annoying chinese cap companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying chinese cap companies

one thing i found annoying is trying to find out what cap company is what. for instance i opened up a 1981 sears video arcade and it had nicon caps, luckily they werent leaking (WANGS love to leak) anyways i tried to see who makes them if they were chinese to taiwanesse and some stupid chinese company took there name and is making caps, same thing with HEC capacitors I see lots of old ones in ataris and I wandered if they were made by the same HEC compucase that makes cases and power supplies, it also seems another chinese company took that name and is making caps, seems lately old defunkt capacitor companies of okay quality go under then a chinese company sprouts up with the same name, it would be great if someone with better grammar skills could compile a list of the new deadbeat chinese companies.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: annoying chinese cap companies

Why bother with that. If you see a name that is not one of the major Japanese brands (or other respected non-Chinese and Taiwanese brands such as Elna, EPCOS, etc.), just assume it is crap and replace it if the equipment it's in is important to you.

Comment

So far with the ataris and other things ive been using nichicon VM for replacements, I just think its annoying that defunkt 80s capacitor companies get the name stolen from some crappy chinese company in hopes of selling on name recognition. Packard Bell was a company that got many sales in the 80s from false brand perception.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Mallory is one of those brand names.

Comment

They don't just do this with caps, nor are only the Chinese guilty of this practice.

If you follow the fate of all the big American brand names in Electronics around the 1980s and 1990s, you'll see that most of them are now owned by some foreign company. Even the few that aren't foreign-owned just contract their work out to an overseas company and don't produce anything.

Generally speaking, if you see an old US brand suddenly resurface on any new product, chances are good that it's just a foreign company trying to capitalize on the familiarity/reputation.

Some companies that do this aren't malevolent... for instance, LG used Zenith's brand name in the US a while back. Eventually, they established a better reputation than Zenith ever had, and now they proudly use their own brand name. Not every company is so ethical, sadly.
          Last edited by athenian200; 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Which makes me wonder as well if Marcon was an example hijack as I used to like their caps (they were green.. I can be vain at times). I see a lot for sale nowadays that are 'new' from china lately using their colours, logo, etc but the company hasn't been active for a long time. It's enough of a struggle finding datasheets for any of the Marcon caps as it is.
            Last edited by chozo4; 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM.
            Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Yes, they're annoying. Especially "Cheng" "Chang" and "ChengX" all being different companies

Comment

^ don't forget Chong and ChongX

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                  They aren't very creative with their cap names are they?

Comment

Also, anyone remember Fuh Yin? Almost like Fuhjyyu's brother .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

Also, anyone remember Fuh Yin? Almost like Fuhjyyu's brother .
                      I think I have a couple of them somewhere on really old motherboards or power supplies. Will have to look around for the heck of it now. As of late though I've been seeing stuff such as fan controllers and other devices using HUAHONG caps. In my stuff I changed them out right away, wasn't about to trust that brand anywhere near the internals of my comp.

Comment

Yes, the only samples I have are on an old Socket 7 motherboard from some Compaq computer. And they are not everywhere, either - only on the amplifier section (which, I should mention, uses a TDA1517 amplifier on an actual big aluminum heatsink - almost bigger than the CPU's ... so that's where the Fuh Yin caps are on, and they are very large too - several over 1000 uF IIRC, unlike todays board, which just have some tiny output coupling caps).
                        Last edited by momaka; 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Yes, the only samples I have are on an old Socket 7 motherboard from some Compaq computer. And they are not everywhere, either - only on the amplifier section (which, I should mention, uses a TDA1517 amplifier on an actual big aluminum heatsink - almost bigger than the CPU's ... so that's where the Fuh Yin caps are on, and they are very large too - several over 1000 uF IIRC, unlike todays board, which just have some tiny output coupling caps).
                          Yeah, Amplifiers of that era usually call for large output decouplers especially the upright TDA's. Even the TEA2025b I use calls for a 470uF at minimum in stereo mode or a loss of low frequency response would occur.

For the heck of it, are you able to snap a couple of pictures of it? Figured if we're going to pick on these brands might as well give visual examples. Seems the hardest thing to find any of are pictures of what one is looking for especially some of these brands.

Comment

For the heck of it, are you able to snap a couple of pictures of it?
                            Yes, but perhaps tomorrow. It's dark now and the pictures probably won't come out as good. If I don't post any tomorrow, bump this thread to remind me.

I have that motherboard hanging on a wall in front of my bed - it's used as an artpiece, though it is fully functional.

Comment

I don't understand how some of the companies come up with their name/symbols. Just like those S.Y./S.I. generic caps are made by "Transfull Limited" http://transfull.com/en/product_c.html

And those "CS" caps are 12Kuang Jin, but apparently the "CS" stands for "Chun Shing"

Comment

I have a habey case and the cap brand on the psu is SW has a + vent, can't find anything on them.

Comment

Sounds just about right for those caps, most of those two-letter "brands" are pretty much nonexistent or use generic brand names which cannot be Googled in any manner (the same goes with "descriptive" generic brands like "Long", "Good", "Blue", if they existed).

Speaking of "Long" - I should look for one of my power cables which is actually named "Sheng Long"... surprisingly though, search engine results for Sheng Long don't actually return 70 million identical quotes from Ryu.

Comment

This is a little off topic but it amused me Forget UF and Voltage let alone ESR!!
                                    I was looking for a cap and just for the laugh I had a look on Maplins (UK equivalent of
                                    radioshack) - This is the page you get to searching for an electrolytic:
                                    http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components...tic-capacitors
                                    Then the way to narrow down your search is not by the parameters above but as you can see, by PRICE or COLOUR !!!!!!!!
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                      This is a little off topic but it amused me Forget UF and Voltage let alone ESR!!
                                      I was looking for a cap and just for the laugh I had a look on Maplins (UK equivalent of
                                      radioshack) - This is the page you get to searching for an electrolytic:
                                      http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components...tic-capacitors
                                      Then the way to narrow down your search is not by the parameters above but as you can see, by PRICE or COLOUR !!!!!!!!
                                      Designer circuitry .. who knew? Next we'll find diamond studded capacitors or ones decked in full chrome/titanium to add that extra bling to an exposed circuit around some ElectroPimps neck!

Comment

Chong, Like these, I just bought this from ebay, plugged it in with about 15v and the thing exploded, feels like it bent my thumb back. Its probably my fault, I looked at the LM7805 and thought it can take the 15v. Didn't look at the 16v rating on the caps.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X