HP dv7-7133nr No Video Problem Goya/Balen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP dv7-7133nr No Video Problem Goya/Balen

I have a hp Goya Balen motherboard, I am a beginner to repairing motherboards. The motherboard turns on but no video, also this motherboard does not have a GPU. The question I would like to ask is what do I have to look for? It seems to me like most people would think that the problem would be the GPU, but I know it would not be that. I have checked the capacitors under the CPU and some appeared to be shorted to ground, but to make sure it wasn't I took it off the board and they were not shorted to ground. I am curious if this would be a resistor or a bios issue? I did find a schematic for Goya/Balen, but the schematic is for motherboards with GPU.
    Attached Files

Re: HP dv7-7133nr No Video Problem Goya/Balen

Post a close up picture of the area around PU4002 ,SPR5,PL4001 , and a second picture to the right of PL4001
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

It was kind of hard to get a focus when getting close, is this good enough? I checked the coil and there is open line and no beep on that coil. I do see like a little black dot between PU4003 and PL4001, not sure if its a burn or not.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by alextech; 10-10-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Clean up that whole area with a brush and 100% IPA alcohol. Check voltage on PU4004 and PU4006 pins 1,4,8 . Use the attatched schematic for reference
        Attached Files
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Ok I have an update, apparently when I was checking the board I accidently shorted a capacitor with the dc in connector and resulted in no power. I shorted a cap that I touched and a diode 330 that I did not and replaced but still have no power. I bought a power supply to see if it could help me find a bad component. I checked for voltage on PU4004 AND PU4006. It appears that all pins have 3 to 4 volts except for pu4006 top pins have 19v. the volts are jumping back and forth by 1 on the 3 to 4 volts. I have not looked at the schematics just yet, I have been busy. I will get back once I have time.

Comment

Ok so I decided to make 2 videos to see whats really going with volts and continuity:

Continuity mode - https://youtu.be/BoEGsMrGTMg
            Volts mode - https://youtu.be/khCbiGNBne8

Comment

Its likely that PU4006 is damaged. Remove PU4006 and PU4004 from the board and test them .

Comment

Ok I was not sure how to test PU4006, so what I did was check continuity on pins 1 2 3 and 4 and there is no beep. Also I saw a video of a very similar board with no power and had same PU4006 transistor and he basically jump the other side to pin 2 and he had power. However I tried that and it did not work. After putting the transistors back, I am now getting 12 and sometimes 15 volts on PU4004 leg 1, but on pin 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 are 1.2 and sometimes 1.5 volts. How is this possible? Also I checked coils in ohms and the back of the board all have open line, but in the front there about 100 ohms.

Here is video checking ohms: https://youtu.be/DzV8nn04Yz4
                Here is mb similar problem: https://youtu.be/mAFrdkbnTz0

I have ordered transistors and will change if needed.
                Last edited by alextech; 10-14-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Correction: PU4004 pins 1 2 3 4: .3 and .4 v (jumping up and down)
                  5 6 7 8: .9 volts
                  PU4006: pins 1 2 3 4: .3 and.4 v (up and down)
                  Pins 5 6 7 8: 19 v

Comment

Ok, so I replaced the PU4006 and PU4004 and still no power. The reading on PU4006 leg 5 6 7 8 is 19v and the 1 2 3 4 are no volts. The reading on PU4004 leg 5 6 7 8 are .9 volts and leg 1 2 3 4 are no volts. The volts are not going up and down anymore. Would I need to use a power supply to load amps on PU4006?

Comment

No ,don`t inject power just yet. Check volts on pin 6 of PU4001, then disconnect all power and test ohms to gnd on pins 1,2,3,4 and 6 .

Comment

Ok, so you said PU4001, I think you probably meant PU4002? There is no PU4001 on this board. I took pictures to clarify what you meant. A little bit dirty due to the unclean flux I put. Another note PC4025 has 66 k Ohms on one side but the problem it not the capacitor itself.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by alextech; 11-17-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Ok, so when you said PU4001, I believe you were referring to BQ738

Ok PIN 1 on BQ738/BQ24738 (same), schematics says its PU4001 but on mb is not shown.
                          VOLTS:
                          PIN 1 - .9 v
                          PIN 4 - no volts
                          PIN 6 - no volts

OHMS:
                          PIN 1-4 Open Line
                          PIN 6 60 k ohms
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by alextech; 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

PC4010 looks burnt. SC2D2U25V5KX , 2.2uf 25V .Replace it and do the same tests.

EDIT: PQ4003 on the board looks like it has a burn mark on the top
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-18-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

PC4010 and PQ4003 looks like that because of the no clean flux I used, I thought I bought the flux I was looking for like they use at my job but it wasn't. I put too much thats why it looks like that, I left a note for that. I will try to clean it more. PC4010 I was going to replace but realized there was still 66 k ohms on the board, so I decided to put it back. I need to check SC2D2U25V5KX, Is this not shown on the picture or are you referring to PC4010? I will replace PC4010 just in case though.
                              Last edited by alextech; 11-18-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

PC4010 is on the board.On your picture at post #12 it looks burnt or its not seated across both pads. PC4010 on the schematic has the part number SC2D2U25V5KX.You need to replace the BQ24738 , its not going to be easy though if you`ve never soldered a QFN IC before.Practice first on some other scrap boards,watch youtube videos, use plenty of flux and a fine tip on the soldering iron.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                  PC4010 is on the board.On your picture at post #12 it looks burnt or its not seated across both pads. PC4010 on the schematic has the part number SC2D2U25V5KX.You need to replace the BQ24738 , its not going to be easy though if you`ve never soldered a QFN IC before.Practice first on some other scrap boards,watch youtube videos, use plenty of flux and a fine tip on the soldering iron.
                                  Thanks for letting me know to practice on that one, I will practice with some scrap boards before I change it. I replaced PC4010, should look a lot better now.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by alextech; 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Ok I changed BQ738 and here is the volts and ohms on the pins, still wont power on:
                                    1 .9 v
                                    4 30mV
                                    6 2.6 v

1 4 ohms
                                    2 4 ohms
                                    3 4 ohms
                                    4 OL
                                    6 60 k ohms

Also I have a pic where the short happened and the BQ738 IC chip that I replaced:
                                    Attached Files

Comment

BQ24738 is not correct

pin 1=19v
                                      pin 2=19v
                                      pin 3=19v
                                      pin 4= must be high to operate N Channel mosfet to by pass voltage above 20V
                                      pin 6=2.7v

remove PT4601 cap and test it
                                      Last edited by Techtiger; 12-14-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I forgot to mention PT4601, I did tested it when I removed and was short and I did replace.

Comment

Working...
                                        X