Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice regarding Re-capping AMD R9 280x.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice regarding Re-capping AMD R9 280x.

Hello everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I will try to keep it short. My ASUS R9 280x 3GB DC2 TOP that I had purchased back in 2014 had been artifacting after an year of use. 30-40 mins of gaming at a stretch would cause artifacting in any graphically demanding game. After crossing out all possibilities, I narrowed down the issue of VRAM overheating. The GPU core never ran above 65 degrees(usually at 55-58) ingame, since my case is well ventilated and I keep the card clean always. Last month the card failed suddenly. There was no display(fans spinned). I reflowed it using the heat gun on my soldering station. Unfortunately, I accidentally blew up a 270 microfarad capacitor during the reflow process by directing hot air towards it. Now the card works normally as before, with the exception of a few static lines on the display and occasional restarts. I have desoldered the old capacitor. Got hold of two similar replacement capacitors( 270 uF, 16V, panasonic). The ones ASUS were using were probably Nichicon. If you have read through all of this, I apologise for wasting your time since I am horrible at making my point in brief and even weaker in making tldrs.

Now, I have two questions:

1. Will I keep the entire length of the positive & negative wire attached to the new capacitor? Or should I cut off a portion of it so that there is not too much accumulation of metal, post soldering

2. Have I damaged the PCB during the desoldering? ( This is my first time doing this). If no, any general tips from here on is appreciated.

Attached all the necessary pictures pertaining to what I wrote. Any kind of help or technical advice is highly appreciated.

When the GPU runs without the capacitor

The GPU PCB

The area where I desoldered the capacitor from

The replacement capacitor inserted ( without soldering)

The area of the PCB which I fear I have damaged

The reverse side of the same area

The replacement capacitor of same capacitance and voltage rating.
    Last edited by reverend; 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM. Reason: Added one more pic
Working...
X