MSI GP63 MS-16P5 no image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GP63 MS-16P5 no image

Hi, have a MSI GP63 LEOPARD with a MS-16P5 motherboard that stars POST, but seems not finish successfully.
    It has no lcd/hdmi image and any usb boot device led doesn't blink.
    I have tested a new bios dump from MSI website and a good ddr4 module.

Power consumtion is about 1.4 to 1.6 amps (fluctuates) while start posting, and after 20 seconds changes to 1.306 amps.

+VCC_CORE is 0.999 volts during posting, then change to 0.0839 volts. (20 seconds later)
    +VCCGT is 0.0 volts and after 20 seconds have a pulse of 0.8 volts and 200 milliseconds wide.
    +VCCIO is 0. 98 volts
    +VCCSA starts in 1.04v and changes to 0.91v
    +1_8VSUS------1.796
    +1.2VDIMM-----1.29v
    +1.05VSUS-----1.049
    FBVDDQ-----1.51v
    NVVDD------0.808v
    NVVDDS-----0.804v

Seems pch or cpu issue, but how to know?

Thanks for your help.

Re: MSI GP63 MS-16P5 no image

Whats the resistances on GPU inductors?
    Cause that "pulse" suggest a "turn on request"

got a schematic?

With these allways include a link so we can take a quick look without searching.

cheers

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...13&postcount=4
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

GPU inductors resistance to ground is normal:
        NVVDDS: 2 ohms (ie: CHOKE7)

+VCC_CORE: 1.99 ohms (ie: PL7)

I have removed PL3 (+VCCGT) in order to check if it causes any disturbance but it behaves the same way.

Here's the schematic:
        Attached Files

Comment

Do not get anything note worthy in my head except is you focus on POST (cause you do not get past it)

Maybe follow "Power on Sequence" and see where you get stuck. Focus on each step.

Im sorry if thats silly but that all i got for now. Sorry i didnt respond ealier.

Comment

Maybe follow "Power on Sequence" and see where you get stuck
            Seems that "power on sequence" reaches the last item. (from RTCVCC to PLT_RST#).

I've asked the forum for the boardview for this motherboard, but probably there is not boardview for now.

I have tested the level of DDR4_DRAMRST#, and it is high level all the time, but it presents some 3 microseconds pulses until it dead. (here is where a digital counter is required)

I tried to connect a debug car, but i can't get it to show any codes. (I am still attempting)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Francisco.s; 10-27-2021, 08:16 AM. Reason: add png file

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
              Seems that "power on sequence" reaches the last item. (from RTCVCC to PLT_RST#).

I've asked the forum for the boardview for this motherboard, but probably there is not boardview for now.

I have tested the level of DDR4_DRAMRST#, and it is high level all the time, but it presents some 3 microseconds pulses until it dead. (here is where a digital counter is required)

I tried to connect a debug car, but i can't get it to show any codes. (I am still attempting)
              Did not want to offend im just a noob and this 1 seems to be baffling,

Since now memory controlers are on cpus - can we somehow eliminate that?

Cpus can work almost flawlessly with damaged mem controllers - had that tooday with ryzen 3700x
              It was booting and stuff working windows blah blah - trigger was valorant

But when i plugged in my cpu (same exact model) - everything was fine. So i plugged in this broken 1 on my board and since i have my ram ocd so tight it actually broke it futher.
              Now on its original system it doeas not want to even get to windows (RMA'd) - But clien still needs to get something - good we have some gen 4 boards with cpus lying around

just a thought
              Last edited by reassor; 10-29-2021, 12:25 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

how about lpc bus, have you checked it?

Comment

If all the power sequence is met, you need to check LPC Frame and Clock and then move on to DMI.

Comment

Hi Guys, I have the identical mainboard with similar fault.

Before all power up function stopped, there is an existing issue
                    1: existing issue - battery would drain within a day or two whilst being powered off and no power input...What would cause such a drain?
                    Just to be sure, initially i just replaced battery with new but same discharge issue remain.

A couple of weeks later, a new fault appear where laptop would initially power on, even just get to operating system showing up then complete power down.
                    from there - push power button showed red light to turn on , now it wont do that at all

So as it is right now:
                    With a good power supply attached, the battery does charge.

So my steps to check voltages:
                    1: pq24 and pq27 = 19.6v on output
                    2: check PL2 choke = 12.2v
                    3: choke 9: +5VSUS=has 5.14v for about 7 seconds after pressing power on button
                    4: PL13: +3VSUS= 3.388v for about 7 seconds after pressing power on button
                    5: L28: +1_8VSUS =1.8v for about 7 seconds after pressing power on button
                    6: PL14: +1.05VSUS = 1.044v for about 7 seconds after pressing power on button
                    7: PL12:+1_2VDIMM = 0.
                    8: check 0.6VRUN_EN: on pushbutton =0v
                    9: check +1.2VDIMM_PWRGD to pin20 of PU7 and no reading.
                    10 +1.2VDIMM_PWRGD also goes to gate of U4.
                    So far this indicates that PU7 TPS51216RUKR_QFN20-HF power supply for DDR2,DDR3andDDR3L may be faulty
                    All i have to check with is my multimeter. I will order another chip and replace and see if that is the source of the failure

Also a visual check of PU21 - MP2147G i see what looks like corrosion between pins 2 and 3 . So going to order replacement for that chip too.

cheers
                    Last edited by msigp63; 01-17-2022, 10:35 PM.

Comment

easily overlooked - appearance of corrosion between pins 2 and 3 of PU21
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X