ps5 disc, white light, no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps5 disc, white light, no display

Weird problem. I've got a ps5 disc with no display however the console gets to a solid white light and appears to be boot fine and getting to safe mode without any issue (getting to safe mode blind, I've got a recording of the menus from another ps5)

So far I've replaced the HDMI port as it did look like one of the pins had broken however that wasn't the case and it was the plastic of the hdmi port sitting at an angle out of place. I checked the original port for shorts and found none but I haven't checked the new one (I'll do this when I disassemble it again).

I can get the console to safe mode and have tried all the options apart from resetting via usb stick or updating and all of them appear to do exactly what they're meant to do but the display has not come back.

I can get the console to the home screen (still no display) and sleep it so everything underneath appears to be working fine.

So what to try next? New HDMI encoder? I would have thought if it was dead I'd have got a boot failure.

Just looking for some ideas as it's a bit of a weird case.
    Last edited by Themi; 02-18-2023, 04:42 PM.

Re: ps5 disc, white light, no display

Measured values of the hdmi pins against known good values. All good. Replaced hdmi encoder and still no change. Also checked traces from apu to encoder and they’re all good too. Not sure what else to try if anyone has any ideas?

Comment

White light means the console is booting up normal but you have no video output. this could be down to a bad hdmi port or a bad hdmi encoder chip.

Comment

Originally posted by semtex View Post
        White light means the console is booting up normal but you have no video output. this could be down to a bad hdmi port or a bad hdmi encoder chip.
        Hdmi port changed and encoder for known good one still the same.

Wondering if my issue is at the apu based on these voltages?
        Attached Files

Comment

have u tested the filters for shorts...or is the small cap missing under hdmi pins right side

Comment

Originally posted by the old man51 View Post
            have u tested the filters for shorts...or is the small cap missing under hdmi pins right side
            Yes tested for shorts + continuity from caps near apu to encoder and from encoder through filters to hdmi. Small cap at hdmi not missing.

Comment

check liquid metal for spillage

Comment

Originally posted by the old man51 View Post
                check liquid metal for spillage
                Top of the apu?

Comment

Hi Themi,

This indeed is a puzzling case. You seem to have covered almost all bases - HDMI port and encoder replacement, checking for short circuits and continuity. Based on your description, it does seem like the APU is functioning correctly, given that the console boots up to a solid white light and even reaches safe mode.

The idea of checking for liquid metal spillage by 'the old man51' could be worth investigating. Liquid metal used for thermal management could, if it spills over, potentially cause shorts or interfere with the operation of nearby components. It's not just the top of the APU you should be concerned about, but the surrounding areas as well.

Also, I know this might sound rudimentary, but have you tried using a different HDMI cable or different display? Sometimes, the simplest solution is the one that's overlooked.

If all else fails, it might be an issue deeper within the APU itself or the graphics subsystem, which would be difficult to diagnose or repair without specialized equipment.

Hope you manage to solve this mystery. Cheers!

Comment

Did this ever get solved. I am in the same situation except that I changed the severely damaged HDMI port. I have done all that Themi has done and still not display.

Comment

Can you go into safe mode?

Comment

Check the filters again, this time for cross-shorts. Maybe there is an issue.
                        If not, check the rest of the HDMI-circuit. I once had a PS4 Pro with the exact same problem. The problem was a blown resistor connected to Pin 18 (don't remember exactly which Pin it was.

Comment

I have the same problem and I did the same process of fix. Can you fix the problem? How? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X