DAX1BDMB6F0 Power Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DAX1BDMB6F0 Power Issue

Hi & thanks. Perhaps this is a dumb question but could I have re-flashed the ITE to reset it somehow with the correct firmware, or is it that once it is set the first time, it is imprinted or engraved permanently?

Just got the soldering gun and braid today from Amazon.

Comment

Yes, the iTE chip's internal flash functions the same as an external firmware chip. It can be rewritten with the correct tools.

Comment

Good evening,

I just replaced the motherboard with a new one Model DAX1BDMB6F0 model X1BD. I'm writing this post on the fixed computer right now and everything seems to be working fine.

Glad to have the computer back but haven't given up on the old board and will still try to fix it. An ITE chip is on order and I have a soldering iron with a temperature control; I don't have the hot air station but will try not to be too destructive so the new chip sits on the board nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre-Yves View Post
          Good evening,

I just replaced the motherboard with a new one Model DAX1BDMB6F0 model X1BD. I'm writing this post on the fixed computer right now and everything seems to be working fine.

Glad to have the computer back but haven't given up on the old board and will still try to fix it. An ITE chip is on order and I have a soldering iron with a temperature control; I don't have the hot air station but will try not to be too destructive so the new chip sits on the board nicely.
          I dont think you can remove old ite kbc without hot air station. It will require v.very good soldering skills to remove the old kbc. Moreover, there is a great chance that you can damage the foil on the PCB itself. So I'll suggest to but a hot air station first. It doesnt costs much.

Comment

Hi

Well, the motherboard lasted one day. This morning I came to turn the computer on and nothing, it just blinked once. Tried and tried pushing the power button and just got a blink from the power button only. I unplugged it and same thing. I let it sit there 5 min and it started again on battery power only.

So, according to my logic, it's not the motherboard, not the power supply, not the power button card nor the small USB port card it is connected to because I replaced all that. There are a couple of things left, the memory and the hard drive. I'm really out of ideas and as you can sense, and a bit exasperated. Reading on the web and I don't see people having trouble with this HP model. Could the latter two cause this? Thanks.

Comment

Its a new motherboard,it worked ok for 1 day,now only works on battery.The memory should be ok.After reading the whole thread again i suspect its the charger, or the DC jack ,it may have part of the old centre pin still inside it.If you`re using the new charger,and the centre pin is undamaged replace the DC jack
              Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM.
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi - Yes, I updated the bios and ran a power test on both the battery and the AC adapter and the battery is OK, although it is asking me to calibrate it (says 20% off) and the AC adapter shows an error message (wrong signal coming in) even if it is new, has a center pin, and has the right specs (i.e., 45W, 19.5V, 2.31A). So, I will be looking to change that again for an HP adapter.

Comment

I also vote for the DC jack. With this current behavior, that's high on the top of suspects and cheap to replace. You may even be able to measure changing reading on the ID signal each time you plug it in or if you wiggle the plug in the jack. But either way it needs to go just by process of elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre-Yves View Post
                    Hi - Yes, I updated the bios and ran a power test on both the battery and the AC adapter and the battery is OK, although it is asking me to calibrate it (says 20% off) and the AC adapter shows an error message (wrong signal coming in) even if it is new, has a center pin, and has the right specs (i.e., 45W, 19.5V, 2.31A). So, I will be looking to change that again for an HP adapter.
                    Try with a 65w adapter. I used a 45w adapter on a dell 15-5000 series laptop and it switched and then off after 10 seconds. With65w adapter, it worked perfectly. So I'll suggest to try a 65w hp original adapter. Ifyou have a spare dc jack, replacing that is also not a bad idea.

Comment

Hello,

As I mentioned, my new power adapter (45W, 2.3A, 19.5V) which has a center pin in the connecting plug is not recognized by the computer when I do a component test.

So I bought a connecting plug (with a center pin) that had a wire that I could cut to splice it with my old HP adapter wire (the one where the center pin on the connector broke off). The wire on the new connector had two wires only instead of three. I took the connector apart and the power wire was connected at two places, the power (19.5V) and to the centre pin (with a small resistance in the connector). I cut the resistance off and reconnected (spliced) the connector to the old adapter wire using three wires (ground, power, and the center pin) and ran the component test and it passed.

So now everything works which tells me that the center pin on the HP adapters is pretty crucial.

In all I bought two new adapters with center pins where the seller said these were guaranteed to work with HP and they did not. I took one of these apart and it had two wires only.

I am now waiting for an IDE chip to put on the old motherboard (ordered a good 3 weeks ago...).

Cheers.
                      Last edited by Pierre-Yves; 08-11-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Hi, I have been looking at pretty well exactly the same problem to the one Pierre-Yves described on his first board on this thread.
                        The laptop: HP15ab254sa,
                        the board: x1bd
                        the problem: (as described above) when the adaptor is plugged in the led next to the power jack does not illuminate and the board will not start however after a random amount of time the led will illuminate by itself.
                        While the led is illuminated the laptop can be started as normal and will boot to windows the battery charges as normal the power jack can be wiggled, turned and moved as normal and the led will remain lit. the power jack can also be removed from the laptop provided the battery has some charge and the laptop will continue to run as normal.
                        However once the laptop is shut down the led might go out and the laptop will not start again and cannot be started until the led comes back on also rebooting from windows can cause the led to go out mid cycle.
                        Once the led is out the laptop will not start but more surprisingly the laptop will not start even with a fully charged battery.
                        My theory is that there is a “power good signal” somewhere sharing a broken trace or component that is common to both the power supply and battery but I have no idea where to look.
                        Any ideas ?

P.S. I Thought about the above solution but if this is a broken track or a dry joint etc then a more powerful power supply would only cause the spark to jump a little farther for a short time giving a temporary sloution. and it wouldnt explain why the board wont boot from a charged battery.

Comment

It sounds like an issue related to the EC. As a shot in the dark I'd try to flash it or replace it with a new one.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hello Darcy,

My second board also has a similar problem. I've learned to live with it and this is what I do: If you get the light on and you can start up your computer, do that and charge your battery completely. When it is charged, always unplug it before you turn the computer off. Once it is off, mine starts every time and once started, I can replug the adapter. Again, the trick is to have the charging adapter unplugged before you turn the computer off. For some reason there is something with the charging system on those boards that is odd.

With regards to my first board, I finally got the right ITE chip and will get a shop in Vermont (Burlington) who does microsoldering to fix it. I will have a spare motherboard but the board will be the same though, with the same charging problem...

Hey, let me know if that works for you. Thx.

Pierre-Yves

Comment

Bonjour Piernov

Où est-ce que je me procure le EC "embedded controller" flash pour la carte mère et comment fait-on ça?

Merci

Pierre-Yves

Comment

Thank you both very much,
                                I have searched the internet looking for a dump from an ec for this board. The only references I found were on websites that charge for downloads, the file size varied between these sites and I would suspect the files are bogus.
                                Thinking about it… I think that something as random as firmware corruption would be unlikely to happen in exactly the same way on two or more boards.
                                Replacing the chip might be the answer!
                                After trying Pierre-Yves work-around I found that the laptop does indeed start every time after shutting it down on battery power. (“Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.”) This will be good enough for me and I won’t risk replacing the chip unless the problem gets worse.
                                I would never have figured that out for myself so you have been a huge help.
                                Thank you again.
                                Darcy
                                Last edited by darcy; 02-18-2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information on this issue.

I have the same fault on the same motherboard. It is definitely intermittent. It happened a while ago. I took the laptop apart and checked some things. Couldn't find the problem. Put it nack together thinking it was dead. Plugged it in and the light came on.

Now the fault has come back and I have tested the mosfet nearest the power plug and it is getting 19.6v on both sides. Flip the board over and the mosfet on the back nearest the power, I am only getting 19.6v on one side.

Comment

Did anyone find out exactly why this fault is happening, as I cannot get the laptop to power up at all. No light by charger port.
                                    It is a Hp 15-ab288sa with dax1bdmb6f0 motherboard.

Comment

Hello,

Although there was a lot of excellent diagnostic by seasoned members on this issue, because it is intermittent, the problem was never pin pointed.
                                      My advice to you at this point is the following:
                                      - make sure you have some power left in the battery, over 30% is fine.
                                      - unplug the computer from the power source - that is the root of the problem
                                      - the following will sound stupid but worked for me many times: do a power reset but do not plug in your power supply. This is to ensure no power is left in the circuits.
                                      - Leave the computer unplugged but with the battery in overnight.
                                      - the next morning press the power button quickly once. If you see a light appear on the power button, great, if not leave it another day
                                      - do the same day after day until you get a light. For me the longest this took was four days.
                                      - when you get a light it will be a short flash and it will go off.
                                      - If that happens then quickly press on the power button twice but the second time keep the button pressed and the computer may start.
                                      - If the light goes off completely and does not light again you will have to wait another day and start again.
                                      - Again this sounds stupid but the computer I'm writing this to you on is the one with the problem motherboard.
                                      - Don't replug your computer to the power supply until it starts and boots up.
                                      - Always unplug the power supply before turning the computer off.
                                      - Hope this helps.
                                      - oh yeah, be patient...

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have just plugged it back in and the orange light has come on. Im going to let it charge for a few hours.
                                        Yesterday the orange light came on but I tried to start it and it did nothing.

Comment

Please note that the little orange charging light is not as important as the white light directly on the power button. The latter is the one I was referring to in my post yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                          X