Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some "Vintage Iron" for you older PC guys

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    oh no! aaaah! u've poisoned me with your fastest dual p3 gaming rig! why isnt teleportation invented yet?! i would want it teleported here. much easier to ship! lol~
    Shipping can be arranged. I got the case new, and still have its box & packing material.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Because I felt like a challenge ... an image makes more that 1000 words...
      Attached Files

Comment

nice... 10mhz cpu... 80286 i guess? 1mb ram. not bad also...

Comment

8086 more likely.
          286 would have started at 16 or 25MHz

Comment

Plenty of 6, 8 and 10 MHz 286s. PC or XT class was usually 4.77 or 8 MHz. I've a few 10 MHz ones here.

Comment

Just an update to this relic... Many moons ago, I was given a goodie box that happened to contain an Upgradeware Slot-T Tualatin adapter. I have a couple 1.26 Tualatin-S CPU's in the junk drawer....and curiosity got the better of me....

It worked without issue. Now the problem, I need to find another one in order to run them dual.....that's easier said than done apparently....not a single one on ebay or amazon.

...but hey, how cool is this!!

Yea, I've changed a few things around on this system...I removed one of the opticals and replaced it with a bay cooler for the 15K RPM cheetah that's in it. If I can find another Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, I'll grab a pair of 1.4GHz Tualatin-S processors, as those are plentiful & cheap....and will officially have this machine maxed out. Of course this message was posted from it.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

A few changes in this one.... I picked up a couple 1100/100 CPU's (SL5QW) and a couple Abit Slotket 3's (not easy to find). This creature is how running dual 1.1GHz. I never was able to keep it stable @ 133FSB, which isn't uncommon with the BX chipset. Now its maxed out. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance to install these CPU's..
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Although it's in a ATX case (I used whatever I had around), here's a AMD K6-2 500MHz for you guys
                  Attached Files
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    A few changes in this one.... I picked up a couple 1100/100 CPU's (SL5QW) and a couple genuine Abit Slotket 3's (not easy to find). This creature is how running dual 1.1GHz. I never was able to keep it stable @ 133FSB, which isn't uncommon with the BX chipset. Now its maxed out. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance to install these CPU's.
                    You should have asked me. I have 4 new in box slockets in my junk drawer. IIRC 3 are MSI and one is ASUS.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                      I've got dozens of various/random slotkets (epox, msi, asus, and some other generics)....it seems very few support coppermines. I've been through a lot of them testing this. The Abit ones are quite rare it seems. The really rare one are the upgradeware slot-t slotket, which supports coppermines & Tualatins, and it did work in the P2B-D....but finding a mate to it seemed to be impossible. The one I've got came in a goodie box a few years ago. The only other I've found for sale is some moron on amazon wanting $130....umm, no. They don't turn up on ebay, I check regularly.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Although it's in a ATX case (I used whatever I had around), here's a AMD K6-2 500MHz for you guys
                        Is that a rare bird? (the CPU being located at the bottom right on a K6-2-supporting motherboard)

(I only saw the CPU on the bottom right with Pentium I motherboards, for the P54s and likely P55s)

And my K6-2, rated at 450 Mhz, couldn't even OC to 500 Mhz, without crashing more than an airplane, FFS!
                        And also had stability issues, in a warm room, even when not OC'ing, FFS!

With that bullshit, I now wonder if I should have left it underclocked to 300 or 350 Mhz...
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-10-2018, 08:59 AM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I wonder what happens if you install a more recent O.S. on this like Windows 7 and an SSD via a PCI SATA add-in card. Can you make it daily driver at that point?

Vintage Iron for me was a AMD K6-2 500MHz and due to financial constraints was stuck on that rig until I got a job and my first ever rig, a Sempron 2500+ and ECS N2U400-A setup.
                          Last edited by grss1982; 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM.
                          CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                          GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            Is that a rare bird? (the CPU being located at the bottom right on a K6-2-supporting motherboard)

(I only saw the CPU on the bottom right with Pentium I motherboards, for the P54s and likely P55s)

And my K6-2, rated at 450 Mhz, couldn't even OC to 500 Mhz, without crashing more than an airplane, FFS!
                            And also had stability issues, in a warm room, even when not OC'ing, FFS!

With that bullshit, I now wonder if I should have left it underclocked to 300 or 350 Mhz...
                            YMMV, but most MVP3 boards I've seen have it placed in the bottom right.

Then again, some have it placed differently.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

My oldest (x86) box:

Compaq Portable III (~1987)
                              12MHz '286
                              640K RAM
                              20MB disk
                              1.2MB (5") floppy
                              2 slot (ISA) expansion case

Currently not in use but, rather, serving as a spare parts collection for my "considerably more useful" Compaq Portable 386:
                              20MHz '386
                              2MB RAM
                              300MB disk (I patched the BIOS to accommodate)
                              1.2MB (5") floppy
                              2 slot (ISA) expansion case

which is visually identical (except for branding)

The 386 nominally runs DOS and primarily hosts OpusV on an NS32032 coprocessor card sitting in the expansion chassis.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Curious.George; 07-11-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                Just an update to this relic... Many moons ago, I was given a goodie box that happened to contain an Upgradeware Slot-T Tualatin adapter. I have a couple 1.26 Tualatin-S CPU's in the junk drawer....and curiosity got the better of me....

It worked without issue. Now the problem, I need to find another one in order to run them dual.....that's easier said than done apparently....not a single one on ebay or amazon.

...but hey, how cool is this!!

Yea, I've changed a few things around on this system...I removed one of the opticals and replaced it with a bay cooler for the 15K RPM cheetah that's in it. If I can find another Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, I'll grab a pair of 1.4GHz Tualatin-S processors, as those are plentiful & cheap....and will officially have this machine maxed out. Of course this message was posted from it.
                                I have a 1400MHz PIII as my recording machine, it has Windows 2000 and Soundforge & CD-architect from the 90's. Sticker says P4, but I downgraded it 10 years ago as the older system worked better with the old programs... Two more boards in a closet as a spare parts. Update it, NEVER.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Xenon-Codex; 07-15-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I had a little free time this morning, so I put the finishing touches on this system's internals, and installed the 2x 1.1GHz (1100/100) SL5QW CPU's. These CPU's are very difficult to find. I got one in a junk box, but it took over 6 months to find the mate to it. Hardware-wise, this one is maxed out, and nothing is overclocked.

This has been one of my favorite retro builds, for personal reasons....I had a P2B (housed in a case that I still own) when they first came out (celeron 266 @ 400 and then a 300a @ 450), but I was too poor for the P2B-D, let alone 2x real P2 CPU's. I've considered transferring this build into that original case...

Attached Files
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

That thing looks like ot would be a screamer under Unix!
                                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

my oh my....again!

The P2B-D system went back into one of the best vintage cases I have.... It also got a RAID upgrade, a BRAND NEW AAA-131U2. I hated to cut the film off the retail box and open it....but its even more blasphemous to have a neat old controller like that, having never been used....I'm sure it was sad & lonely....but not now! A couple of the HDD's came from a hot dry place in the southwest, a couple were some I had on hand. This machine is orgasmic @ powerup, it sounds like a jet engine spinning up!

The final specs:

Asus P2B-D v1.06
                                      2x Very Rare 1.1GHz 100FSB P3 FCPGA (SL5QW)
                                      2x Abit Slotket III Adapters
                                      1gb PC-100 CAS2 memory
                                      3DFX Voodoo3500 GPU AGP
                                      Sound Blaster AWE64 audio
                                      SMC NIC
                                      Adaptec AAA-131U2 U2 SCSI RAID
                                      2x 36gb 15k RPM SCA HDDs in a mirror (OS)
                                      2x 146gb 15k RPM SCA HDDs in a mirror (storage)
                                      Plextor 40x 50-pin cdrom
                                      Plextor 12x4x 32 CDRW
                                      Iomega zip250
                                      Antec 430w PSU

All the SCA HDD's are housed in icydock solid aluminum hot swap racks. These were new old stock I bought probably 15 years ago, and never used.....as SCSI was dying off back then, and I went with sata. This system is a small piece of personal history....definitely one of the finer pieces in the collection!
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

It'd be awesome to have this rare beast, but I just don't have the money. Argh.
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

That.... really puts my Soyo SY-6BA+IV to shame.
                                          Last edited by Dan81; 10-02-2019, 01:26 AM.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X