Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #741
hikaruichijo

City & State: Ourense
My Country: Spain
Line Voltage: 230V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Hi, I've found a Philips P5040 Wordprocesor but only the cpu no monitor and keyboard, and no system disks the worst part is that it works. It beeps once powewered on and beeps again when I pull the leber of the floppy drivers like inserting a disk. So It's hard for me to disasemble it for parts, because it works... and only the case is in bad shape, some rust here and there.
Does anybody know something about it? I know in the USA it was sold as the Philips P3004.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC240348.jpg (424.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PC240338.jpg (626.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg PC240340.jpg (995.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PC240341.jpg (1.05 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg PC240345.jpg (992.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PC240347.jpg (672.4 KB, 13 views)
hikaruichijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #742
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech

that would probably pull good moey on ebay.com from collectors.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #743
hikaruichijo

I'm not planning on sell it, at least now, I'm curious if it really works, the monitor has a male DB9 and the keyboard is a 6 pin DIM but I can't find any technical information about it to try to create an adapter for the screen and the keyboard, also I can't find any info about the software it used.
It is like they made only two or three of this machines...
Old 12-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #744
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

well trace the monitor pins back and draw a shematic
i suspect it is gnd, video and H/V sync
it could be colour - but i doubt it.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #745
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaruichijo View Post
I'm not planning on sell it, at least now, I'm curious if it really works, the monitor has a male DB9 and the keyboard is a 6 pin DIM but I can't find any technical information about it to try to create an adapter for the screen and the keyboard, also I can't find any info about the software it used.
It is like they made only two or three of this machines...
Probably CGA video -- one bit per color (R, G, B) and one bit of "intensity". I.e., 15 colors and black. My Compaq Portable 386 has a similar video interface (but, then again, with a plasma display you're limited to orange, orange, orange and black! )

Remember, it's a word processor, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

Last edited by Curious.George; 12-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Add reference to CGA overview
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #746
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

it's z80 based, i doubt it's colour and it's probably 25KHz horizonal (medium-res)
a frequency counter or multimeter that can read frequency would be handy.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #747
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/phcomp.html
Old 12-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #748
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
it's z80 based, i doubt it's colour and it's probably 25KHz horizonal (medium-res)
a frequency counter or multimeter that can read frequency would be handy.
If it's Z80-based, then it either has a 6845 as a CRTC or (worse!) a homegrown mishmash of tonka-toy logic implementing same discretely. MPU's of that era were relatively easy to share memory with a display device (e.g., frame buffer -- though a word-processor would typically not need that level of sophistication and could just get by with a character buffer) owing to the simplicity of their memory interfaces.

The consolation is that you should be able to reverse-engineer EVERYTHING as the most proprietary devices from that era would be PLA's and even those were "readable" (lacking much buried state). Likewise for the software...
Old 12-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #749
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

registered pal's are not that readable.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #750
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
registered pal's are not that readable.
Depends on whether or not the register outputs are "buried". Many of the small PAL's/PLA's brought every register output to pins (keep in mind the vintage of the devices in question).

Even in that case, knowledge of the internal structure of the AND/OR array can allow you to probe the device and deduce it's hidden state. I wrote a tool that allowed me to probe a DUT (at bus speeds) to tabulate its responses to various stimuli and then back-fit a set of logic equations to the observed outputs.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #751
hikaruichijo

It's z80 based for sure, it has two z80a cpus on the main board and another z80a on the bigger dautherboard but I don't see any 6535.
I also thought of CGA and will try if my boos finds his CGA monitor and that's as far as I can go withought info like pin1 red,pin2 green,pin4 hsync... well I lack the knowledge to reverse enginer it.
Looking at the traces that go to the screen conector, or I becoming blind or the board has more than two layers, because I only see four pins conected and two go to ground and another go to a memory chip.
Maybe this thing deserves a better owner because it's seens to be a bit exotic piece of hardware. The last wordprocesor philips produced after the apearance of wordpro.
A shame I can't fully fix it.

Last edited by hikaruichijo; 12-26-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Old 12-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #752
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Maybe this thing deserves a better owner because it's seens to be a bit exotic piece of hardware. The last wordprocesor philips produced after the apearance of wordpro.
A shame I can't fully fix it.
A lot of older kit is just that -- older kit! Most folks would gladly opt for "new(er) kit" and toss the old in the tip.

I tend to save older devices for:
  • sentimental reasons
  • support <something> that I bought that is no longer supported by newer devices (e.g., one of my logic analyzers supports an external XT keyboard)
  • support <something> that I designed many years ago (and don't feel inclined to try to move that to newer platforms)

E.g., I have a working "HiFi" VCR that I keep until I can finish transferring all of my video tape onto DVD. Ditto (audio) cassette and laser videodisc. I keep a pair of working Sun workstations to support software that I wrote to run under Solaris -- that I don't consider worthwhile to port to a more modern OS. I recently discarded my last pen plotter after having recovered the last of the drawings that relied upon it.

You have to make your own criteria for what's worth your (storage) space and time... (as you get older, these criteria tend to change remarkably!)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #753
hikaruichijo

I don't like to trow away any hardware if it's working.
and my second computer was a CPC 6128+ that died around 1998. And my previous find was an CPC 6128 with a green monitor, somebody cutted the wires but there's a lot of info and squematics of the CPCs so it was easy to rewire it and add a new 3 1/2 floppy, externally of course. Never modify old hardware unless it can be undone.
So for me it's Z80 all around latelly.
I'll keep the P5040 for sentimental reasons and the Z80s of course.
But someone more knowledgeable could do more with it, that's what hurts me.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #754
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
I don't like to trow away any hardware if it's working.
There comes a point in time where all that it is doing is "working" -- but not getting much of anything "done"!

Quote:
and my second computer was a CPC 6128+ that died around 1998.
I still have my first CP/M (actually, MP/M) machine -- with 512KB of RAM (oodles for that era). Complete with its 8" floppy drive. And, a box of virgin media if I ever opt to power it up, again.

But, once I rescued all of the files from the original system, it held little real value for me -- the data being more valuable than the machine used to create it.

Quote:
Never modify old hardware unless it can be undone.
I'm not that much of a zealot. E.g., my Compaq Portable 386 has a 600MB disk drive installed; that was never a supported option for the machine. I had to burn a new set of BIOS EPROMs in order for the machine to recognize it (the machine predates "user defined drive geometries"). I didn't bother keeping an image of the ROMs' original contents.

Quote:
But someone more knowledgeable could do more with it, that's what hurts me.
There will always be someone who could do more -- regardless of how much you can do with it! I only truly regret the machines that I have "collecting dust" with no real plans of ever powering up, again. This is the time of year I move that sort of cruft out -- to make room for new cruft!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #755
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

there are people who would be *very* interested in that unit - even just borrowing it.
contact mamedev
http://www.mamedev.com/contact.html
Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 AM   #756
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench

its probably mda.
rarely some were hercules.
both are 18.4 khz
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #757
hikaruichijo

A mod that enhances the hardware but keeps all the original functions, is the perfect mod for me. I also have a Toshiba T2130CT that had a 520mb hdd and I've replaced it with a 6gb hdd so something more than the OS itself, but the original hdd is still working and togueder with the system in the case I want to put it like it was before. But to install an 3 1/2" floppy drive in a CPC 6128, you need to mod the case cutting it because it had an 3" drive.

I'm still waiting for a CGA monitor that my boos promised to lend me, but he's lazy when it comes to this things, so I'll have to wait, and remenber it to hin almoust every day.
Fron what I've read in the wiki about MDA,HERCULES and CGA, a CGA monitor should work if the P5040 has one of that interfaces.

I'll contact with mamedev to see if they have any intrest in the P5040 it could be the best destiny for the machine but is a wordprocesor not a gaming machine, what use could they have for it?

Last edited by hikaruichijo; 12-28-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #758
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
A mod that enhances the hardware but keeps all the original functions, is the perfect mod for me. I also have a Toshiba T2130CT that had a 520mb hdd and I've replaced it with a 6gb hdd so something more than the OS itself, but the original hdd is still working and togueder with the system in the case I want to put it like it was before.
The Portable 386 uses a fair number of "custom" parts (designed to address it's unique "lunchbox" package style). The 5 inch floppy drive is an oddball. And, the 5" half height (internal) hard disk was "early IDE" -- relying on a disk parameter table (DPT) in the BIOS to initialize the controller in the drive to the correct geometry (C/H/S).

There was no setup mode -- nor diagnostics mode. These facilities were provided by separate bootable floppies. You selected a "disk type" from among those that Compaq had decided to support; the largest may have been 300MB (or maybe ~150MB -- note that's megabytes, not gigabytes... we're talking 1987, here)

So, getting a 600MB disk into the case meant mounting it in a 5" frame and then modifying the DPT to reflect the geometry of the drive in question. (Then, adjusting the checksum of the modified ROMs so the POST didn't complain of corrupted ROMs!)

Quote:
But to install an 3 1/2" floppy drive in a CPC 6128, you need to mod the case cutting it because it had an 3" drive.
I have 3" floppies on several of my workstations party because my PROM programmer boots from a floppy -- so floppies are a convenient way of transferring ROM images.

Making (5") floppies for the Portable 386 is a bit more of an ordeal as I have to drag out a 5" drive and cobble it into one of the workstations, temporarily.

Quote:
I'll contact with mamedev to see if they have any intrest in the P5040 it could be the best destiny for the machine but is a wordprocesor not a gaming machine, what use could they have for it?
What use could I have for a 30 year old 386?

[Ans: it gives me two ISA slots so I can support the few bits of legacy ISA hardware that are still important to me -- without having to keep a big desktop machine/keyboard/monitor lying around]
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #759
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

mame is now emulating old computers and even beyond.
if it has a cpu, they want to emulate it!
Old 12-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #760
martino
Not so "senior"

City & State: alberta
My Country: canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillifixit View Post
Found today
I know it's an old post but just ran into it. Selling that?

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/
martino is offline   Reply With Quote