VP6 - 5 years old, posts but locks up after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VP6 - 5 years old, posts but locks up after

This has probably been the best server board that I've used. However, the time has come to either retire it or fix it.

Currently the system will post about 50% of the time and will lock up at various points thereafter. If it does make it to Windows, a simple mouse movement locks the system completely. I've read all the posts about the VP6 and would like to try to replace the caps if that would indeed correct the problem.

There are no visual indications that the caps have gone bad but the system operation shows all the signs that a meltdown is around the corner. Before I go ahead with the fix I just wanted to ask if this was the most likely problem and if the cap replacement would give me some more use of this awesome mb?!?

Thanks
    Caribroc

Close Inspection

Ok - after taking the board out of the case and inspecting it I've notice about four capacitors with "swollen" tops. I guess I've answered my own question...

Comment

If it still serves its duties with power to spare, its much cheaper to recap it versus replacing/upgrading it..... However, if it's straining to keep up, most likely this would be a good time to upgrade. I used my VP6's as web servers for almost 4 years, they had no problem keeping up with demand. I only upgraded because I got a GOOOOOD deal on some P4 Xeon motherboards and chips... I just couldn't take an old P3 system over dually Xeon systems for servers...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Working...
      X