Sharp LC-32D62U horizontal lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC-32D62U horizontal lines

I have an older model year (2007) 1080p Sharp LC-32D62U. Great unit but it does get hot, which is probably a problem for the components inside.

I had fine white horizontal static and moving lines appear one day on all inputs and on the OTA antenna. Also, the on screen display area (volume control, channel number / input display, setup menu etc.) were not solid and all displayed prominent vertical lines.

When I opened the TV i noticed the thermal pads fell off of the 2 large chips on the main board. The adhesive glue that held them on top of the chip had dried out. What can I use to reapply these pads on these two chips? Should I leave them as is or reapply these thermal pads?

Fortunately, after removing the shielding, the main board, and re-seating the cables on the main board the horizontal lines issue & display issue went away and the TV appears to be working normally again. So...what should I do about these thermal pads?

Re: Sharp LC-32D62U horizontal lines

I have attached images of the screen and the main board with heatsink / thermal pads removed from 2 main chips

Screen shows white horizontal lines. Is this a over heating problem on the main board?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Savario; 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

What you are experiencing is very common in the 62U and 64U series TVs from that era. It could have occurred because of overheating on those chips, but it happens regardless. You'll need to replace the main board and definitely make sure the heat sinks and thermal pads are in place on the new one.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think the problem is one or both of these chips.

IC3501/3502 (RH-iXB822WJQZQ)

These ICs are 128-Mbit GDDR SDRAM (Graphic Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM), providing a memory for image processing and buffering
        OSD data.

Comment

Hey Savario. Did you ever solve the problem? I have the exact same TV displaying the problem shown in your picture of the menu (vertical lines). I first tried to replace the T-CON board and that did not fix the issue. I then replaced the Main Controller board and it solved the problem although now after a few hours of running the TV shuts off with a blinking light error. I believe it to be a heat related problem of which I'm going to try and remove the thermal pads and reapply with new thermal paste to see if that helps. If I leave the TV off for a couple days and turn it back on it works fine for a number of hours then shuts off. I will also try it on my original board as the TV never shut off but did have the vertical line issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Savario View Post
            I have an older model year (2007) 1080p Sharp LC-32D62U.
            Holy smokes! That's the socket 775 and 65nm era! Back then, even 720p was hard to get, IIRC.

That was in the pre-HD The Weather Channel era, because The Weather Channel's HD was officially launched on very likely, June 2, 2008.

IIRC, I do remember as far back as the mid-2000s, when ESPN had an ad for HD!

That was the plasma-TV-golden-era! Now, I wished I gotten a plasma TV back then!

The era was a major case of TVs being ready before the content providers!

For TVs at the time, I had an early-2000s Panasonic CRT TV that probably was 27 inches or close to that.
            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-20-2019, 12:25 PM.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Minkey View Post
              Hey Savario. Did you ever solve the problem? I have the exact same TV displaying the problem shown in your picture of the menu (vertical lines). I first tried to replace the T-CON board and that did not fix the issue. I then replaced the Main Controller board and it solved the problem although now after a few hours of running the TV shuts off with a blinking light error. I believe it to be a heat related problem of which I'm going to try and remove the thermal pads and reapply with new thermal paste to see if that helps. If I leave the TV off for a couple days and turn it back on it works fine for a number of hours then shuts off. I will also try it on my original board as the TV never shut off but did have the vertical line issue.
              No, i did not solve the problem. I knew mine was a main board problem because I could put some pressure using my finger on one of the ram chips and get a clear picture. It would work for a while, but then revert back to distorted picture. Eventually the distortion got worse, and eventually I could see just solid vertical lines and no picture (only sound) .

I replaced the main board with another one that was supposed to be pulled off a working TV (I think the 37" model) but that didn't work . The replacement board didn't get me any video or sound .

Its the heat that killed this TV.

Comment

Working...
              X