3com OfficeConnect Gigabit Switch 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3com OfficeConnect Gigabit Switch 5

I own a 5-port 3Com OfficeConnect Gigabit Switch 5 (3C1670500A), which made the annoying high-pitched sound as described in posting about other type of 3com switches here. Altough it's not very loud, it is well hearable at about 1 m distance. At least loud enough to drive me nuts. I contacted the 3com product service, but I guess they did not (want to?) understand what the problem was.

I searched the internet and I found this forum, where I saw I was not the only one with such a problem.

In order to make the switch completely silent, I changed two things:
    1. Put the coil which is part of the dc-dc converter into a (violin) resin bath
    2. Replaced a Michicon 6.3v, 1000uF capacitor, which was placed next to the coil, with an ELNA 6.3v, 1000uF.

I have to say, I am not really sure whether it was necessary to put the coil in a resin bath. Perhaps the only noise making part was the capacitor. The reason for this is that just out of curiosity I tried to put the Michicon capacitor back some days later, but the sound problem reverted as well with that. So one might give it a try to first only replace the capacitor, instead of coil as well as capacitor.

Please see the picture below for details:

I hope this will help. Good luck.

w_m0zart

Re: 3com OfficeConnect Gigabit Switch 5

Michicon? Not Nichicon?

Another fake. Whoopee!

Good tip, 'Zart.
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Re: 3com OfficeConnect Gigabit Switch 5

Oops Shroomie, you are very right. it wasn't Michicon but Nichicon! I had to search the trashcan for that capacitor. Unfortunately I had to take al the other junk out, because it had landed at the bottom.

A pity I can't edit my previous posting anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X