Xubuntu 18.04 display Glitch ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xubuntu 18.04 display Glitch ?

Hi guys i installed Xubuntu 18.04 and it boots and may run find but some times the display graffics go off wack and i have to reboot PC,i had to go back to Xubuntu 16.04 which runs find. e Machines ,amd Athlon IIx2 250U,video card integrated Nvidia card.

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 display Glitch ?

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
    Hi guys i installed Xubuntu 18.04 and it boots and may run find but some times the display graffics go off wack
    Does Xubuntu 18.04 have all the patches up to date?

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

did you try alternative graphics drivers ?

Comment

mine works fine apart from its very slow accessing my phones data card files . it used to be quick . also it now uses all the power of the processor when accessing those files .

Comment

Thanks guys; i did a fresh install and did all updates,about the Nvidea Card it doesn't offer any other graffics alternative driver on Xubuntu 18.04, rather on Xubuntu 16.04 it offers 2 drivers Nvidia legacy 304, and X.org X server Nouveau display

Comment

mine offers 3 different ones

Comment

Thanks guys driver installed in Xubuntu18.04

lshw -numeric -C display
              WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
              *-display
              description: VGA compatible controller
              product: C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10DE:3D0]
              vendor: NVIDIA Corporation [10DE]
              physical id: d
              bus info: pci@0000:00:0d.0
              version: a2
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 66MHz
              capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
              configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
              resources: irq:22 memorye000000-deffffff memory:c000000

I think after i installed, sudo apt install build-essential libc6:i386

So far it has been with no issue,cross my fingers
              Last edited by ivtec; 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Call For Testing: Ubuntu with nVIDIA graphic cards

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/call-...hic-cards/7774

Do you have a nVIDIA graphics card? Do you want to help ensure users have a smooth experience if they choose to use the proprietary or open source drivers?

We are looking for committed volunteers to test nVIDIA with proprietary and open source
                drivers. The goal of this testing is to catch regressions early in the cycle, and fix bugs before they reach a major audience. It is for Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) or Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic), in laptop or PC machines.

If you want to be part of the team you will need:

A computer with a nVIDIA graphics card
                A spare partition on that system (Only If you wish to run the install test)
                If you don't have a spare partition you can easily create one.
                An Internet connection
                The cycle starts at 08/29/2018 and finishes 2 weeks later at 09/12/2018

Later In this post you will find the setting up instructions. Additionally, for testing details instructions and how the QA tracker works, you can visit:
                QA Tracker details46
                and follow the detailed instructions.

Thanks for helping to make Ubuntu even better!

== Setting Up Instructions ==

If you wish to test the installation process, we suggest you to have a spare partition, because the program involves fresh installations of Ubuntu. If you don't have a spare partition, you can create one following this steps: Resize partition instructions7. If you don't want to test the installation process, you should run the test that involves booting a live session.
                I know some of you have several systems, but our tracker has some limitations that prevent to provide two results for the same account. To avoid creating too much trouble, just select one of your systems and test ALWAYS with that system.
                You have to have an account in Launchpad. We are going to use it to generate data (it will be publicly available). If you don't have a launchpad account, follow these steps:
                Go to Launchpad14.
                Click on “Log In/register”
                Enter your email address and select “I do not have an Ubuntu One account”
                Enter the data and verify your email.
                With your launchpad credentials, you have to login into the tracker: http://xorg.qa.ubuntu.com20
                Once you're done with the tracker, add yourself to the list of participants in this page.
                You're all set!
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Why i386?
                  Should be AMD64!

Comment

GeForce 6150/6200 onboard GPUs / IGPs are well-known for going bad, both in laptops and on mobos. Consider putting a small fan on the IGP/chipset heatsink.

And yes, I know you mentioned that an older version of the OS runs "fine". But that doesn't mean your nVidia IGP is necessarily okay.

Personally, I would just buy a better PCI-E card for that system. There's plenty of video cards on eBay for less than $10 (with shipping!) that will run circles around that GF6150 IGP and have better Linux support.

Comment

HI guys; after all this time tried Xubuntu 18.04 again and still screwing my video when in web sites Nvidea graphics card,
                      Last edited by ivtec; 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

driver=nouveau <<< == problems.

install the real closed-source nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          driver=nouveau <<< == problems.

install the real closed-source nvidia driver.
                          Thanks;stj; where can i get those drivers?

Comment

run software updater . click settings . then click additional drivers .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                              run software updater . click settings . then click additional drivers .
                              Thanks petehall347; as shown in pic that's the drivers that are being in use, i tried to change to nvidea 304 drivers but it wont accept the change,so i'm stuck unless some other better drivers are out-there,it doesn't make sense linux having drivers for 16.04 and not to 18.04,i guess it's the end of Linux for old machines,pretty shame,
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ivtec; 10-26-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

am using 390 drivers no problem ..

Comment

am using 390 drivers no problem ..
                                  Thanks bro; where can i get those to try?

Comment

think drivers should just show in the box .. although i seem to remember downloading some but was long time ago .

Comment

check here .. https://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

Comment

Thanks i tried that but for 32 bit it doesn't install ,also installed from the link below,well i'll see how it goes.

https://mintguide.org/system/856-ins...inux-mint.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X