Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 - VGA_CORE voltage missing

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to try out myself in notebook repairs, so I bought a non-working Dell Inspiron 15. After speaking with previous owner, I've been told that a service already tried to repair it. Or not, I am not sure, because as prev. owner told me, it was sitting by them for a long time, and she was not sure that they even opened it. I also haven't seen any attempts on the motherboard (no flux residues, etc)
    Symptom: Motherboard tries to boot, fan starts spinning, but gives no picture and after a few seconds it gives 7 beeps. This beeping repeats.
    So, I've checked the voltages, all are present, except VGA_CORE.
    No shorts to ground on this line, so I tried to give 1.05V to this line via an external lab power supply. No change in the problem.
    My psu has limited output, it is max. 6A, I am not sure if it should be enough to power this line.
    I attach the schematic, it is on page 81. PU8201 has 5V on its input, the output fets are not shorted, which signal should I test next?

Link to schematic - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52924
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-18-2023, 07:34 AM.
    Cheers, Janos

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 - VGA_CORE voltage missing

Replace vcore Ic first.

Comment

try flashing bios, same sympton on asus x45a rev.2.0 model. no vga_core. after flashed the bios it's back to normal

Comment

mcplslg123 & kodox: thank you very much.
        First, I will try to rewrite the bios, as it is easier.
        By the way, do you know, where could I download a bios for this motherboard? I would read out first the old, and compare it with a known good one.
        If it doesn't help, I will replace the vcore IC.
        It says it is a RT8812AGQW-GP chip. Google doesn't help me much, where can I order it? First I will go through my donor boards, see if I find one working specimen, but if I have no luck, I must order one.
        Edit: never mind the last part, I found it on eBay.
        Last edited by yohnsee; 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM.
        Cheers, Janos

Comment

You can get the bios right here but you didnt mentioned the full model and Motherboard markings. post those details here and your old dump here. Some one will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
            You can get the bios right here but you didnt mentioned the full model and Motherboard markings. post those details here and your old dump here. Some one will help you.
            You are right, I will post every data as soon as I get back to this motherboard.
            I am out of "office" until next friday, for some field work.
            Will post back as soon as I can.
            Cheers, Janos

Comment

Hi,i have 7 beeps on my dell inspiron 3542,how to solve this please?!

Comment

Originally posted by dirigjenti29 View Post
                Hi,i have 7 beeps on my dell inspiron 3542,how to solve this please?!
                Open a new thread please

Comment

Originally posted by yohnsee View Post
                  Hello everyone,
                  I wanted to try out myself in notebook repairs, so I bought a non-working Dell Inspiron 15. After speaking with previous owner, I've been told that a service already tried to repair it. Or not, I am not sure, because as prev. owner told me, it was sitting by them for a long time, and she was not sure that they even opened it. I also haven't seen any attempts on the motherboard (no flux residues, etc)
                  Symptom: Motherboard tries to boot, fan starts spinning, but gives no picture and after a few seconds it gives 7 beeps. This beeping repeats.
                  So, I've checked the voltages, all are present, except VGA_CORE.
                  No shorts to ground on this line, so I tried to give 1.05V to this line via an external lab power supply. No change in the problem.
                  My psu has limited output, it is max. 6A, I am not sure if it should be enough to power this line.
                  I attach the schematic, it is on page 81. PU8201 has 5V on its input, the output fets are not shorted, which signal should I test next?

did you solve this issue ? cause i have the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by CiS_Tech View Post
                    did you solve this issue ? cause i have the same problem
                    Unfortunately no. I gave up eventually.
                    Cheers, Janos

Comment

Working...
                    X