Philips 32PHH4509/88 not responding to remote/not turning OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 32PHH4509/88 not responding to remote/not turning OFF

Good day folks. Got this Philips 32PHH4509/88 piece of junk TV that has a strange issue: it doesn't respond to certain buttons on the remote control and as such, it can't be switched off...yes, you heard me: OFF. When you plug it in, it turns on by itself, displays the picture just fine, but you can't change the source, switch it off or access some of the menus - highlighting these menus works, but pressing enter or OK does nothing. The IR sensor however does register the keys on the remote transmitter being pressed, because the LED at the front flashes, but the TV doesn't actually respond. Even if I let the no signal countdown timer run down, it just stays there displaying "powering off in 0 seconds" but never actually does so. There's only one power button on the side of the TV and it doesn't do anything either. I tried downloading the firmware for it and placing it on a flash drive, but it did absolutely nothing. Either the firmware I tried is the same as the one currently installed and it won't accept it, or the mainboard's bricked...either way, is there anything else I should be trying ? Someone else faced this issue before ? It's truly strange.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Philips 32PHH4509/88 not responding to remote/not turning OFF

It does sound like a firmware fault. Have you tried another remote, Universal type to see if the response is the same.
    I have also had the wrong remote given with the TV where only some of the functions worked on it.
    Last edited by dick_barton; 01-17-2017, 10:50 AM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
      It does sound like a firmware fault. Have you tried another remote, Universal type to see if the response is the same.
      I have also had the wrong remote given with the TV where only some of the functions worked on it.
      Haven't got another remote to test it with...should definitely get one, though I suspect something's wrong with the TV, given that it doesn't turn off when the countdown time expires...that's a pretty strong giveaway.
      Wattevah...

Comment

I'd agree with that but when stuck try everything

Comment

You could try unplugging connector at the buttons and try the remote. Maybe heat or cool eeprom
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

in hotel mode? so some of the functions are dissabled

Comment

The service manual is available if you haven't got it fro

elektrotanya.com/philips_32phh4509_88.rar/download.html

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                in hotel mode? so some of the functions are dissabled
                I too thought of that at first, but how do I get it out of it ? Plus, how the hell is hotel mode preventing the user from turning the thing OFF ?! Imagine that
                Wattevah...

Comment

maybe worth a read
                  http://rowanwilson.co.uk/hacking-phi...l-televisions/

but certainly sounds like a mainboard issue what board number is used in this set?

Comment

That's not a service manual, it appears to be a firmware file. Also, I keep reading that the format of the flash drive you use MUST be FAT, not FAT32 which is what I used....perhaps that was the issue all along. I might try it again tomorrow with a cheapo drive which I can actually format in FAT16. I'm also not sure what version that firmware it is and the upgrade instructions on Philips' site tell us that it's not recommended to downgrade the firmware....whether that's true or just a gimmick to compel you to get their latest sh!t is another story...
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Did you solve the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmaru View Post
                        Did you solve the problem?
                        Yes, I believe I got the firmware, dropped it onto a FAT flash drive and it worked....can't remember for sure - I've done lots of Philips since then....
                        Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                          Yes, I believe I got the firmware, dropped it onto a FAT flash drive and it worked....can't remember for sure - I've done lots of Philips since then....
                          I have tryed the firmware from the official site, made usb into FAT and nothing.. does not even let me in the menu

EDIT: Got it working!, tryed the file from tanya, thank you
                          Last edited by Seshmaru; 11-15-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Hello guys, sorry for opening this topic again after one year of inactivity, but I have the same problem with my Philips 32phh4509/88 tv. I tried to update the firmware using a FAT drive, and the firmware from the official site. Didn't work... Seshmaru, where did you get the firmware that worked from?

Comment

Read post #7 elektrotanya.com/philips_32phh4509_88.rar/download.html

Comment

thank you
                                you saved me
                                official flash would not start, this one does
                                thank you
                                Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Hi. i have a situation similar but got no backlight. i powered the backlight from another power source and runned the tanya file. now i can use the remote. after i connected back the power from tv for the backlight and is not powering it. the caps look good. it blinks once when powering on the tv. the blink moment the tv is showing startup logo. what can be the problem with the backlight ? should i force update again but with the backlight connected to the tv board?

Comment

i have replaced the caps (220uf 50v) from the output of the power for the backlight and the controller(PF7903BS ) for the backlight and it has the same problem i have attached the photo of the psu board. the voltages are ok yet i got no voltage output for the backlight.

Comment

Sounds like a bad backlight LED to me. If you haven't already, try locating the "Backlight ON" pin on the connector coming from the main board and measure it with the TV on. You should have a voltage between 3-5v there. If you don't, it's pretty bad news since it means the main board is not sending the BL_ON signal for whatever reason (bad component/firmware failure), but if you DO get a reading there, it most likely means an LED (or several ! !) has gone bad and you need to open up the panel to have a look inside.

Before doing that, if there's no voltage on that pin, you can try to force it on by connecting a low-ish value resistor between the STBY pin and the BL_ON pin and see if the backlight comes on. If it does come on, it's the bad new I mentioned earlier...
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

If the backlight
                                        it blinks once when powering on the tv
                                        flashes once then the power supply is good and there is a problem with the backlights in the panel.
                                        If one or two leds' are shorted the power supply led driver will shut down because it monitors the current. an external power supply will light the strip even if it has shorted led's
                                        Last edited by R_J; 01-30-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X