Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must this Nuvoton NCT6797D-M Super I/O IC be programmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must this Nuvoton NCT6797D-M Super I/O IC be programmed?

Hello there;

I have a MSI x570 Tomahawk board. SuperIO chip seems to be faulty. SuperIO chip on this spesific board is NCT6797D-M. I've ordered new one. Does it need to be programmed?

Here the datasheet: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3f507a863c.pdf

Thanks!

Re: Must this Nuvoton NCT6797D-M Super I/O IC be programmed?

Hi, usually SIO's do not be programmed and can be exchanged w/o any additional measures. However sometimes they have an separate small capacity kind bios chip connected, and these must be working and programmed. The question is how you determined that they SIO is faulty ? Except its very hot, usually other reasons are responsible for motherboard not starting, and it's only looking like SIO is not working. Eg. it's more likely that some components are missing on the motherboard, or VRM chips are faulty.
    Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-22-2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Re: Must this Nuvoton NCT6797D-M Super I/O IC be programmed?

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
      Hi, usually SIO's do not be programmed and can be exchanged w/o any additional measures. However sometimes they have an separate small capacity kind bios chip connected, and these must be working and programmed. The question is how you determined that they SIO is faulty ? Except its very hot, usually other reasons are responsible for motherboard not starting, and it's only looking like SIO is not working. Eg. it's more likely that some components are missing on the motherboard, or VRM chips are faulty.
      Thank you for your reply. It seems like I've crushed SIO's pins while connecting a GPU and bridged them (probably shorting them after I turn my PC on). It was not booting at all before, but after playing around, it started booting with a weird flaw.

My PC works normally (I can play games, do work, do benchmarks, and even write this post), but I can't turn it off. When I shut it down from Windows, BIOS, Linux, or even with a long press of the power button, it turns off but restarts again with "CPU Error Led" and the fans spin at full speed until I unplug it from the wall. After waiting a few minutes, I can turn it on again normally.

I've tried it with different RAMs, CPUs, PSUs, and GPUs. Ive reseted BIOS, downgraded it. I had my motherboard professionally cleaned and the SuperIO chip re-soldered. After a visual inspection and checking for missing components (from the pictures online), I decided it should be either SuperIO or Chipset. After checking functions of SIO and since SIO is cheap, I thought I should give it a try.
      Last edited by ihatepwm; 03-22-2023, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X