Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60" LG Plasma 60PA5500 (Sound but no Image)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60" LG Plasma 60PA5500 (Sound but no Image)

I have a 60" Plasma that has no image.
    I can hear the volume Up and Down, but has no image at all..

The model In the white label is PDP60R4XXXX

I got it that way, so I have no idea if there was some symptoms leading to this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help, or suggestions.
    Attached Files

Re: 60" LG Plasma 60PA5500 (Sound but no Image)

Disconnect the TOP LEFT green board in this photo (from the white connectors, leave orange ribbons attached.) You will have to unscrew it.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1412736470

Does half the picture come back?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for your help Tom.

Yes half the screen came on.
      I guess that means the buffer needs to be changed?

Im attaching a picture of the screen.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you VERY MUCH, Tom, I finally got the upper Y buffer, and the TV works perfect, I do have a couple of questions, why did you suspect of the buffer board?
        and in case the upper board had been working, the next step would have been reconnect the upper board, and disconnect the lower board to test?

Finally, I think it would be a good idea to add those steps in your troubleshooting guide.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18542&
        Thanks again....

Comment

Hmm...

You should be aware of a problem with these sets. The plastic "nubs" on the side of the frame near the orange flatflex connectors to the panel can cut into the ribbons.

If this happens, it WILL KILL the plasma panel and the Y-buffer board! So you should REMOVE these as soon as possible to prevent this failure occuring.

I'm quite surprised that it was actually just your top buffer. Usually, the failure mode is a dead panel which then kills your top buffer. So I was going to say be very careful when installing it, as you could blow up the new board.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi all,

I have the same issue. when I turn on my TV I get No Video only Audio. Any suggestion on what part should I change?

TV: LG 60pa5500-UG
            Serial # 206rmdz43194

Comment

I am having a similar yet slightly different symptom on this same tv set. I have sound but no image, yet if I leave the Tv unplugged for a day and then plug it in the screen will come on and bring up the LG image for about 30 seconds then the image shuts off and I have just sound again...I replaced the Y-sus board and nothing changed i tried disconnecting both buffer boards separately with no luck

Really would appreciate some help on this one I am tvless...Thanks in advance

Comment

Sounds like a Mainboard fault to me, lets wait and see what others think.
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Sounds good, Thanks for the reply

Comment

Do you have a DMM ?
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

yes I do

Comment

I have a capacitance meter as well if needed

Comment

is there any place online I can download a service/ repair manual so I can check for voltage?

Comment

Tom,

Wanted to see if you could give some insight. I tried what you said. Unscrewed the top left board, disconnected from the 3 white connecters, and disconnected the ribbon from the lower buffer board.

I did get something showing on the bottom half of the screen, but it was only colors, nothing you could make out.

Is that normal, or do I have a bigger problem than just the upper buffer board?

Also, on the nubs you mentioned. I only see 2 black nubs, one on the upper and one on the lower corner, coming through the metal. They don't seem to come anywhere near the orange ribbons. Am I looking at the wrong nubs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                            Disconnect the TOP LEFT green board in this photo (from the white connectors, leave orange ribbons attached.) You will have to unscrew it.
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1412736470

Does half the picture come back?
                            Last edited by JThurmond7; 11-30-2015, 12:39 AM. Reason: changed "bus" to "buffer."

Comment

I checked voltage on my tv

VA:55
                              VS:205
                              VZB:120

Now here is where I run into a problem...when I connected my tv today I no longer have sound and on my main logic board I have a green blinking light...plus I have no back light...I attempted to check my VSC and VY and they just jump all over the place and I can not get a reading...can anyone lend me some insight on what may cause my VSC and VY to do that?

Comment

My problem: LG 60PA6500 Powers on, No picture, with sound.
                                Just stopped working one day when I wasn't in the room to see what happened. It would turn on, and the buttons made the front standby LED flash, but no picture. Cycled through the inputs, which was hard with no screen, but finally got an input with sound.

$12 for a new upper buffer board, and 10 minutes of labor later... My picture is back!

I spent 10+ hours going through forums and youtube videos before reading Tom66's suggestions to test the upper buffer board, by disconnecting, then powering on the TV to see if anything is coming up. Mine had some strange colors on the bottom, but not an actual image. So I posted a question, but ended up buying a board on e-bay before getting an answer.

Guess I lucked out. That was all I ended up buying and it worked. Based on what I read, I was going to replace the power board originally. Then after a little more digging, I decided it might be the YSUS board or the logic board.

I will admit that I haven't tested anything else, so it may be something else that caused the buffer board to go out. So we will see. However, when I removed the old buffer board, and ran the continuity test, 2 pins starting buzzing, showing a short somewhere.

Apologize for my uneducated post. I have ZERO knowledge of TV or electronic repair. Just wanted to share what worked for me.
                                Last edited by JThurmond7; 12-03-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the response... I tried disconnecting the buffer boards already with no luck ...wish mine was that simple lol

Comment

Originally posted by titodj View Post
                                    Thanks for your help Tom.

Yes half the screen came on.
                                    I guess that means the buffer needs to be changed?

Im attaching a picture of the screen.
                                    Tom, please help!

This is the exact issue that I had but when I unplugged the bottom board it didn't make any difference (no picture on the top half). When I disconnected the top board, I received the fuzzy picture on the bottom half so I'm assuming the ribbon cable is shorted but when I visually checked the ribbon cables closely (especially the top one) I didn't see anything at all that could've been a problem. What else can I do to troubleshoot to confirm that it's a bad panel/ribbon cable and not the YSUS/YDRVBT/YDRVTP? Do you happen to have a picture of a bad ribbon cable?

Comment

I have lg 50pg20 sound no picture i metered power board. I only get 3.25 volts on 5v_on terminal. Any ideas

Comment

Originally posted by jbasler View Post
                                        Tom, please help!

This is the exact issue that I had but when I unplugged the bottom board it didn't make any difference (no picture on the top half). When I disconnected the top board, I received the fuzzy picture on the bottom half so I'm assuming the ribbon cable is shorted but when I visually checked the ribbon cables closely (especially the top one) I didn't see anything at all that could've been a problem. What else can I do to troubleshoot to confirm that it's a bad panel/ribbon cable and not the YSUS/YDRVBT/YDRVTP? Do you happen to have a picture of a bad ribbon cable?
                                        Your bottom board is not going to display an image because it's not getting data sent in serial line communications from the top because it's missing.

What you're going to see is a very distorted blocky maldischarged picture on the bottom this is normal.

Replace your top buffer it's killing the V scan
                                        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Working...
                                        X