I unplugged the right side and turned on the fridge. The left side has been running all day. As soon as I plugged in the right side, the left immediately died. Maybe I have something plugged in wrong?
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I believe you are right that you have them connected wrong or the board you bought is not directly compatible with the one you are replacing. The unit I had was a single board. It had similar connections. I did not have a front led on the unit just the inside led. The inside led stayed on all the time. This was normal. The CN1, NTC connector went inside to Rheostat/ thermal couple connection. To check this I disconnected CN1 connector and measure the resistance while I adjusted the temperature control knob. I got a reading of about 10 K ohm when fully cold and 14 K ohms when set to the warmest. The only chassis ground I had was from the incoming AC wire to a screw on the chassis. The AC ground and the DC ground was made on the board with some low amount of resistance between them. I would ohm out the fan connections to 12 volts to check each fan I connected to the 12 Volts. I would do this when everything is connected as somehow the fans are sharing the 12 volt wires and also possibly the grn. wire. Also, inside led was connect to the blue and white wires. You will have to ohm these out. I think I had a yellow and black wire going to the rheostat/thermocouple

Comment

The boards are exact. I pulled the jumper wire that joins the two boards and it seems to be running like it should. The left side fan slowed and eventually stopped again but I happened to check the temp on that zone and it was where it should be. My basement where I'm working on this is cool so maybe that's been part of the deal all along. I would think the fan should still be on the whole time. I just don't get the beeping coming from the boards.

Comment

Oh the fridge has two power boards?... one for each side, with fans/Peltier for each side too?
                Then it would need a Master/Slave configuration- unless there are two independent temperature sensors (NTC thermistors).
                If a single temperature sensor is "shared", then I think the second board needs a jumper/wire removed. Otherwise, connecting it would upset the mutual temperature reading.

Also, one side could be a responding a few degrees different from the other. Don't expect each side to have exactly the same setpoint, but it sounds like they are way off when you run two boards.

The squealing sound from the power supplies is normal when they have a light load. I wouldn't worry about it, esp. the new boards do it also

The IC in a socket looks like a microcontroller. If this is true, then there might be firmware differences. I would put the old MCU in the new power board and see if it behaves differently (i.e. master/slave).

Comment

I would Google for the owners manual. This will tell you the operating temperature. To tell if your basement is to low. It should also tell you why the boards are beeping. If it is nothing to be concerned about then you can always try to disconnect the piezo electric device. If the Peltiers turn off so will the fan because it is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                    Oh the fridge has two power boards?... one for each side, with fans/Peltier for each side too?
                    Then it would need a Master/Slave configuration- unless there are two independent temperature sensors (NTC thermistors).
                    If a single temperature sensor is "shared", then I think the second board needs a jumper/wire removed. Otherwise, connecting it would upset the mutual temperature reading.

Also, one side could be a responding a few degrees different from the other. Don't expect each side to have exactly the same setpoint, but it sounds like they are way off when you run two boards.

The squealing sound from the power supplies is normal when they have a light load. I wouldn't worry about it, esp. the new boards do it also

The IC in a socket looks like a microcontroller. If this is true, then there might be firmware differences. I would put the old MCU in the new power board and see if it behaves differently (i.e. master/slave).
                    Correct; two boards, two peltiers. They both held temp around 52 degrees in my basement which is about 55. I brought it upstairs and one side maintains a temp of about 62 and the other is not doing any cooling again. The fan is running though. I don't expect the two to be the same; they never were. I have to believe that there is only one temperature sensor. The jumper wire I mentioned previously connects the grounds of the CN4 pins from each board. I didn't have this connected in my final testing in the basement and all was well. I did connect it when I brought it upstairs. I'm going to take it out again before replacing the Peltier that doesn't seem to be working again. It is new.
                    Your master/slave theory sounds valid here but I don't see where I could specify one or the other on the boards.

Comment

I found the removable chips and swapped them in. Both sides are set at 54 and I currently have one side at 64 and one at 71. Both were five degrees higher when I shut it off to swap the chips; so it's cooling but very slowly and not like it should. This is really strange. The fans are running fine.

Comment

Perhaps the place you are getting the Peltiers are lying about their specs. That was the case from the place I had bought the Peltiers. The refrig I had said it would go down to 37 degrees F max when the ambient temp is 70 F. My refrig would only go down to 62 degrees F. You can but an amp meter in series with the Peltier to find the current draw. If you had the manual it would tell you what output wattage of the power supply which is basically the wattage the Peltiers draw. Then figure the current expected P/E=I. Then divide the I by the number a Peltiers, that will give you the current draw through each Peltier. You can test the Peltier before you put it in the cooler by connecting it to the power supply with a DC amp meter in series and seeing how much current you draw. Only do this for a short period of time otherwise the Peltier will burn out. My reading on the new Peltier I bought only got to 2.6 Amps and it would go no higher. They were rated at 6.5 amps max but they would had burned out at 2.6 amps.

Comment

That could very well be. I've seen an improvement since swapping the microcontrollers but not where it should be. This morning I had one at 64 and on at 69. I got these Peltiers on eBay from China. Is there a "local" source of choice?

Comment

If it is a TEC1-12706 from China it will not meet the specifications. These are the ones I had got. They cost around $3 to $4 a piece. The ones in the US that probably will work cost around $21 apiece. This is unfortunate as the unit a person puts them in is probably worth no more than $40. Also, this thread;
                            Thermo electric pcb power supply (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
                            JOELDJOHNSON
                            there is a discussion of the power supply and I wrote my experience with these Peltiers. I ended up throwing the refrigerator in the trash because the cost of replacing the Peltiers would had been $42 and shipping and tax.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                              If it is a TEC1-12706 from China it will not meet the specifications. These are the ones I had got. They cost around $3 to $4 a piece. The ones in the US that probably will work cost around $21 apiece. This is unfortunate as the unit a person puts them in is probably worth no more than $40. Also, this thread;
                              Thermo electric pcb power supply (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
                              JOELDJOHNSON
                              there is a discussion of the power supply and I wrote my experience with these Peltiers. I ended up throwing the refrigerator in the trash because the cost of replacing the Peltiers would had been $42 and shipping and tax.
                              Was that supposed to be a link? I guess I can search it. My fridge is a Wine Enthusiast 12 bottle dual-zone that was about $200. I prefer to keep it. I noticed that the ones I bought were 60W and there are both 72W and 92W available as well.

Comment

Your early pics show a grn/gry cable to CN1, and the latest show blu/wht - so I think that's two temperature sensors. CN2 is supposed to be out on one board for a shared sensor configuration but I don't see it in the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by jkessler00 View Post
                                  Was that supposed to be a link? I guess I can search it. My fridge is a Wine Enthusiast 12 bottle dual-zone that was about $200. I prefer to keep it. I noticed that the ones I bought were 60W and there are both 72W and 92W available as well.
                                  As I said before you can test the Peltier by connecting it up to a DC amp meter setting on your multimeter, set to the 10 amp range. Just put the meter in series with one side of the Peltier connecting it to your power supply. If the Peltier is rated at 60 watts max current is 60/Volts= current. If the power supply is supplying 12 volts DC to the Peltier, Max current will be 5 Amps. It will actually be closer to 4.5 amps. If the Max current you read when the Peltiers are not being connected to a heat sink is 2.6 amps. This Peltier is only sinking about little more than 1/2 of what it say it is suppose to sink. At 2.6 amps at 12 volts it will only provide 31.2 watts about 1/2 of what it is rated at. This will tell you if the Peltier specs are false. I am sure if you call up a place like Newark Electronics and tell them your problem with the Chinese Peltier and ask them if they have one that actually meets specs. They will provide you with that. You can asked them if they will guarantee that they will work as specified. I would do this because I would not want to pay $21 for each one and then find out they are no good. Also, you need the user manual to the refrig in order to know what it is suppose to do.
                                  It is critical as to the way the Peltiers are put in as to not damage them. The way the wire come out of the heat sink is important. If the wires are allowed to be bent down below the Peltier it can cause them to crack. Very small cracks you can see under a magnifying glass. So make sure the wires are located on the flat surface not the curved surface. Both sides of the sink need heat sink compound. That is both the hot and cold side need heat sink compound. The pressure tightening the screws need to be firm as to apply pressure but not so cranked down as to break the devices. That is all the information I can offer you.
                                  Last edited by keeney123; 01-06-2015, 01:43 AM. Reason: paragraph

Comment

As I said before you can test the Peltier by connecting it up to a DC amp meter setting on your multimeter, set to the 10 amp range. Just put the meter in series with one side of the Peltier connecting it to your power supply. If the Peltier is rated at 60 watts max current is 60/Volts= current. If the power supply is supplying 12 volts DC to the Peltier, Max current will be 5 Amps. It will actually be closer to 4.5 amps. If the Max current you read when the Peltiers are not being connected to a heat sink is 2.6 amps. This Peltier is only sinking about little more than 1/2 of what it say it is suppose to sink. At 2.6 amps at 12 volts it will only provide 31.2 watts about 1/2 of what it is rated at. This will tell you if the Peltier specs are false. I am sure if you call up a place like Newark Electronics and tell them your problem with the Chinese Peltier and ask them if they have one that actually meets specs. They will provide you with that. You can asked them if they will guarantee that they will work as specified. I would do this because I would not want to pay $21 for each one and then find out they are no good. Also, you need the user manual to the refrig in order to know what it is suppose to do. It is critical as to the way the Peltiers are put in as to not damage them. The way the wire come out of the heat sink is important. If the wires are allowed to be bent down below the Peltier it can cause them to crack. Very small cracks you can see under a magnifying glass. So make sure the wires are located on the flat surface not the curved surface. Both sides of the sink need heat sink compound. That is both the hot and cold side need heat sink compound. The pressure tightening the screws need to be firm as to apply pressure but not so cranked down as to break the devices. That is all the information I can offer you.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                      Your early pics show a grn/gry cable to CN1, and the latest show blu/wht - so I think that's two temperature sensors. CN2 is supposed to be out on one board for a shared sensor configuration but I don't see it in the pics.
                                      Actually, CN2 is open on the left board.

I will test the amperage soon. I appreciate the input.

Comment

I've messed with this thing on and off for weeks. The two peltiers were drawing between 3-3.5A. I put a pair of 12709's in to see what would happen. They draw 6.5A and don't do a thing. The back of the fridge is super hot. I used a good thermal compound on both sides of each chip. I give up.

Comment

I've messed with this thing on and off for weeks. The two peltiers were drawing between 3-3.5A. I put a pair of 12709's in to see what would happen. They draw 6.5A and don't do a thing. The back of the fridge is super hot. I used a good thermal compound on both sides of each chip. I give up.
                                          Super hot is a good thing it tell you it is getting rid of the heat inside the refrig. Are the fans working? Is that 6.5 Amps each Peltier? You need to run the coolers max cooled at least 3 hours before you turn the temp down to where you want it. Also, make sure outside temp is around 70 degrees. Run the coolers for at least 8 hours and then check inside temp.

Comment

Working...
                                          X