Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get miniature caps?!

hi

well.. i had to temporary fix my LCD monitor (HP L1820) a few months ago..
    those Elite and Lelon caps in there were all bad.
    because i needed the LCD i temporary fixed it with some (partly) junk caps that were way too big connected with wires to the original cap locations.

i searched for matching and fitting miniature caps, but couldn't find any.
    they were either too big to fit inside there (so i wouldn't be able to put the LCD back together) or they would fit inside there, but they didn't have matching values.

as the temporary fix worked quite good (allthough i mixed up all caps that i could find... rubys, pannys, OSTs, and g-luxons.. partly even in series) i "forgot" about searching for a real fix..

now this temporary fix seems to die on me again
    the backlight randomly turns off when the LCD warms up a bit..

so i added a pc-fan on top of the LCD (where the openings are) running at 5V. seems to be enough to keep it working for a few hours..

but .,.. well.. that temporary fan-fix for the temporary cap-fix pretty much sucks..
    so now i really need to find matching and fitting replacemend caps.

i went through my fav. ebay cap sellers ( PCMCS and audjade_chn ) and through big pope's cap database .. unfortunately without luck

i took a pic of the desoldered caps.

Lelon is 16V 220uF
    Elite is 10V 220uF (but i cant use 6.3V caps for those, because the voltages where those Elite craps were range from about 3V to 9V.. so 6.3V isn't really an option..)

click for full size

the ruby is just for size comparison (to show how small the other ones really are)

most of those caps lost at least 1 leg while desoldering (-.-)
    the legs came out of the cap itself, but not out of the pcb

Elite:
    height: 5mm (without legs)

Lelon:
    height: 7mm (without legs)

diameter: 7.5mm (8mm?!) -> same for elite and lelon
    pin pitch: 3mm -> same for elite and lelon

any ideas..?! :/

Re: Where to get miniature caps?!

I bet this caps are custom size.

I have searched but I have found nothing in the same shape but something that maybe can do the job:

Panasonic
    http://it.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=1883159
    150μF 6,3V 105°C pin pitch 3.5mm height 10.5mm dia. 8mm

If you can use SMT type you can try this one:

Panasonic FK
    220μF 16V 105°C height 6,2mm dia. 8mm
    http://it.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=5370455

Panasonic FC
    220μF 16V 105°C height 6,2mm dia. 8mm
    http://it.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=5370067

You can search also on Digikey

I hope you can use RS in your country.
    If you have already checked here (RS, Digikey) forget my post.

Ciao
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

You will have less troubles sourcing replacements if you can fit 11-12mm tall caps in there.

Specs for old ones:

Lelon SG series 220uF 16v
      8mm diameter, 7mm length, 3.5mm Lead Spacing, Ripple 146 uA, not low ESR

I can't see the series on the Elites.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

You could use 16v caps to replace both the Lelon and Elites.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          You could use 16v caps to replace both the Lelon and Elites.
          thats what i wanted to do..
          You will have less troubles sourcing replacements if you can fit 11-12mm tall caps in there.
          there's the problem: i can't
          if i put 11mm tall caps in there, i can't get the LCDs back cover back on
          soldering them in in parallel to the board (meaning: lying flat on the board) isn't possible everywhere on the PCB too.. surrounding components in the way.. :/

Specs for old ones:
          I can't see the series on the Elites.
          those elite seem to be "SB" series... even less tall than those lelons..

damn,... this LCD is a really nice piece of hardware... as long as it works at least :/

DVI and VGA, 18" 1280x1024, lots of CCFL tubes (brightness is incredible... i just cant remember if there were 6 or 8 (!) CCFL tubes in there) and it was used for only ~70 hours before i got it (at least the backlight info in the OSD menu told me this..)

and i got it for 20€ (= 27,52 US$ ATM) beacause the power brick was missing (12V 4A .. running off my PC PSU now.. so i don't even need to turn the LCD on or off anymore )
          Last edited by Scenic; 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Elite SB series 220uF 10v is also not low ESR.
            8mm diameter, 5mm length, Ripple = 120 uA

GP caps would be fine.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
              hi

well.. i had to temporary fix my LCD monitor (HP L1820) a few months ago..
              those Elite and Lelon caps in there were all bad.
              because i needed the LCD i temporary fixed it with some (partly) junk caps that were way too big connected with wires to the original cap locations.

i searched for matching and fitting miniature caps, but couldn't find any.
              they were either too big to fit inside there (so i wouldn't be able to put the LCD back together) or they would fit inside there, but they didn't have matching values.

as the temporary fix worked quite good (allthough i mixed up all caps that i could find... rubys, pannys, OSTs, and g-luxons.. partly even in series) i "forgot" about searching for a real fix..

now this temporary fix seems to die on me again
              the backlight randomly turns off when the LCD warms up a bit..

so i added a pc-fan on top of the LCD (where the openings are) running at 5V. seems to be enough to keep it working for a few hours..

but .,.. well.. that temporary fan-fix for the temporary cap-fix pretty much sucks..
              so now i really need to find matching and fitting replacemend caps.

i went through my fav. ebay cap sellers ( PCMCS and audjade_chn ) and through big pope's cap database .. unfortunately without luck

i took a pic of the desoldered caps.

Lelon is 16V 220uF
              Elite is 10V 220uF (but i cant use 6.3V caps for those, because the voltages where those Elite craps were range from about 3V to 9V.. so 6.3V isn't really an option..)

click for full size

the ruby is just for size comparison (to show how small the other ones really are)

most of those caps lost at least 1 leg while desoldering (-.-)
              the legs came out of the cap itself, but not out of the pcb

Elite:
              height: 5mm (without legs)

Lelon:
              height: 7mm (without legs)

diameter: 7.5mm (8mm?!) -> same for elite and lelon
              pin pitch: 3mm -> same for elite and lelon

any ideas..?! :/
              If you dont' hurry, i can order some height 7mm caps (Samxon ZS or KS) for you from factory directly. It is not a problem.

Just let me know if you want.
              My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Working...
              X