Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RX-V3900 dim display

Hi all,
    I have searched through the forums and have not found anything about my problem. So, without further ado, my problem is a dim display on the receiver. I have tried adjusting the display brightness in the GUI menu, but it stays at, i would guess, 50%. I have read online that Yamaha is famous for placing caps too near a heat source and the caps prematurely go bad, or just bad caps. I have worked on pcbs quite a lot and have confidence that I can change any caps that might be bad, however, I have no idea where to find the caps to replace. I do have the service manual for that receiver, but i said I like to tinker, not learn another language. LOL. If someone could point me in the right direction, I can order like replacement caps and remove the old ones and install the news ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Jim

Re: Yamaha RX-V3900 dim display

Look at this location (display power).
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
      Going to open it up tomorrow and will take a look. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
        Another question, just for me, what are the capacitor symbols with the 3 lines candy caned through them

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnyone View Post
          Another question, just for me, what are the capacitor symbols with the 3 lines candy caned through them
          electrolytic

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnyone View Post
            Going to open it up tomorrow and will take a look. Thank you.
            Hi Sinnyone,

Were you able to troubleshoot and rectify this issue? I have the same problem with an RX-V2400.

The darkened plastic display filter fell off a year ago when the adhesive dried out, I think the display brightness must have dropped more this past year, as while I used to be able to view the display, albeit a bit dim, it's now very difficult to read if there is any ambient light in the room when I put the filter back on.

Appreciate any info you can share.

TIA

Comment

Hi, no, i totally blew it off, but now have another problem so will be trying to take care of this also.

Comment

So I know that it has been a while, but I never did get to this. I was taking a look at the diagram supplied by Lotas, and Im trying to figure out what board this is. Im looking at the service manual for this receiver and dont see a board like the one Lotas uploaded. I can find the caps on the board, If I can find the board Im supposed to be looking at. This receiver has a lot of boards in it. lol. any help would be appreciated.

Comment

That is the Power (1) board Service manual internal view (page 16) Location 24 Located between the front panel and the power transformer

Comment

Yamaha RX-V3900 dim display and turns off

Hi all,
                    This is a repost since I never completed this fix. I just left it, but now the receiver powers off into safe mode and does not complete the Self-Diagnostic when i start with those buttons pushed. It says it is, but does not do the diagnostics and does not show any faults or that it has none, which it should do. So here i am again. The previous post did have a schematic but I think it was cut off somewhere. I do not know what board it is referring to. Any help would be appreciated.

I have searched through the forums and have not found anything about my problem. So, without further ado, my problem is a dim display on the receiver. I have tried adjusting the display brightness in the GUI menu, but it stays at, i would guess, 50%. I have read online that Yamaha is famous for placing caps too near a heat source and the caps prematurely go bad, or just bad caps. I have worked on pcbs quite a lot and have confidence that I can change any caps that might be bad, however, I have no idea where to find the caps to replace. I do have the service manual for that receiver, but i said I like to tinker, not learn another language. LOL. If someone could point me in the right direction, I can order like replacement caps and remove the old ones and install the news ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have a Yamaha RX-V3900 that has been working fine, except with dim display, for a few years now. a few days ago, it powered down for no reason. I turned it off, unplugged, restarted it and it worked fine for about a week. Yesterday, it did it again, but would not stay on. It would power up, then turn off. After a couple of tries it would do nothing until i unplugged it and tried it again. Again, power on then off. I found a service manual and tried the self diagnostic function. using the buttons, i can get it to turn on, stay on and go into self-diagnostic mode, but it wouldnt show any codes. According to the manual, it should show "Diagnostic No Protect". It seems stuck at the main "Diagnostic RX-V3900". It will not show any codes or history. Also, now, it wont even stay on in Diagnostic mode. It shows power on then turns off. Wont stay on in protected mode. Does that sound like an issue with the power supply? Its a really nice receiver, plenty of power for my vegas, so Id like to keep it and fix it if I can. Im pretty handy with electronics and soldering so Im not afraid to play with it.

So I was searching around and found out a bit of info. I guess a common problems with this era of receiver is a faulty or failing cap on the power board coming in from the power cord. I took the board out but dont see any leakage, but these arent electrolytic ones, they are the polyester ones. Those dont leak do they? I think it is supposed to be the one circled in the picture. Anyone have any input? Also, i do have a meter with microfarad. Can I check with that? or are these in a lower capacitance? thanks
                    Jim

Comment

Now for the next question. I never realized there are different types of electrolytic capacitors. Would these be Axial non polarized, radial non polarized, polarized? On the schematic, there is a +symbol next to the capacitor symbol. Does that mean it is polarized?
                      the rabbit hole gets deeper.
                      Also, wheres a good place to purchace capacitors on line. thanks
                      Last edited by Sinnyone; 08-28-2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I figured it all out.

Comment

Hi Sinnyone, I just bought a second hand one and it has the same thing.
                          Found the schematics online but absolutely nothing except this post.
                          Reading your last line gave me hope.
                          What was it in the end?
                          Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X