Rubycon fakes??? or just blown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubycon fakes??? or just blown?

I ordered a mobo off ebay from hong kong, got it today, It works, but blown caps.

Pictures below.

I'm not sure if these blew due to heat or are fakes?

I have rubycons from another matching board and the font doesn't seem to match, the bad ones are more bold then the good ones.
    Attached Files

Re: Rubycon fakes??? or just blown?

How fake cap sellers on eBay operate:

There is a large network of "trinket" sellers on eBay. They sell anything from iPod silicon covers to LED gizmos.

Usually they will have a section dedicated to counterfeit and usually low-quality but good looking fakes. They start to sell to unsuspecting individuals. When they start to receive enough negative feedback, they switch the entire capacitor section to another seller in their network. When the previous seller has built up sufficient positive feedback from selling their other trinkets, they will switch the capacitor inventory back.

This way, they can stay ahead of the negative feedback that would otherwise ward off most people.

An example:

Seller is "goodbuy7888" from Hong Kong.

You have to dig pretty far back in his feedback to find this.

They're getting smarter and smarter and the fakes are getting better and better. I picked up a Panasonic FC from a relatively local electronics shop that is almost visually indistinguishable from the real thing. Avoid caps from eBay Hong Kong sellers.
    Attached Files
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Avoid caps from eBay Hong Kong sellers.
      The one (or one of very few) exception is http://stores.ebay.com.au/PC-MotherB...pacitors-Store
      He only sells caps AND there is no difference between caps I've bought from him, caps I've bought from topcat, and caps I've pulled from motherboards. I have several boards in service which I've used his caps on and no problems yet.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

But he is not cheap.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I know. I used him untill I realised how much cheaper topcat was, although since he only charges $2 shipping, he can be cheaper for smaller orders.
          Last edited by c_hegge; 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

If those are fakes, they're certainly very good fakes... The color is unusual, but I've seen black/white MCZ before on Dell boards, so it's not unheard of.

You said they were on a board. Did the board show any signs of rework?

I've seen blown MCZ before too. They're very reliable overall, but not indestructible.

Comment

Came off a HP board, looked at the back before I began work on it, no signs of rework.

You never seen black/white ruby's? I have them on alot of boards, I only noticed this one when I compared it to 2 other boards that had ruby's and noticed the font is more bold on these bad ones.

I got suspicious considering the origin of the board.

Anyways I replaced the passive north-bridge cooler with an active one apparently it puts out alot of heat and the spot where the bad ruby's are sit next to this furnace.

Thanks mocking bird for the heads up, I will be more cautious next time.

Comment

Mad_Professor; yyonline said that they are unusual but that he has seen them before

I say they look genuine too, they where probably cooked.
                Remember they are only rated for 2000h @ 105°C
                For example if that chipset runs as hot as I've seen them do and heats the capacitor internal temp to 75°C
                Then it would only take 16000 hours for it to fail, that is ca 267 days...
                Bloating will take longer but at this stage in time it would be outside the tolerance of the manufacturers specifications...
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I think they are from the Rubycon Malaysia where as the standard color are made in Japan.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Just gotta love FleaBay!

Yeah, you gotta watch those tricky chinese fleabayers. I bought a MoBo of of one of these clowns (probably the same guy with a different acct. wouldn't put it past). It was an Asus A8N-VM board I was interested in because I wanted a board w/more than two SATA ports to do some RAID'n on. The picture CLEARLY showed the four SATA connectors from a later revision. When the board finally arrived, I was dismayed to see it was actually an EARLY revision board with only two SATA ports!!!! Neeedless to say, I was pissed off to the highest of pisstivity, flamebasted him, then reported him to idontcarebay, who proceeded to do nothing because "he offered a PARTIAL discount, which I didn't accept"!!! Needless to say I no longer buy ANYTHING if it says the item is in Hong Kong. And these days, I really have to be hard pressed to buy anything from FleaBay at all, because of the outrageous prices they charge to sell anything on there. I also find it very peculiar that FleaBay "users" from China are EVERYWHERE on the "USA" part of FleaBay. Yet, you actually have to purposefully navigate to FleaBay.UK, FleaBay.DE, etc.

Moral of the story: Buy from Hong Kong and there's a 99% chance your gonna get burned like a bad cap!

:endrant:
                    If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Looks counterfeit to me!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

They look real to me.

Comment

yups.. looks real to me too

days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I think the black and white MCZ have Polyethylene terephthalate sleeves and are marked with "PET". I believe the gold lettering MCZ have PVC sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                              I think the black and white MCZ have Polyethylene terephthalate sleeves and are marked with "PET". I believe the gold lettering MCZ have PVC sleeves.
                              Correct, PET(black/Grey) sleeves use the "option" section in part number of EFC as well. This used to be helpful when searching for MCZs if everyone was out of the PVC sometimes you would get lucky using the EFC part number. example PVC: 6.3MCZ820M8X11.5, PET: 6.3MCZ820MEFC8X11.5

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                I think they are from the Rubycon Malaysia where as the standard color are made in Japan.
                                Rubycon does not have a plant in Malaysia ( Nichicon does ), Rubycons only overseas Production Base is in Mukakuning,Batam, INDONESIA. Black/grey MCZs are Poly Ethylene Terephthalate for the hippies.

Comment

Same place when you go by boat.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                    Same place when you go by boat.
                                    By that logic your Mexican and I'm Canadian lol

Comment

Originally posted by yanz View Post
                                      yups.. looks real to me too
                                      Those look fine, because the other Rubycon series are usually that color and the label text looks even clearer.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by TCKTMB View Post
                                        By that logic your Mexican and I'm Canadian lol
                                        Judging by my neighborhood I AM in Mexico less the drug cartels.
                                        Kind'a like it that way.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X