multiple domain setup with one VPS and cPanel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple domain setup with one VPS and cPanel

The new business is moving along real fast now, and it's time to setup the domains.

I've registered both, let's call them mybusiness.com and mybusiness.net

I also have my first domain, mypersonaldomain.com.

I wanted mybusiness.com and mybusiness.net ran under my wife's name, instead of being ran by me, like mypersonaldomain.com is.

I want it so mybusiness.com and mybusiness.net point to the same location on the VPS.

We use cPanel. I created an account for my wife and created the domain mybusiness.com. The registar has the nameservers setup as ns1.mypersonaldomain.com and ns2.mypersonaldomain.com.

1) Should the two new domains have their own ns1 and ns2 DNS entry?
    2) How do I go about creating the second mybusiness.net domain, and having it point to the same physical directory that mybusiness.com points to? I tried creating an add-on domain, but that appears to just create a subdomain, which isn't what we want.

All three domains are currently running on the same VPS.

I also asked this on the cPanel forums, which I know is generally not a good idea, asking on multiple websites the same question. But our E3 licenses are live now, and because we're going through the CSP, we'd rather have our login names on the local machines as Spork@mybusiness.com or Spork@mybusiness.net, rather than Spork@mybusiness.onmicrosoft.com

Our business name is fairly long.

Any cPanel / network experts out there?

Thanks!
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: multiple domain setup with one VPS and cPanel

So you want to redirect one URL to another ?

Comment

Yes, if that's the best way to do it. I was thinking of just manually editing the DNS zone...what do you think? The other option would be to somehow try and find away to create a domain without a user, and then assign Jess to that other domain....

If I use something like redirection, how would SSL work? I'm using AutoSSL, where Apache needs to have a documentroot directive set, and then it tries to write a file there and read it. If they can't do it, it fails and won't create the SSL cert.

If I'm just redirecting (using maybe an apache redirect statement or something), if the first site that they go to, that redirects to the second, doesn't have an SSL cert, but the second site does have one, will a browser throw a fit?

Spork

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        if the first site that they go to, that redirects to the second, doesn't have an SSL cert, but the second site does have one, will a browser throw a fit?
        Pale Moon probably will yell at folks! Likely with the given reason being that the cert is only for one of the other domains. Pale Moon likely will yell about an invalid cert domain.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

There should be an option in cPanel called URL redirect.

Comment

There is, but I need to somehow create the domain in cPanel / WHM without creating yet another user....that's the issue I can't figure out. Do I just create an add-on (sub-domain) domain and then use the redirect in WHM?

Comment

I finally got the domain setup. Now I'm really pissed. Gonna kill someone.

Comment

Why ?

Comment

Microsoft reseller, who is an actual Microsoft employer who works at Insight lied I think.

He said for the workstation, my copy of Vista Ultimate Retail would be a qualifying OS. But according to the Microsoft Documents and the Microsoft support team through the CSP portal, I need 7 Pro Retail or higher and Vista won't work.

He also said for the VMs, I don't need any OSes, I can just install Windows 10 Enterprise E3 VDA, no product keys required. It seems that was a lie. So now I need three more copies of probably Windows 10 Pro, plus one for the workstation. 200$ a pop, that's 800$. Bastard.

Comment

A salesman talking bullshit ? That's never happened before....
                    You should have asked him to confirm in an email what he was saying.
                    Or done it as I would have done as per PM. Microsoft hasn't got as big as they are by being cheap.

Comment

I was trying to communicate with him via email! Just so I'd have a copy of what he said, but he kept on saying it'd be too complicated to do over email and we just needed to do a conference call. But maybe he didn't lie and I'm just configuring 10 Enterprise E3 wrong? I dunno. Maybe I'm supposed to use KMS activation or something and point it to the CSP portal?? Every document seems to say I need a qualifying OS installed on the machine or even on the VM in order to upgrade to 10 Enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                      X