Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L&C LC-B450E: Shorted secondary switchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L&C LC-B450E: Shorted secondary switchers?

Hello all. Several months ago, I received a computer with a bad PSU. The computer didn't turn on at all. Further testing revealed that the 5VSB rail and PS_ON were present, but upon shorting PS_ON to GND to force the unit to start up, all the rails went dead.

I've done some thinking recently and I'm wondering if this is a common sign of one of the secondary switchers being shorted. Any thoughts?

FYI, not trying to repair this right now, but I'm keeping it around as a potential repair project for when I get some decent soldering equipment.

TIA
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: L&C LC-B450E: Shorted secondary switchers?

I had one like that and I fixed mine by replacing all the rectifiers on the secondary. Not sure if the same applies here, but worth a shot.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

What do you mean all the rails went dead? did they have voltage before? or do you mean the standby 5vsb went dead now too?
      I would suspect shorted fets in the primary, when you forced the power supply on it likely blew the main fuse. so no more standby.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        What do you mean all the rails went dead? did they have voltage before? or do you mean the standby 5vsb went dead now too?
        I would suspect shorted fets in the primary, when you forced the power supply on it likely blew the main fuse. so no more standby.
        5VSB was present until I forced it on. Then nothing on all rails UNTIL I removed the jumper forcing it on. A second or 2 later, 5VSB came back. Fuse is intact.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Here are two versions for the the LC-B250 model, might be similar
          Attached Files

Comment

The 5VSB shouldn't die, even if the main PS has a fault, because these are separate PSs. The only two cases where I think this could happen is if:
            1) input NTC/thermistor has developed high resistance, thus allowing enough current for the main caps to charge and the 5VSB to run, but not enough for the main PS to run.
            2) driver transistors for the main PS on the secondary side (near middle/driver transformer, typically) may be shorted and pulling the 5VSB's secondary auxiliary winding low and causing 5VSB to shut down / go out of regulation.

In any case, it should be fairly easy to fix the issue as these L&C PSUs aren't that complex really. In fact, if built well, they are pretty robust designs. Just very outdated, inefficient, and often without good output protections aside from short-circuit (and sometimes even that is not implemented properly, as I've seen some H-bridge PSUs not latch-down after short-circuit.)

Also, you don't really need a special soldering iron to work on these. A 40-Watter will typically desolder anything in this PSU. Combined with a solder sucker, you should even be able to get the heatsinked components out, if need be. Though personally, most of the time I don't bother to do that with these cheap PSUs, as they are so gutless that I can work on them often without removing much of anything.

Comment

Working...
            X