Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New T.V.!!! $60 60inch Vizio Smart T.V. Burnt LEDs, Easy Fix!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New T.V.!!! $60 60inch Vizio Smart T.V. Burnt LEDs, Easy Fix!!!

Sup Bros!(PewDiePie voice) Just picked up a 60 inch Toshiba E60-C3. I has bright spots, so I could tell that it had Bad LEDs. The pictures on Craigslist and the previous owners description made it sound like a bad LED driver.

I opened up the TV and Tested the LEDs by trying to use what looked like test points near the LEDs... But those were connected to nothing!!!

So after scratching the solder mask between each LED I found out that only 10 of the LEDs were burned, out of 12 strips, with 8 LEDs each=96 LEDs!!!

Fortunately I will only need 10 LEDs.

I looked online for strips. I thought I saw that shop jimmy and ebay had them for $65 for a whole set. Unfortunately I must have skimmed over it too quickly. The only place that has a set of 12 wants $120!!! And everyone on ebay wants about $20 a strip!!!

I found a guy on ebay that sells a set of 20 bare LEDs for $15. So I ordered that and I should have this 60 inch beast fixed around the Dec 1st!

My dad has a 55" vizio smart tv and wants a 65"-75". I told him that he'd get a little bit bigger tv, and when he's ready to get the one he wants he can sell it and help fund the new one!

The only other concern I have is that I popped a few lenses off some of the LEDs and they all look like the silicone(?) on top/inside of each LED looks dried and cracked. If I had to replace every LED I'd need 5 sets of 20 from that seller. Unless I can find them on Digikey(I looked a little, didn't find quite what I think they would be rated. I could be wrong). Which would cost $75.

What do you guys think? Should I just replace the burned ones and not worry about the others unless/until they burn out?
    Disclaimer: Don't trust a thing I say-I am frequently wrong!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

Some of the things I've fixed:
    60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Re: New T.V.!!! $60 60inch Vizio Smart T.V. Burnt LEDs, Easy Fix!!!

Well, you bounce from Vizio to Hitachi, so we have no idea what your TV is. Replacing individual LEDs is fairly simple, provided you have the proper tools. Your best bet in finding nearly exact replacement LEDs is on AliExpress, although ebay will sometimes have what you need (they just bought theirs from AliExpress and are reselling them - for a huge profit). You can usually pick up 100 LEDs for less than $10 including shipping from Ali, so the risks aren't very high. It takes about 3 weeks for shipping.

Just replace the burned out LEDs and don't worry about the rest. Once your TV is working, turn down the brightness. I find that the difference in brightness from 100 to 60 is virtually undetectable. This alone will greatly extend the life of the LEDs.

Comment

HAHAHAHA!!! I had to reread my post. It's a Vizio. I don't know why I said Toshiba. lol! that was the other T.V. I've been up all night. WEEEEEE!!!

Thanks so much for the tip man! I will now check aliexpress!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Comment

I just replace the damaged ones. Simple job with a hot plate and identical LEDs
        Whilst there are plenty of "compatible" LEDs on Ali it's the colour you need to watch.
        I recently fitted a single replacement in a Panasonic smart TV. It's ever so slightly warmer, and if you know where to look on a white background the colour is slightly yellow rather than white. I paid about £3 for 100 rather than £80 for a replacement edge strip.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          hot plate
          Literal hot plate?

I'm guessing for even preheating of the work piece?

Never heard of that before but now I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by teryaki View Post
            Literal hot plate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZVQKEp6jxk

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
              Today I learned!

Comment

These are the two types im using a lot of for replacing 3v leds im sure budm uses these to in some of his repairs
                https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...311.0.0.a5AVS0
                https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...311.0.0.a5AVS0
                Last edited by vinceroger69; 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teryaki View Post
                  Literal hot plate?

It's a Honton 2020, a bit oversized so I'm making a small one.
                  Not for preheating, I place the LED strip on top of it, the solder melts and I drop on the replacement LED.

Comment

Make sure to verify the footprint of the LED first.
                    Most LG has large pad for the ANODE which is soldered to the large copper pad of the strip to dissipate the heat.
                    The second link (LG LED) in post 8 is what I use for LG panel.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I do mine with hot air. I do them while still on panel. Just make sure nothing underneath to melt. To replace I heat up pads till molten then drop led on and heat for couple seconds. I replace lens with led lit. Makes it easy to center lens. Which is very important or you will get half moons of light. I also run them for awhile before replacing panel. If they flicker after they heat up you need to resolder them
                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I use this hot plate as a preheater:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1511820629

I bring the item to about 250 F, then use an SMD air gun to take the temp up to reflow. If you use the hot plate to reflow, you run the risk of over-heating the board - its temperature isn't well controlled.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                          I do mine with hot air. I do them while still on panel. Just make sure nothing underneath to melt. To replace I heat up pads till molten then drop led on and heat for couple seconds. I replace lens with led lit. Makes it easy to center lens. Which is very important or you will get half moons of light. I also run them for awhile before replacing panel. If they flicker after they heat up you need to resolder them
                          Just make sure to wear sunglasses
                          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

A lot of VIZIOs use heat conductive double sided tape to attach the LED strips to the chassis. If you try to repair these strips in situ, you run the risk of ruining this strip of tape. If you do, it will no longer conduct heat efficiently and it will possibly lead to further failures down the road.

I use a hair dryer to remove the strips from the tape (leaving the tape in place) and repair the bad LEDs at my bench.

Comment

Many different ways to skin a cat
                              I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

My LED's will be here December 1st!!!!!!!11!!1!1!!!!!!!

I use a Yihua 861D+ $60!!! And good quality! Just remember to try running it woth the cover remover and see which Heat sinks Overheat. It will be the one on the left side-the one they use is puny! I stuck a much better aluminum one in there ans used good heatsink paste. I don't think they used ANY!
                                Last edited by NeedsMoreFlux; 11-29-2017, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedsMoreFlux View Post
                                  My LED's will be here December 1st!!!!!!!11!!1!1!!!!!!!

I use a Yihua 861D+ $60!!! And good quality! Just remember to try running it woth the cover remover and see which Heat sinks Overheat. It will be the one on the left side-the one they use is puny! I stuck a much better aluminum one in there ans used good heatsink paste. I don't think they used ANY!
                                  Correction: 862D+

Comment

Working...
                                  X