GigaByte K8NSC-939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GigaByte K8NSC-939

This is my brother's computer MB. The computer boots fine but then shuts down randomly and starts going into a rebooting cycle.

I found 5 bulging caps evident in the photo below.

I'm going to change those 5 caps and see if that fixes it.

I'll let you know.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: GigaByte K8NSC-939

That's odd... When was this board manufactured? What's the datecode on those bulged Nichicon HM?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Don't just replace the 5 bulgers. Replace them all. The others are probably not far off failing, or may have already failed without visibly showing it. Also make sure to use good ultra-low ESR caps, not just any 1000uF caps. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131 will be fine.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I take it this is the code: A0451

I looked for the manufacturer date but the font is so small I need a magnifying glass. I'd say it's about 5 to 6 yrs old though running a P4 I believe.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        That's odd... When was this board manufactured? What's the datecode on those bulged Nichicon HM?

Comment

Yes, I know that's the way I'll go. I'm going to make a list of all the values etc..

I also have three shuttles in my garage with bad caps. I'll make a different post when I get to those. This site really opened my eyes on why comps go bad.

Thanks

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          Don't just replace the 5 bulgers. Replace them all. The others are probably not far off failing, or may have already failed without visibly showing it. Also make sure to use good ultra-low ESR caps, not just any 1000uF caps. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131 will be fine.

Comment

A0451 is indeed the date code. That means year 2004, week 51, which means that they are defective. The problem wasn't fixed until the next year.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

A0451 is indeed the date code. That means year 2004, week 51, which means that they are defective. The problem wasn't fixed until the next year.
              It should have been fixed by 2004 week 51 but apparently it wasn't.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                No, it was fixed during 2005. Some of the early 2005 caps may also be suspect.

Comment

A quick update, I replaced the 5 bulging caps (6.3v 1000uf HMs) with exact replacements and the MB has not shutdown once after staying on a full day. I know I should probably replace all the caps but I may just ride this out as I really want to get to my shuttles

I am going to do a fresh windows install as well and leave it at that for now.

Thanks-

Comment

Originally posted by algomez View Post
                    ... running a P4 I believe.
                    the k8nsc939 is an amd athlon 64 socket 939 motherboard NOT pentium 4.

also, i'd like to point out that its a nvidia chipset mobo which *might* have solder balling problems on the chipset. not sure if nvidia nforce3 250gb chipsets are on the list of bad nvidia chipsets but if it is, then u might have repaired it now but it might eventually fail again down the road. just fyi~ lol

Comment

^
                      This board predates the problems. that only affected Socket AM2 boards.

Comment

Working...
                      X