Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lift Master garage door opener with WiFi capability application through your phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift Master garage door opener with WiFi capability application through your phone

I had a lot of trouble with the WiFi connection from my router inside of the house into a ( new ) metal garage I had to run a 150 ft cat6 patch cord so the WIFI connection would be strong enough for the WiFi connection on the garage door opener would work correctly ( my son has a work out area in the garage as well and he was having to put his phone near the door to be able to stream music ) ( so I was going to eventually put WiFi out there anyway )

This garage door opener WiFi is very touchy if you lose the power it does not remember the password for the router which is weird or if your router loose power and reboot it can not reconnect on it own

So the solution for this issue is to put a battery backup on both the router and the garage door opener but this part is weird also because the garage door opener has a battery so you can open the door

Which opens up with the wall switch button so I do not understand the logic behind that I guess I need to call tech support again and see if they know what the issue with this is

Now the garage door application is very good when it works and has good WiFi signal but I wonder if they track when your door is open and closed and when huh
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-21-2023, 08:52 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Lift Master garage door opener with WiFi capability application through your phon

Or use any old garage door opener and put a Shelly Plus One on there. That’s how I smartyfied my old air exchanger.

Comment

Re: Lift Master garage door opener with WiFi capability application through your phon

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      Or use any old garage door opener and put a Shelly Plus One on there. That’s how I smartyfied my old air exchanger.
      Thanks for sharing this information

Unfortunately because this is a metal garage and very high ceiling it is not possible to put a garage door opener on it but I have a old style garage door that could use an upgrade
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-22-2023, 06:43 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Those little devices are pretty good and work good too, at least so far. Haven’t gotten around to do too much with them yet, but I installed a few here and there. All run on a schedule of some sort. You can have them integrated in the cloud or not. Your choice and they don’t need a hub or anything and function by themselves. You can also add extra features like temp or reed (motor) etc… check it out.

Comment

I have and it has given me an idea about something that I want automated I do not have the details worked out yet that why I thank you for sharing it I had something about them but did not the brand name
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

"September 2021, The Blackstone Group purchased The Chamberlain Group in a deal worth five billion dollars. "
            "Chamberlain Group Loses $63M Patent Infringement lawsuit to its competitor, The Genie Company."
            "According to the complaint filed on March 10, 2021, by The Chamberlain Group, Overhead Door Corporation and The Genie Company infringed on patents related to smartphone garage door opener technology and other devices belonging to two inventors and two companies who invented garage door openers."

The myQ system relies on a gateway to their central server, so all transactions with the garage door opener get authenticated and logged at the server. Apparently Chamberlain changed their server infrastructure 2015 and wrecked things because old firmware keeps getting stuck looking for a server that no longer exists.
            It seems you have to replace the control board to update firmware in their products.

All this is typical crappy IoT product.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              This garage door opener WiFi is very touchy if you lose the power it does not remember the password for the router which is weird or if your router loose power and reboot it can not reconnect on it own
              For some reason, our area gets fairly frequent brown-outs, power-dips, and power cuts. So I would definitely not be able to deal with a garage opener like this. In fact, if this is what I had, I'd probably be melting its bits with a blowtorch, after smashing it with a big hammer first. I really hate dumb "smart" devices like this. My garage door opener is from 1993 - 30 years old and original with the house. Not changing it 'till the motor burns to death.

Sorry, I know this is not the solution you're looking for in this thread, but modern crap like this really pisses me off. Like, you can't even find regular stuff anymore that doesn't require a silly phone app. What if you don't have your phone because it was lost or broken or stolen?

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              All this is typical crappy IoT product.

Probably the best way to sum it up.

Comment

You can use it with out the app but what I like about the app is that you can see if your garage door is open or closed

Yes I agree with you that something that is suppose to be a “SMART “ device is setup like this is not acceptable for a smart device
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

so the "fusion center" can open your door for the feds or know when your home.
                  great.
                  explain "freedom" vs "communism" to me!

Comment

Corporations are like the state, I don't see a difference except corps make an insanely huge amount of money off all of us. They set the rules.
                    google, microsoft, apple etc. monetizes your private data and gives you the illusion of freedom. Xi collects your private data and gives you no illusion of freedom and presumably less expensive lol. Work for the benefit of the People. At least they have nationalism.

Chamberlain, LiftMaster "should only be performed by trained, professional installers and service technicians." Yeah, I'm made of money, DIY is dead and your IoT service is "free".
                    Honeywell AlarmNet, Total Connect Alarm/home thermostat is the same as this crappy garage door opener IoT - you can access only through your cellphone app talking to their central server. Of course it's unreliable and buggy, have to uninstall then reinstall the phone app to get it working again. Thanks for giving Big Brother Co. location info and all your contacts for the "advertising dollars".
                    It is ridiculous yet we all allow it to happen.

Why are people worried about the Feds raiding their home? WTF you got stashed away, lol. Oh God he opened his garage door at 7:50 AM late for work.
                    The only time it's been big news is the garage door opener app reporting to the husband the wife is strangely home early in the day as she was meeting her lover.

I think the only solution for OP is to get some weak antenna setup to funnel WiFi signal to the opener. I've seen even just laying a cable near it and running outside the metal building nearer to the router can do it, in other metal buildings I worked in. The cable isn't connected to anything.

Comment

I could care less BUT I know that I am being watched and who gives a crap if they are that interested in me come get and do what ever

I am not sure if they give a crap to be honest with you but if I am wrong then I might think twice about that thinking

But I agree with you about companies offering something but you have to use there servers to able to use the SMART features this is completely wrong if they are miss using the information they they collect

I know that BIG BOTHER is a live and very well and doing what ever they want
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                        Why are people worried about the Feds raiding their home? WTF you got stashed away, lol. Oh God he opened his garage door at 7:50 AM late for work.
                        how about,
                        your phone was geolocated near a protest or a real crime.
                        so your on a list.

they know you go out or atleast open your garage every weekday at 7:50
                        so they know to come at 8:30 to have a warrantless look around and if they cant find anything illegal they can plant some stuff.

then they can raid your house at 7:50 the next day as your driving out and they have you isolated in your car.

when your government are evil scum, you dont want to be giving them ANYTHING.

Comment

We are already being monitored at the operating system level, on our cellphones, our PC's.
                          Corporations are openly data mining and somebody is paying for it- as if google got its $1,275M market cap from "advertising" revenue.
                          Governments are allowing it and obviously benefiting. Privacy is a myth.

With Big Corp. IoT devices in the home, it's no different than recording your web activity. Different data gathered.

I'm against the basic IoT architecture requiring access through a central server. You come home from work and can't shut off the home alarm and open the garage door to park because that server is down. Happens constantly with Honeywell. The phone app is a huge trojan.
                          I look forward to the day every garage door in America is commanded open, household thermostats set to something silly lol.

Spooks going after the small guy who says "the king is a fink" instead of being patriots and going after spies and foreign hostile agents- that is the problem.
                          They can look at all my stuff and there's nothing terrible, so I don't give a shit. Why they aren't cleaning up the bigger mess, who knows. I have trouble believing manpower/resources are dedicated to going after the small guy.

Comment

RedWire
                            You said a lot which most of it and maybe all is very much the way I feel that it does not matter what platform or what device you have you are being watched or data being collected and or shared with others privacy is a great concept but if you believe you have any it might be any illusion and a bad one at that
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Today they found Home Depot giving Facebook your purchase data back through 2018, supposedly analyzing if you bought something that was in targeted ads to determine their effectiveness. I guinea pig.
                              It's when they put together personal data that it gets extra creepy. Canada doesn't do anything other than issue a few words, a recommendation. There should be some fines to at least make the investigations pay for themselves.

Comment

fines?
                                they should send in a fully armed hit team with an explosives kit and blow the companies server room to alaska or further.
                                then tell them if they violate peoples data again it will be the boardroom that goes boom!
                                thats what i'd do - it's fucking time that these big companies felt real pain!

Comment

Owned by Blackstone, of course your movements are being tracked and analysed, along with everything else you do, got to give them that data.

Comment

As usual our current government can spend money like there is no tomorrow in one way, but exact where the money is needed, it’s nowhere near to be seen. But yet, I need to pay more taxes. Hmm… is my math bad?

Comment

This country is no better when it comes to this and then they do not want to raise the the debt ceiling which to me is just holding us hostage and then this country will be no better than a 3 world country and do you think that the politicians give a crap about the debt they have caused for many-many years oh hell no I blame each party for this nonsense because all that they are interested in is their self and what they can do for their friends
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                        As usual our current government can spend money like there is no tomorrow in one way, but exact where the money is needed, it’s nowhere near to be seen. But yet, I need to pay more taxes. Hmm… is my math bad?
                                        more taxes are needed for more police.
                                        because the police have been pissing people off and making them angry
                                        so you need more
                                        to make you more angry
                                        so then you will have to be taxed more
                                        [endless cycle ending in violent revolution or collapse]

the video of justin castro surrounded by police being told to GTFO by the people the other day when he went for a public walkabout was funny.

Comment

Working...
                                        X