Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI Radeon RX 550 Low Profile 2GB - Bad Chip Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Radeon RX 550 Low Profile 2GB - Bad Chip Help?

This chip gets crazy smoking hot when I turn it on now & doesn't work at all... this chip must of fried when I plugged in my PCIe x1 to x16 adapter in backwards in the slot on accident.

Need to replace it.

Can you make out what it says or what it is?

Re: MSI Radeon RX 550 Low Profile 2GB - Bad Chip Help?

That´s an 1117A voltage regulator. Had one fried when I plugged in an bad DVI to VGA adapter on an Low Profile GeForce 605. Its an fairly common component on video cards.

Comment

Thank you

How do I test if it's bad with a multimeter? just test continuity & resistance?

Where do I find a replacement & does it need to be :

1639753 ?

$0.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-New-L...oAAOSwlptZ-lt0

Last edited by chris89; 11-24-2017, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Check to see if it's shorted to ground. Of the three pins, one will be voltage in, one will be voltage out, one will be ground. If you have a short to ground it should be easy to diagnose.

I'd take it off the board and check it in isolation, then check incoming voltages on the card pads, i think it should be getting 5 volts on one of pads, nothing on the other, and one is ground. 5 volts might not be right, I'm going on a quick glance of a few datasheets.

Comment

Probe between middle pin and the two others. If you have a short either way, the regulator is toast and needs to be replaced.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

digikey probably has the same brand chip-within the USA-at a good price. and shipping is $3.39
            Disclaimer: Don't trust a thing I say-I am frequently wrong!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

Some of the things I've fixed:
            60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Comment

A new company's logo , not identified anywhere , probably a cheap chinese one . Referring to standards then , this an LDO Voltage Regulators fixed at 5.3V , as the last suffices indicate .

Comment

Working...
              X