Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

degradation of solid state capacitors in motherboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

degradation of solid state capacitors in motherboards?

Hi, I have a question regarding a motherboard with SS capacitors that I'm having trouble with. Every now and again it would give overclock failed at boot even when not overclocking.

Recently more often, and the last few weeks at every single boot. It seems like the typical capacitors needing to warm up, then everything is fine.

Weird thing is the capacitors are all solid state. Do SS capacitors degrade the same way as normal caps? Is it worth trying to recap the board?

I have already replaced the PSU.

The board is a gigabyte x79 ud3. it's ageing but still good enough for basic computing with a 6core xeon and 16GB 4channel memory.

Re: degradation of solid state capacitors in motherboards?

looking at images of your board from the web, it looks like gigabyte uses japanese solid caps for the board so its doubtful unless u can desolder one cap and test it with an esr meter and its out of spec.

the inablility to cold boot and works when warm after that could also be a symptom of bad bga. the bga balls under the lga socket could be failing and/or the bga under the pch could be failing.

or the board could just be on its way out as a type of general failure. overclocking is more stressful for the board than it is for the cpu. even if u didnt overclock, these high performance cpus run quite hot and so cause more thermal stress to the components on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      looking at images of your board from the web, it looks like gigabyte uses japanese solid caps for the board
      Sorry to threadjack but they sometimes package electrolytics in a similar case. How can you tell if they are solid state? Lack of vent marks?

Comment

Sounds just like a tempermental Asus motherboard, on an Asus, it's C.P.R. getting triggered.
        (CPU parameter recall, which is a fallback for an OC where you can't even get the BIOS)

But, with Asus' design, merely shutting it down when the BIOS is booting, can cause the BIOS to keep falsely reporting overclock failure, until you go into the BIOS setup and then select the option to save and exit, if not worse, which would possibly be the message and prompt to press a key continuing until you clear the CMOS. (take out the CR2032 battery)

The Asus P6T family is infamous for this.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-09-2022, 12:57 AM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
        X