Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power supply for main amp blows fuses after replacing filter caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply for main amp blows fuses after replacing filter caps.

Originally posted by R_J View Post

What was wrong with the original capacitors that you needed to replace them?
    good question

Comment

I want to add, when you test transistors on the board, it is better to remove these capacitors so that their large capacitance does not interfere with the measurement.

Comment

What was wrong with the original capacitors that you needed to replace them?
        I had random popping sounds on all speaker channels. I have a post about it in this forum a week ago. When I re-flowed the original capacitors I saw some corrosion on one of the solder connections. I feared that the original caps had a leak so I replaced them.

Comment

Quick question. Can I use thermal pads instead of thermal paste/compound with the mica insulator? I can get these sooner than the new mica insulators.

Comment

This transistor may have been damaged, so you will need to inspect it to make sure there is no burnt carbon track on the back of the transistor and no rough metal if it did indeed arc. This is if the transistor itself did not short internally
            While the tabs on the transistor measure out OK the plastic around the hole on the back has been damaged and can cause a short with the screw attached so I am going to replace it (again as that position is where the original transistor was shorted collector to editor. Just my luck). All other transistors test out OK. I should be getting the thermal pads tomorrow so I will post an update then. Again thanks for all of your help everyone.
            Last edited by acedogblast; 02-28-2023, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thermal pads are installed and the AV receiver powers up but a problem that I think I solved is back. Whenever a loud sound is being played on the center channel the receiver goes into ASO protection mode. I think something is still wrong with the center channel on the main power amp.

The transistor that I have replaced twice now is properly a symptom of something else going on. I am going to create a new thread discussing this issue as the original issue for this tread is solved which is caused by not isolating the heat-sink from the power transistors.

Comment

not looked at protection but i guess it monitors dc offset and possibly overcurrent .it may be working as intended and the source might be the problem

Comment

Or a bad filter in speaker.....

Comment

Working...
                  X