Motherboards boots up and holds for 20 secs, then shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboards boots up and holds for 20 secs, then shutdown

So, I've grabbed this board (a Tyan S7012) again after letting it rest for some time. Tested it with a E5506 (80W TDP, prolly draws way less than this), booted into Windows, everything working.

Swapped the CPU for a X5690 (130W TDP) and BLAM! 20 seconds after booting, it abrputly shutdowns. It happened before (thus the first sentence). I'm hearing a very quiet "shh" sound from the caps - this board uses polymers (I think they are NCC since it have something that resembles their logo) and electrolytics (SUNCON and NCC KZG series). None of them have bulged/leaked.

Never did a recap on a server-grade motherboard before (PCB back is heavy with SMD components), so... Where should I start (and I'm actually assuming it is a cap problem because of the sound they (?) make, but I'm not sure)?
    Last edited by Snayperskaya; 03-11-2018, 04:25 PM.

Re: Motherboards boots up and holds for 20 secs, then shutdown

Originally posted by Snayperskaya View Post
    So, I've grabbed this board (a Tyan S7012) again after letting it rest for some time. Tested it with a E5506 (80W TDP, prolly draws way less than this), booted into Windows, everything working.

Swapped the CPU for a X5690 (130W TDP) and BLAM! 20 seconds after booting, it abrputly shutdowns. It happened before (thus the first sentence). I'm hearing a very quiet "shh" sound from the caps - this board uses polymers (I think they are NCC since it have something that resembles their logo) and electrolytics (SUNCON and NCC KZG series). None of them have bulged/leaked.

Never did a recap on a server-grade motherboard before (PCB back is heavy with SMD components), so... Where should I start (and I'm actually assuming it is a cap problem because of the sound they (?) make, but I'm not sure)?
    The "shh" sound that you are hearing is probably the KZG caps venting built up hydrogen gas and electrolyte vapor. I have seen this happen with KZG and KZJ caps venting through the rubber bungs instead of venting at the top of the cans.

Comment

Nice, I didn't know that they could act like this.

Given this symptom, should I go for a recap? I'm pretty green with mobo reparing.

Is swapping the electrolytics with polymers for extended life doable?
      Last edited by Snayperskaya; 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I'd love to hear from anyone with expertise in mobo repair about this one.

Comment

If you have a vacuum pump type Desoldiering Gun it can be done
          If you have a temperature controlled hot air gun
          If you take your time and do not get in a hurry

Heat the pad and pin on the cap with the Desoldiering gun until the cap pin is lose then suck the solder a way when I do this I might have the temperature set a 800* F but I only leave the heat on long enough to get the pin lose then remove the heat

If the solder close pin hole and it has ground plane then it can become tricky to get the solder off the pin hole then you want to have a temperature controlled hot air gun and your Desoldiering gun at the same time one on each side of the board
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-14-2018, 03:37 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
          X