Seagate Barracuda 500gb 3 1/2" hardrive faulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate Barracuda 500gb 3 1/2" hardrive faulty

Bought this about 15months ago and used it as an external drive for my desktop and laptop. Just stopped working the other day. No noise coming from it so I removed the printed circuit board and gave it a clean. Is there a fuse on this board? Can't think of anything else to try except buying and exact model replacement and swopping the boards over to prove wether its the board or the motor thats at fault.

Re: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 3 1/2" hardrive faulty

Probably a failed drive. Is there any non-replaceable data on the drive (data that doesn't exist anywhere else)?

If not, junk it and replace with a Western Digital drive. Seagate drives are hot garbage. Also, if there are any other Seagate drives in service that you know about, make plans to replace those ASAP.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

^ Oh come now, they aren't all bad. The early dual platter 7200.11 1Tbs are good. Well, mechanically anyway... Firmware
      Last edited by goontron; 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Is/was the drive in a hard drive caddy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornboats View Post
          Bought this about 15months ago and used it as an external drive for my desktop and laptop. Just stopped working the other day. No noise coming from it so I removed the printed circuit board and gave it a clean. Is there a fuse on this board? Can't think of anything else to try except buying and exact model replacement and swopping the boards over to prove wether its the board or the motor thats at fault.
          Did you remove the PCB from the DRIVE? Or, from the ENCLOSURE (into which the drive plugs)?

Try another (sacrifical) drive in the enclosure. If it WORKS, then original drive is bad. If it doesn't work, enclosure is bad.

Comment

maybe there is something wrong with the enclosure? Try another HDD in it.

Comment

check power supply ..
              Last edited by petehall347; 09-22-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I didn't realise Seagate had such a bad reputation. I bought a new caddie but the results are the same. I was trying to eliminate the small circuit board on top of the drive. Is it possible to hardwire the motor bypassing the circuit board just to prove where the fault lies?

Comment

yes you could plug it in on the inside of your pc .

Comment

I didn't realise Seagate had such a bad reputation. I bought a new caddie but the results are the same. I was trying to eliminate the small circuit board on top of the drive. Is it possible to hardwire the motor bypassing the circuit board just to prove where the fault lies?
                    If you have a board from a same but different drive, that would work. The motor itself is a three phase motor, do not just hook up voltage to it it will not work.
                    I just had a seagate 160G drive fail, it was the motor drive ic that failed.

Comment

three phase? o_O
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                        three phase? o_O
                        If the motor has three lines going to it , it is likely a 3-phase brushless dc motor.
                        The one on my drive was a Smooth 100501286, similar to the Smooth L6284
                        Last edited by R_J; 09-23-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                          three phase? o_O
                          Yes..... And?
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

It's not often I find someone in the UK on these forums...if you don't mind paying for recovery, the guys linked below will likely be able to retrieve your data, assuming there is no damage to the platters.
                            You will need to pay for postage to them, but they will inspect the drive and if they cannot retrieve data, they will not charge you. They will only ask for return postage costs to be paid I believe.

They have rescued many failed drives for us in the past - https://www.eadr.co.uk/

I get no benefit from this 'plug', just recommending a good company that I have used many times.

Comment

Working...
                            X