Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fix for Benq FP737s 17" (Q7T3)

Originally posted by steven.va
    My 2SC5707s arrived. Soldered them in, and my Benq FP731 works!

I did resolder the connections to transformers.

Greetings,
    Steven
    Greetings to all on this very informative forum. I'm cutting my teeth as a hobbyist in this field of work and I have stumbled upon your website. It's so jammed packed full of info on this particular monitor, that I am about to blow a fuse myself!!! Some of the mods may be outside of my skill level at present but hey, we all start somewhere right? Not sure exactly where I should start but if anyone could kindly point me in the simplest of terms, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

My symptoms....monitor turns on momentarily, enough to see a flash of the Benq Logo, then it shuts off ......and the green power light goes out too. Now I hope this is enough for a simple solution........but since this monitor seems to have a whole history of poor design...maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

All replies welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by imalearner
      Greetings to all on this very informative forum. I'm cutting my teeth as a hobbyist in this field of work and I have stumbled upon your website. It's so jammed packed full of info on this particular monitor, that I am about to blow a fuse myself!!! Some of the mods may be outside of my skill level at present but hey, we all start somewhere right? Not sure exactly where I should start but if anyone could kindly point me in the simplest of terms, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

My symptoms....monitor turns on momentarily, enough to see a flash of the Benq Logo, then it shuts off ......and the green power light goes out too. Now I hope this is enough for a simple solution........but since this monitor seems to have a whole history of poor design...maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

All replies welcome.
      It's teh same problem as found on any number of these monitors. Starting at the beginning of the thread may have given you this information.
      After replacement 4x2SC5707 2xFU9024 and the fuse 3A all was well again. I resolder joints on the inverter transformers.
      In your case,check the 2SC5707's. If any are shorted, replace the lot; likewise for the FU9024. Because you are getting the flash, the fuse is good. Also, resolder the transformers; that was the original cause.

NOW it may be that the transistors are fine. Then check the output voltage of the power supply; if good, see if the monitor comes on when you push the power button.

Oh, pictures help. See the FAQ on inserting pictures.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
        Oh, pictures help. See the FAQ on inserting pictures.

PlainBill
        Thanks PlainBill for that. My eyes see much less now than my camera can, so I'll post these anyway. I don't have a history for this monitor/board, but it looks overall, like the whole board solder connections are in some state of corrosion, or overheating perhaps....I dunno. Might be better to reconsider replacement of the whole board rather than repair?

Any comments gratefully accepted.

imalearner..

xx pics upload failed twice xx Will try again later!

Comment

xx pics upload failed twice xx Will try again later!
          So here they are...I hope!
          Attached Files

Comment

So here they are...I hope!
            I believe the site has a limit of 2000 pixels on a side. My camera takes pictures at a resolution of 2278 x 1712; too big to upload. I've found that reducing the pictures to 1024 x 720 gives a large, usable picture. Yours are almost too small to be helpful.

First step, I have marked up the usual suspects for this monitor. Check the transistors I have circled to see if any are shorted. I've also circled what I believe is a picofuse; the identifier is too small to read. Verify that is intact.

PlainBill
            Attached Files
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yours are almost too small to be helpful.

First step, I have marked up the usual suspects for this monitor. Check the transistors I have circled to see if any are shorted. I've also circled what I believe is a picofuse; the identifier is too small to read. Verify that is intact.

PlainBill
              Thanks PlainBIll for getting back. I'll be testing away as soon as I get back to my workshop/shed. Thinking that the upload failed last time because the images were too big....I just resized them. It may also have been just a poor wirelesss signal from my shed too! So, I'm putting this one back up just to see if that is more helpful....for future enquiries perhaps. This is max size for my camera. Hopefully part identifiers should be more legible. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Imalearner
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks PlainBIll for getting back. I'll be testing away as soon as I get back to my workshop/shed. Thinking that the upload failed last time because the images were too big....I just resized them. It may also have been just a poor wirelesss signal from my shed too! So, I'm putting this one back up just to see if that is more helpful....for future enquiries perhaps. This is max size for my camera. Hopefully part identifiers should be more legible. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Imalearner
                Great picture. the only flaw is the board is rotated slightly counterclockwise. I'll give it a 9.6.

PlainBill

Comment

Great picture. the only flaw is the board is rotated slightly counterclockwise. I'll give it a 9.6.

PlainBill
                  Hey hey! Thanks on that PlainBill. You'd be amazed at what I can achieve with your patients

Now with your continued kindness (creep creep) I wonder if you can help a little further???

Should (can) I test any/and all of these components on/off the board, and furthermore, with my digital meter in hand, what test(s) should I be puttting them thru/to?

Imalearner by name....and by nature....

Thanks again in advance.

Imalearner.

Comment

Hey hey! Thanks on that PlainBill. You'd be amazed at what I can achieve with your patients

Now with your continued kindness (creep creep) I wonder if you can help a little further???

Should (can) I test any/and all of these components on/off the board, and furthermore, with my digital meter in hand, what test(s) should I be puttting them thru/to?

Imalearner by name....and by nature....

Thanks again in advance.

Imalearner.
                    These transistors and the fuse can be tested on board. Set the meter to the lowest ohms scale (typically 200 ohms). The transistors have three pins in a row; starting at the left number them 1-3. Check the resistance between 1 and 2; 1 and 3, and 2 and 3. All readings should be > 1K Measure the resistance of the fuse; it should be less than 1 ohm.

PlainBill

Comment

These transistors and the fuse can be tested on board. Set the meter to the lowest ohms scale (typically 200 ohms). The transistors have three pins in a row; starting at the left number them 1-3. Check the resistance between 1 and 2; 1 and 3, and 2 and 3. All readings should be > 1K Measure the resistance of the fuse; it should be less than 1 ohm.

PlainBill
                      Thanks PlainBill. PLaytime starts agin early next week so I'll give it a shot.....I have noticed that the odd two transistors are not bearing the same id/specs so I may be hunting for their identity too! Will get back and thanks again.

imalearner

Comment

Thanks PlainBill. PLaytime starts agin early next week so I'll give it a shot.....I have noticed that the odd two transistors are not bearing the same id/specs so I may be hunting for their identity too! Will get back and thanks again.

imalearner

Back again!

Okay, so off came the four C5707 (faulty enough for me!) and then the two unidentified others, but I am not sure how to read the markings/codes on them....any offers out there please, or suggestions about what I could use instead. Thanks.

I have used a few shots for different light to 'catch' the markings better...some might find these a useful help....these were taken about 4-6mm away from the transistors. At one point I think I fainted to stopped movement whilst breathing

imalearner.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Back again!

Okay, so off came the four C5707 (faulty enough for me!) and then the two unidentified others, but I am not sure how to read the markings/codes on them....any offers out there please, or suggestions about what I could use instead. Thanks.

I have used a few shots for different light to 'catch' the markings better...some might find these a useful help....these were taken about 4-6mm away from the transistors. At one point I think I fainted to stopped movement whilst breathing

imalearner.
                          This will do it
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-2-FU9024N-IR...-/320492401104

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee

AHaaaa! Thanks for that Bobdee......I see it's coming from the states. So, my next question is (being a novice at this...) do you know if the following products, I have found based from the uk, are also suitable/safe to do the same job?

http://uk.farnell.com/international-...01?Ntt=FU9024N

http://uk.farnell.com/sanyo/2sc5707/...251/dp/1554597

Thanks for help.

Comment

AHaaaa! Thanks for that Bobdee......I see it's coming from the states. So, my next question is (being a novice at this...) do you know if the following products, I have found based from the uk, are also suitable/safe to do the same job?

http://uk.farnell.com/international-...01?Ntt=FU9024N

http://uk.farnell.com/sanyo/2sc5707/...251/dp/1554597

Thanks for help.
                              Yep, they are fine. Farnell may not be the cheapest source, but the semis they supply are invariably from a decent manufacturer.
                              Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by pedro
                                Yep, they are fine. Farnell may not be the cheapest source, but the semis they supply are invariably from a decent manufacturer.

Thanks Pedro for that.

I have just given Farnell a ring. Guess what? "If paying by debit card/credit card... online there is a minimum order of 20.00 Pounds Sterling.....if over the telephone it goes up........30.00 Pounds Sterling."

I said, thank you very much I'll think about it!!!

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff**************or goodness sake! I'm 'orf hunting for somewhere else a liitle more customer friendly.

Thanks again though.

imalearner

Comment

Thanks Pedro for that.

I have just given Farnell a ring. Guess what? "If paying by debit card/credit card... online there is a minimum order of 20.00 Pounds Sterling.....if over the telephone it goes up........30.00 Pounds Sterling."

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff**************or goodness sake! I'm 'orf hunting for somewhere else a liitle more customer friendly.

Thanks again though.

imalearner
                                  Shite that's obscene. Down here in Oz, Farnell's minimum for on-line CC purchase is $A10 - about six pommy quid - AND we get free shipping. Ironically I currently have some Pana FM's ordered from them en route from UK. And I had to pad the order with other stuff to make the $10.
                                  Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Thanks Pedro for that.

Thanks again though.

imalearner
                                    This may help
                                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lot-4x-C5707-2...item43979fcc08
                                    I have never had a problem buying these from ebay dealers

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                      This may help
                                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lot-4x-C5707-2...item43979fcc08
                                      I have never had a problem buying these from ebay dealers
                                      OH Bollacks! I got sick of searching on ebay uk and all I kept coming up with is the exact same thing wtih free international satandard shipping from good ol USA....so now they are ordered.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, me thinks I should find practice my soldering or summat!

Cheers!
                                      Imalearner

Comment

...I have just given Farnell a ring. Guess what? "If paying by debit card/credit card... online there is a minimum order of 20.00 Pounds Sterling...
                                        I normally order from RS, but there was a few things on my list that were not in stock, so tonight, for the first time, I wasted an hour or so compiling my first order with Farnell. It wasn't until I tried to order (after going through all the registration process), that I was told that my order needed to be over £20 before VAT (= £23.50).

Also, I couldn't find anywhere on their website that told you the p&p charges.

I didn't go through with the order.
                                        ________________________________________________

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                                        Bright antennae bristle with the energy
                                        ________________________________________________

Comment

I know how you feel i ended up ordering some op amps from usa as over here they wanted to charge me 12 quid for £1.45 parts ,needless to say i got them from the states 3 of then inc shipping 5 bucks ..you cannot argue at that now i have 2 spare if i ever blow the other speakers lol.

Comment

Working...
                                          X