copper or tin plated wire terminals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copper or tin plated wire terminals

Does anybody know where to buy these in the states anymore? It seems everything is solderless aluminum terminals and connectors. I am looking for some "Y" spade type crimp and solder type for 14 AWG wire.
    Thanks,
    db
    Last edited by dungbeetle; 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM.
    Regards,
    db

Re: copper or tin plated wire terminals

Something like this do?
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...rminals/1.html
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

No, Those are the kind that everybody sells. I am looking for the type I can solder my wires to. Like the good old days with copper terminals.
      Thanks though,
      db
      Regards,
      db

Comment

Umm, how about these? lol!

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...estring=Spades
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Hi,
          Those are definitely copper but a little high priced I would guess. I should really call All Electronics as suggested by the first response just to be 100% sure they are not all aluminum like every store in town sells nowadays. I guess tinned and solderable or copper is what I need. Thanks for the link though as I may have to use it.
          db
          Regards,
          db

Comment

Okay, then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-pair-Speaker-C...20113007r21368
            Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

I solder to the first kind I showed you no problem.
              You just have to be smarter than the terminal.
              Pull the piece of plastic off.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

The one link that has plastic insulation are solderable too, there are other that does not have insulation collars versions. Aluminum in thin gauge necessary to form complex designs for terminals is too soft and breaks after few flexings, so brass is used.
                These spade and loop, U terminals are made of unplated or plated brass. Not copper, copper is toooo soft. But copper terminals stuff is also used if gauge is thick enough, usually used for very low gauge sizes like 0 to 10 gauge stuff.

Be aware that unplated terminals oxizidates. Use plated ones instead or use anti-oxidation grease, probably not suitable for your reasons.

Cheers, Wizard
                Last edited by Wizard; 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics
                  Too much for what I need. I always used to solder to my terminal I had on hand but now all the stores carry aluminum crimp-ons. I just need a source to replenish my stock.
                  Thanks,
                  db
                  Regards,
                  db

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    I solder to the first kind I showed you no problem.
                    You just have to be smarter than the terminal.
                    Pull the piece of plastic off.
                    I realize to remove the plastic first and you may be correct that those work and are what I am looking for but as I stated earlier, I went to 6 stores locally and everyone of them only had aluminum in the spade type for 14 awg wire.
                    Thanks,
                    db
                    Regards,
                    db

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                      The one link that has plastic insulation are solderable too, there are other that does not have insulation collars versions. Aluminum in thin gauge necessary to form complex designs for terminals is too soft and breaks after few flexings, so brass is used.
                      These spade and loop, U terminals are made of unplated or plated brass. Not copper, copper is toooo soft. But copper terminals stuff is also used if gauge is thick enough, usually used for very low gauge sizes like 0 to 10 gauge stuff.

Be aware that unplated terminals oxizidates. Use plated ones instead or use anti-oxidation grease, probably not suitable for your reasons.

Cheers, Wizard
                      I found this link that at least tells you what you are getting:
                      Ace terminals
                      Not the right size but unlike the first link they at least tell you what they are made of. I guess I will try the magnet trick and check some more when I go to the next bigger town in a day or two...
                      Thanks,
                      db
                      Regards,
                      db

Comment

I think you see the color and think it's aluminum.
                        Most of them are tin plated steel or brass.
                        Tin is for corrosion and it makes them easy to solder to.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                          I think you see the color and think it's aluminum.
                          Most of them are tin plated steel or brass.
                          Tin is for corrosion and it makes them easy to solder to.
                          I think you are right about this. It started out I had some cheap aluminum ones mixed in with my good ones. Then I went out looking for copper ones and mentioned to the sales people the word aluminum and we all were fooled by the color. I bought some from rat shack and they soldered fine. I guess being sick all week will suffice for my excuse.
                          Thanks,
                          db
                          Regards,
                          db

Comment

Working...
                          X