Logitech M305, optical LED went amber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech M305, optical LED went amber.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.
    Its a constant amber color. It doesn't vary with temperature or use. Still works on white or yellow surfaces, but that's it. The LED package isn't yellowed or burnt.
    It seems like the phosphorus is poisoned or something. Anyody got any explanations? Seen this before?

I'll post pictures of the inside once i find my jewlers screwdriver set..
    Attached Files
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: Logitech M305, optical LED went amber.

if it is phosphor-doped UV or blue die then it could have cooked the phosphor.
    but why the hell use that tech for red of all colours?

Comment

I would say it's a red led that got zapped from ESD. I have seen that damage an LED and the colour shifts and it's dimmer.
      Or the bonding wire has lifted and made a current hot-spot which roasts part of the die, and you get shifted colour.

Logitech M305 probably uses (looks like) Avago (Broadcom) optical mouse sensor. Maybe check the part markings. https://sensor.fyi/list/
      Avago spec a 5mm red LED 634nm for their sensors. Amber is around 620nm, IR LED's are around 940nm.

ADNS-3050 is an example.
      ADNS-6010 is a laser type, but still red.
      Attached Files

Comment

^ Hmm. I wonder if swapping it for a 640nm LED would work. 620nm does!
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The sensor is an ADNS-5095. Opening it up i found some black oxidation on the leads of the LED, near the package. I think redwire is right, its been overheated.
          Last edited by goontron; 09-25-2018, 07:38 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Wowza.
            First time I see a mouse and an LED fail like that. (Most LEDs I've cooked - when I was younger and still learning electronics - just ended up burning until they got dimmer and dimmer.)

... then again, most of my mice are with a ball. No red LEDs or lasers.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Wowza.
              First time I see a mouse and an LED fail like that. (Most LEDs I've cooked - when I was younger and still learning electronics - just ended up burning until they got dimmer and dimmer.)
              I would think that LEDs with a missing phosphor, would be bluish or purplish!
              (Not HPS-like amber)
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
              X