PS2 Slim Not Powering On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 Slim Not Powering On

I have a Silver PS2 Slim SCPH-79001 which has a different motherboard than most PS2 slims that I come across. When I got this PS2 it was having issues reading discs, so I started to diagnosis the disc drive. After messing around with the system for bit it suddenly stopped powering on. I didn't smell any burning or hear any noises.
    • I checked the PSU, it is reading stable voltage and is powering on a different PS2.
    • The power LED glows on a different system. (removable part)
    • The power LED changed to 'green' on a different system after pressing the power button.
    • The solder/connections were refreshed on the USB ports, AV connectors, power connector, and the controller ports.
    • The fuse near the power connector is still intact.

I have almost no experience with motherboard level repair. I am checking shorted capacitors with my multimeter, but I don't think I am finding any.

Any tips or suggestions? I am determined to fix this and improve my skills!

Tell me what to do!

My multimeter and PS2 board.
    https://imgur.com/a/diZkE2B

Re: PS2 Slim Not Powering On

Probably the board was shorted somewhere, in addition to the input fuse, there are several other smd fuses on the board, they have the designation PSxx, check them.
    Attached Files

Comment

I tested all of the fuses that you highlighted. One was giving me some trouble, so I cleaned it with Isopropyl and it's continuity was fine.

There are a bunch of teeny surface mounted components that are labeled with numbers such as "220" are these resistors or fuses? I have been testing continuity on them and they are most certainly connected.

I found what I believe to be a capacitor that is shorting out.

See attached image. https://imgur.com/a/hh0Muj6

Comment

Yeah, you need to upload a high resolution straight shot picture using the attachment function. The above pic is way to blurry to see if it’s a cap or an inductor.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
          Yeah, you need to upload a high resolution straight shot picture using the attachment function. The above pic is way to blurry to see if it's a cap or an inductor.
          Didn't know that was a feature. I took this with a higher resolution camera.

Also I regret to inform you that I removed whatever that component was last night. :boom:

No success.

If I can find it, then I will solder back on if necessary. I also have a spare board for components. Are you determining what it's function is by observing the circuit around it?
          Attached Files

Comment

check this .. it looks broken .
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
              check this .. it looks broken .
              What kind of component is this? How do I test it with a multi meter? The only thing I could do was refresh the solder.

What makes you think it is broken? The center prong?

Comment

looks like a chunk has broken off

Comment

I found an identical part on another mobo and they look identical. They both have the same continuity too

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    looks like a chunk has broken off
                    i think it's flux
                    i dont know why sony has always sprayed it's pcb's with rosin???

Comment

I can confirm with 100% certainty that there is an abundance of flux in that area.

Comment

Just to double check:
                        When you plug in a good working PSU into the main board, you don’t have the standby led and everything is dead?
                        Now with the PSU plugged into power and with the main board connected, measure the dc voltage again on the main board. See if you got power while everything is plugged in.
                        There has to be constant power to the main board for the Stby to work. If I remember correctly the power supply puts out 12V., this has to run through some fuses and some buck converters and finally arrive at the main ic. There are a shitload of fuses one the board marked PSxx. It can’t be the power button, if the standby led isn’t even on. The next problem could be the thing stuck in reset somehow..

Comment

do you get 12v at the main fuse?
                          maybe the connector is bad

Comment

The AC Adapter prominently specifies 8.5V (this is not an OEM PSU). MM shows 8.88 from the adapter and 8.88 on the mobo where the DC Connector is.

I am not getting any voltage at the main fuse, however I am getting continuity between the both points of the fuse.

The standby LED is off.

A user, Lotas, highlighted a bunch of the fuses in an attached picture. I checked the fuses and they all demonstrated continuity.

Comment

Post 5, second pic, top right is a yellow connector. You saying you get 8.8V there and no voltage on either end of the fuse below it? I am saying bad connector.

Comment

yea, here is nothing but a copper track between that connector and the fuse.
                                check again, but meter the connector from it's actual solder joints
                                if you still get voltage then maybe the soldering under the fuse is cracked

Comment

Yes, that is what I am saying.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

re-flow the solder on the yellow socket - the joint on the right looks a bit suspect

Comment

For shits and giggles put the power directly to the far end of the fuse and see if the led comes on.

Comment

Btw… you don’t measure voltage with both probes on both sides of the fuse, right?

Comment

Working...
                                        X