Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nichicon HM/HN/HZ scheduled for discontinuation

^
    Sanyo is not produced by Sanyo in Japan anymore, its some chinese company now.... Samxon would have been an option if I wanted to sell chinese junk, but they priced themselves out of the market a long time ago, and I'm not even sure if they're making GC and GD series anymore.... I have enough of a stash that its not an immediate problem...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      ^
      Sanyo is not produced by Sanyo in Japan anymore, its some chinese company now....
      Shoot! I was thinking about getting caps from them.

So it has to be like the damn Kohler Courage motors!
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^ dont waste your time.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

This is a gross overreaction. There's enough NOS out there to last for years and years.
          Sanyo is not produced by Sanyo in Japan anymore, its some chinese company now....
          Suncon is a Japanese company, not Chinese. Suncon caps are great, but they don't make anything with a lower ESR than WG.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            This is a gross overreaction. There's enough NOS out there to last for years and years.

Suncon is a Japanese company, not Chinese. Suncon caps are great, but they don't make anything with a lower ESR than WG.
            The company may be japanese, but the samples I got were made in china. This was around the same time Rubycon ceased MB/MC, they were actually one of my prospectives as a replacement, along with Panasonic. Show me where all this NOS is? Don't reference me to fleabay, most of that crap is fake.

Like I said, if I wanted to peddle chinese crap, I'd stay with Samxon.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

time to develop our polymod recipies...
              i have plenty of stock right now to deal with my workload.
              but i poly most mobo's anyway.

Comment

I thought most of your sales come from capping jobs? There are a number of good brands out there with good specs that would work for most hardware

if big mfgrs are focusing on polys the price of those might go down, and you could just do polymods

but the cap store itself might be gone
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The company may be japanese, but the samples I got were made in china. This was around the same time Rubycon ceased MB/MC, they were actually one of my prospectives as a replacement, along with Panasonic. Show me where all this NOS is? Don't reference me to fleabay, most of that crap is fake.
                  They've got plenty of NOS, thing is, even Chinese sellers with legitimate stock will deceive the buyers after gaining their trust, because that is their way of doing business. We still ought to be good for at least a year while Nichicon finishes shipping their stock to American distributors.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I"d say this: close the store on nichicons, collect them for recapping jobs only, I mean, really isn't 90% of your money from the capping jobs?

Comment

^
                      It's a toss. Some months, cap sales are floating the boat, and next month its repairs. I have a lot of very old corporate clients that continually send me things for repair, in large batches. However, the individual stuff is all but gone....IE, the guy who needs a single board recapped...I don't see much of that anymore, maybe a dozen a week.
                      Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                      They've got plenty of NOS, thing is, even Chinese sellers with legitimate stock will deceive the buyers after gaining their trust, because that is their way of doing business. We still ought to be good for at least a year while Nichicon finishes shipping their stock to American distributors.
                      As far as Nichicon goes, you are right I do believe. I don't think this will be a cause for panic or brand changing for anotehr year or so. I put buy limits on most stuff so I dont get cleaned out....IE, nobody can buy more than 600pcs of any given product....and if I'm low on a specific product, I drop that accordingly or just mark them out of stock so I have a supply to use in-shop.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hege
                        In any case, though, you would still be competitive enough for international orders, as Digikey and mouser charge $50 or so for overseas shipping bs $8 from here.
                        My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        FWIW, if this does kill off badcaps.net, it won't be for a while.
                        I'm guessing perhaps you haven't visited the "Troubleshooting Computer Displays" sub-forum too often? Well, let me tell you this: there's a cubic crap-ton of many new threads there every day and people often need new caps for their monitors all over the world. All you might have to do is just change your stock to common caps/sizes found in LCD monitors, and I think you'll be back in business again. As c_hegge mentioned, you would be quite competitive due to the lower international shipping costs.

While you are at it, stock up on some 2SC5706 NPN transistors - those are often found bad in certain monitors, including many Dells.

I don't think you would go out of business, though. You might have to add/remove a few services, but other than that it should be fine. Someone as well known as you in the repair business will always have work to do.
                        Last edited by momaka; 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          While you are at it, stock up on some 2SC5706 NPN transistors - those are often found bad in certain monitors, including many Dells.
                          You mean 2SC5707.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yeah I think they have a point. There is ALWAYS people posting in the monitor/TV forums cause of crap power board caps. Stock some usual caps and fets for those

ooh or...start doing recapping for bad monitors. Hmm, not sure how that would work, there would be more legwork cause of the higher chances of other bad components. Good thing is: they're usually easier to solder

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              ooh or...start doing recapping for bad monitors. Hmm, not sure how that would work, there would be more legwork cause of the higher chances of other bad components. Good thing is: they're usually easier to solder
                              Agreed. With the benq dells, I've found that resoldering the transformers and replacing the caps and transistors is almast always the fix for 2STB issues. The only catch is that the transformers and transistors require a desolderign gun, solder sucker (not recommended), or desoldering braid (my recommendation) to perform. You can't do those with a pick like you can do with caps.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                Agreed. With the benq dells, I've found that resoldering the transformers and replacing the caps and transistors is almast always the fix for 2STB issues. The only catch is that the transformers and transistors require a desolderign gun, solder sucker (not recommended), or desoldering braid (my recommendation) to perform. You can't do those with a pick like you can do with caps.
                                Why not just add some new lead solder to the connections?
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                  Why not just add some new lead solder to the connections?
                                  Depends on which part we are talking about:

Transistors: they have 3 legs. If you are cunning enough you can wiggle it out by heating two legs and using a pair of pliers (pin 2 goes to the metal end, you'd get burned). However, IMHO it is much easier to use braid, which on such single sided boards works REALLY well.

Transformers: When I go to resolder transformers in an LCD monitor (other brands besides benq have this too it seems), I will use the braid to get as much of the old solder off as possible from each pin on a side of the transformer. I then add fresh leaded solder. I do this one side at a time to keep the transformer from falling out (they are a PITA to put back in).

The reason why I don't just add solder to the old solder that (1) the old solder sometimes is pure crap to begin with and I don't want to add good to bad, (2) I don't want to add too much solder but I still want to get plenty of heat and solder melt, and (3) using all fresh solder makes the joints look a lot better. Not that it's a pretty joints contest, but I take a certain level of pride in my work. I have no respect for lazy/sloppy repair work.
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    You mean 2SC5707.
                                    No . 2SC5706 are found bad in Dell monitors quite often too.

Originally posted by Uranium235
                                    That.
                                    And not to mention that you can't always easily test a repaired monitor board unless you have the rest of the monitor.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                    The only catch is that the transformers and transistors require a desolderign gun, solder sucker (not recommended), or desoldering braid (my recommendation) to perform.
                                    I used a solder sucker/solder pump on mine and it worked just fine. Braid is not cheap so I try not to use it when the situation allows.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                    Transistors: they have 3 legs. If you are cunning enough you can wiggle it out by heating two legs and using a pair of pliers (pin 2 goes to the metal end, you'd get burned).
                                    I do that all the time (wiggle it out by heating 2 pins at a time). No pliers either! Just gotta have your iron real hot so you can be real quick - that way you don't get burned. If you add some flux to joints, it can be even quicker.
                                    I do have to admit that I can tolerate a lot of heat on my fingers, though (I regularly clean the nozzle of my hot glue gun with my fingers). For those that can't, a piece of cloth or a pair of thin gloves would do. I have a piece of cloth on my bench when I need to remove components with all-metal cases - those do burn me eventually.

Comment

I have an idea. we should design our own ESR meter (I'm sure our genus romanian forum member could do this easily). Have it set for ether a 100khz output or 120hz output (most common two). I'm sure tc could get the parts cheap, and build them in free time (seeing as how some of his work might dry up)

perhaps a modification of the blue meter

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                        I have an idea. we should design our own ESR meter (I'm sure our genus romanian forum member could do this easily). Have it set for ether a 100khz output or 120hz output (most common two). I'm sure tc could get the parts cheap, and build them in free time (seeing as how some of his work might dry up)

perhaps a modification of the blue meter
                                        I would be highly interested in this

I need to build one myself actually.

We could make an analog one then make a digital one with a uC
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I would be interested in this kit. RusMike charges way too much. Can you do it Unique?

Comment

Working...
                                          X