Sharp TV Bad tab drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp TV Bad tab drivers?

Have a 70 inch Q+ Sharp, about 4yrs old.

Over the weekend the screen started flickering. A simple power off and on of the tv fixed it. But yesterday it did it two more times, now i have a very thin black bar from right fading to left. A power cycle doesn't make this bar go away. Tried unplugging tv and holding power button to drain power as well.

Is this a panel issue?

I was looking at this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54837
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eaglei22; 01-23-2018, 11:18 AM.

Re: Sharp TV Bad tab drivers?

Yes. Unfortunately your right side gate tab driver is failing
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Everything you need to know is here.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281

Comment

What is the purpose of these? What are possible side effects of removing them, and because a driver is essentially software, what causes these to go bad?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
          Everything you need to know is here.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281
          Thanks!

Comment

Thermal stress, design, Possibly overcurrent to a sub par IC is my philosophy.

These take the information from the source drivers which are located on the bottom of the panel and span the data horizontally across the screen where needed a. Without them you would have vertical bars flashing across the screen. The LCD panel needs these to span the data across each segment of the panel from left to right.

This LCD panel has drivers on each side. One acts is a send buffer in the other I believe access a receive and then a send back. Without 1 side doesn't seem to make a huge difference except now The remaining side is left to do a dual duty cycle of sending and receiving. The remaining side will be work however with hundreds of people doing this by now I have not heard of too many bad results but I have seen a failure 1st hand myself of only one side operating so it does shorten the lifespan of the LCD panel however the lifespan of the LCD panel now Is compromised anyway because the bad driver

So you can judge for yourself if you want to leave it this way as long as you can before you get imminent shutdown to the point where you need to do this or throw the TV away

Comment

Thanks for the time and in depth response. Things seem more clear now.

I did see this article too:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...topics/1336237

But that is clearly for someone with experience.

Comment

Hence the need for a tab bonding machine.

I believe this failure is from bad connections to begin with, more or less from a thermal cycle on the processor on the COF. These ribbons are made flimsy, And the propylene factors in the cable break down allowing the IC that normally gets warm To start to microscopically push away from the cable, creating a bottleneck scenario. This will cause thermal runaway until the processor on the IC gets to the point where it shorts out

Comment

Just to be clear, you have to pull off all the tabs on the bad side? Not just the "bad" tab?

Also, the side with the bad tabs will not display a white screen when white ribbon unplugged but still try to show image of screen?

Just want to make sure im getting it right from your article.

Also currently, i only have a thin black line, with intermediate screen flicker. Is that black line part of a bad tab driver too?

Comment

Yes that one line is part of an array on one tab.

Whatever side is disconnected will normally show a white screen.

The side that has the darker patch is the side that has gone bad.

All the tabs on the bad side need to be removed not just the failed one or you will have A disproportionate picture with light and dark areas.

Comment

But like I said before, this is not for the faint at heart especially if you purchased the TV new. Sense you have one line personally if it were me I would leave well enough alone until it becomes an annoyance and gets to the point where the TV will not function anymore.

Comment

Thanks man! Lots of great info. Im armed with enough information to move foreard if needed. Yea i was thinking of just leaving it and dealing with it., but the line bothers me, as im very big on picture quality. But its a great tv. I LOVE the picture on it. I purchased a new Samsung curved tv last year 65" for the bedroom true 4k, and this one still blows it away.

I do have a 4yr protection plan on it which is up this summer. So i lucked out with it happening now and not later.

But I love the tv, so I want to keep it. They are coming to try and replace some things in a few days, but with the guage on here, it seems like its not even worth it.

I want to make sure i do what i can to keep this set around for the family room. The plan is with a 3rd party company. Based of the reviews their comparable replacement sets may be inferior to the current.
                        Last edited by eaglei22; 01-23-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

For anyone else visiting this thread, this looks worth a shot too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHst6pKLtTE

Comment

If you have a 4 yr protection plan let them do their crap in replace boards in whatever they're gonna do to determine the panel it's failed but do not let them wait on it and sit on it too long as that is exactly what they're going to do which will leave you in the position where your panel is bad and you will be stuck with it. Then after the surgery there's no telling how long your panel will be good for.

Also it is a feat to try to show them this thread or this site or anybody on AVS having the same problem because they are going to dismiss that.

Comment

That video is similar but he has source driver problems with bad connections where yours our gate driver. Similar situation but a different beast altogether because yours are actually burning out instead of making a bad connection

Comment

So, I ended up just mounting the old tv in the basement to use while on the treadmill. I hadn't turned it on in almost 8 months until about 3 weeks ago. It came on fine except the horizontal line was much thicker and there was a second thicker line toward the bottom.

This was fine with me as i could still watch Netflix without much distraction.

We had some ice storms last week that knocked out power. The power went out a few times, and when it went out it would kind of flicker. This tv was off but plugged into a surge protector. My other two tv's same setup. Those work fine.

This one i came downstairs and saw the white light flashing. So idk if it came on by itself when it got power and then the next wave of power flicker killed it or what, but the white light has 1 quick flash, and 3 slow.

I tried the resets listed all over, none worked. I hardly have help lifting these tvs on and off their mount, usually my wife can help but she is pregnant. So i am trying to figure out if I need to order a board, or if this is somehow related to the bad driver tabs; and fix it in one shot with whoever I can get to help me unmount and mount it back up.

Any ideas given what I mentioned? Funny how this tv is the only one effected, my other 75 inch sharp (hisense), and 65 inch curved Samsung still work fine.
                                Last edited by eaglei22; 02-16-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

the set already had an issue, the power "outage" just added on top. Likely cause is that the panel issue is pushing the limits of the power board such that any difference in the powering caused the system to detect an error.

not sure why you haven't removed the tabs from the faulty side (at least I don't read that you did)... the tv would likely be as good as new. Lots of posts and threads on this type operation and its success in saving sets.

further, the more that you operate the set in its current state, the higher the likelihood that the fault (ie. gate driver) will cause issues in other portions of the set that are not readily addressable resulting in the set heading to the "curb".
                                  Last edited by budwich; 02-16-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Is this a candidate for the "cut tape" method or is he better off just removing tabs from the faulty side?

Comment

either method could work... of course the "cut tape" method is a good choice as it doesn't cause any issue with applying or removing. the tab removal is a one time event that can't be undone. Personally, since he is using this as an "exercise machine", the tab removal method gets a working tv faster.... but its been "sitting there" so fast probably doesn't matter.

Having said this, I am not sure that the "cut tape" method has ever been successfully applied to a set with side tabs.

Comment

Good question, I think I use to know if if it worked on tvs with side tabs but lately I seem to be forgetting shit faster than I learned it, memory retention is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                        X