Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PN59D6500 shuts off in 5-15 minutes; HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PN59D6500 shuts off in 5-15 minutes; HELP!

Hello generous and kind fellow fixers!

I am trying to solve the problem on this set and keep striking out.

Symptom: TV runs fine with good picture for about 15 minutes and then turns off as though the power button was pressed and then turns back on by itself immediately. Then it will repeat the cycle, but takes less time to shut off (5 or less minutes). LED2000 on the logic board is blinking about 1 time per second (maybe slightly faster) WHILE TV IS RUNNING, then it goes off when the TV shuts off, but returns to that same blinking when the TV turns itself back on.

What I've done: Since I've been seeing quite a few similar Samsung Plasmas with very similar or same symptoms being caused by bad solder connections on the Power Supply PCB, I was hopeful this one was going to be the same scenario. I did find some questionable connections (nothing really obvious, though) on the Power Supply PCB, but resoldering them did not help. It seems like this problem must be thermal and sure acted like a thermal solder connection problem.

I then pulled the Y-SUS and found many very suspect solder connections; this is a double sided board and most or all of the fets and such had solder that didn't even flow through to both sides, thus the pins were basically uncovered on the top of the board and there were many cracks forming on the bottom of the board. Alas, resoldering everything had no effect; TV still shuts off in the same way.

I have a good relationship with a supplier who allows returns without restocking fees, so I ordered and replaced the Power Supply and the Y-SUS just to rule them out (still thinking that it must be some bad solder joint somewhere that is thermal and I just must have not seen it or missed it). Sadly, neither board fixed the TV. So, I put the original boards back in.

Then I pulled the X-SUS and inspected it but didn't bother resoldering anything as they looked better than the Y-SUS and Power Supply connections.

Then I surmised that the problem must be with the Main Board, so I froze the Main Board to see if the TV would stay on and no such luck; it still shuts off.

So I come to you here with my hands open, begging for help on this terribly troublesome TV! Thanks in advance!

PS: I haven't tested any voltages yet; I guess I assumed everything would read okay, otherwise it wouldn't be running with a good picture, but maybe I should be checking for a rise or drop somewhere? I'm hoping Tom66 will know!
    Attached Files

Re: PN59D6500 shuts off in 5-15 minutes; HELP!

Wow, this forum moves!

Comment

Hoping someone can help...

Comment

First thing i would look closer at is the power supply! Can you plz post a clear picture of the PS?
        Did you check all boards for bad caps?

Measure the voltages when its running "perfect".

Dont worry , this forum is alive!
        I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Try running with a fan cooling the boards to see if it stays on longer?
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Maybe worth forcing the TV on by jumpering PS ON etc. then putting a jumper on the logic pattern header (this will cause it to cycle through patterns, if it cuts out it is not the main board at fault.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
              First thing i would look closer at is the power supply! Can you plz post a clear picture of the PS?
              Did you check all boards for bad caps?

Measure the voltages when its running "perfect".

Don't worry , this forum is alive!
              I attached a close-up picture of the Power Supply. Remember, I replaced the Power Supply board and the symptom didn't change. I also checked the AC input area (checked for poor connection or wiring between AC in filter block and board, plugs, etc.) because it sure seems to act like AC is lost and then reacquired (and/or like it is just powered off with the power button and then powered back on); the way it powers off and then comes back on by itself is exactly as if you were to unplug and replug the AC cord (the Samsung Smart TV logo appears on the screen as if it's just powering up from an "OFF" state). Yes, I can't see any bulging/vented caps anywhere.

Thank you for your reply!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                Try running with a fan cooling the boards to see if it stays on longer?
                Thank you for the post; I did try freezing (with freeze mist) pretty much every board and it did not help.

Comment

I have and use a infared tempature gun. You can quickly scan componants rather than you finger that prevents burns and shocks. I really dont use freeze mist all that often

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
                    I have and use a infared tempature gun. You can quickly scan componants rather than you finger that prevents burns and shocks. I really dont use freeze mist all that often
                    That's a good idea. I have a friend that has a FLIR meter; maybe I will try that.

Comment

Perhaps check out the Thermistor 2D-20 if your power supply is spikey it may be
                      working too well?
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

if I'm not mistaken isn't a logic board the board with the temperature sensor built into it? can get you monitor temperature sensor readings In the service men?
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-27-2015, 09:46 AM.
                        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

The temperature sensor will be used to compensate panel drive waveforms, as the panel warms up the black level can go lower. You will sometimes notice on some old plasmas that when they are cold everything has a light grey tinge to it due to the panel being too cold.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Wow I never paid attention to that! Learn something new every day lol
                            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                              Perhaps check out the Thermistor 2D-20 if your power supply is spikey it may be
                              working too well?
                              Thank you; what should I look for in a fault with that part?

Comment

So, I'm going to be trying again later today to track down the source of the problem with this TV; my friend is coming over with his FLIR gun/meter and we'll see what we can find as far as hot areas/parts.

Update to the symptom: It seems to shut off within only 3 minutes now, but I'm not sure it wasn't actually lasting that long before, too? I wasn't actually timing it, just roughly gauging the time. It seemed to be 5-10, but yesterday, when I was testing it again, it seemed a little faster to shut off. This time I was running it without any signal or video. It wasn't an auto shutoff due to lack of signal, though, as it never gives that warning on the screen and of course it powers back up by itself and it wouldn't be doing that if it was shutting off due to no signal. Do Samsungs even do that? I know some brands like Toshiba do.

Anyway, any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Nice to see you in here now, Tom66! I've watched your buffer board video on YouTube (enjoyed your vocalizations about dodgy parts especially ) and have read many of your posts on here (you seem to have a wellspring of knowledge on the mysterious animal that is a plasma) and I can't help but wonder what is going on in that mega-brain of yours in regards to this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Truncatedhose View Post
                                  Thank you; what should I look for in a fault with that part?
                                  Unless it looks cracked or chipped I think all you can do is check it with the thermal probe -get a datasheet and see its parameters should be.

Maybe the set will power up without it in position if so run a trial for half an hour.

Datasheet

Comment

Try to change the main board,I have experienced the same thing before ,after replacing it the TV worked but sometimes dry joint under the processor if can also cause it

Comment

This type of symptoms is common on Samsung tvs

Comment

I agree, most likely a main board fault. Maybe a good idea to try this test:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjrwTZC5nVg

Comment

Working...
                                        X