"f6" "f7" blue esr issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"f6" "f7" blue esr issue

i know this must be a stupid question but here is goes bought blue esr meter and built it was so fun. I am a novice-medium knowledge in repair person on a good day lol. yes this is my first kit since i was a kid.

Now when i start her up all seems good, so i though i would do the self test feature on the meter so i read the info on how to do this properly so i did this

(Before doing the self-test, it's very important to first set VR1
    to the center of its adjustment range, short out R30, 100R and make sure that the meter's supply voltage is
    in the range of 6.2 – 6.8V. Do not use a 9V battery for this test because it will cause a false F2 warning!)

So i did and i got "f6" then tried it again and got a "f7" well i looked all over with a 10x glass to see if i created whiskers or made a bridge but as i see it all looks good. I installed a couple of trans backwards but caught myself and fixed them around do you think i could have fried them with heat??might have, will change them for fun. Measured all resistors and all seem to be in the right place. any help would be of great value..if you need anymore info just ask thank you for your time.

Re: "f6" "f7" blue esr issue

Look up the assembly manual....the error codes and their meanings are included. Troubleshooting suggestions for each error code are in the book as well.

Comment

Pages 11 & 12:
      Code:
      F6: No output from pulse amplifier. 
      Check around C7 (33nF), R12 (1k!), D3 & D4 (1N4002), C5 (100nF) and 
      C6 (47@F bipolar).
      F7: Q3 not sourcing current. 
      Check around Q3 (2N3906), R5* (2.2k!), R6 (10k!) and pin 15 of IC2.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Ok i will go over it again i may have missed something. i will re-solder the joints you think "yes" around the areas........ will get back to you after again thank you for your time.

Comment

Please post back with your findings. If this is unresolved, you can also join and post on the anatekcorp.com forums or contact Bob Parker (meter creator) here.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member.php?u=3759

Whichever way you decide, please update us.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

I PMed you back regarding what to check.

In the future its better to post on the forums you get more input that way.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

ok i have touched up any solder i have seen to be a problem but with the same issue f6 and some times f7

Comment

Biggest problem with these kits is resistor markings (4 & 5 stripe) being confused and improper part placement -> transistor inserted wrong(backwards).

Go back to the start of the manual and verify all the resistors first. Then check the diodes and transistors.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

i will and get back to you thanks for your time guys

Comment

i have found the 100k and the 220k not testing their true values unless i am testing them wrong. 100k is measuring about 50k and 220k is reading about the same. i will replace and see what the result is.

Comment

Something's wrong. You have to double check the color codes. These are mixed 4 and 5 stripe resistors. It is very easy to read from the wrong end and come up with a seemingly correct value. I did it, but I caught the error by double checking them with a ohmmeter before I installed them.

If these 2 are marked differently and reading the same, something is really whacked. Check your meter. Resistors -typically- fail upward in value. I've not seen one that was lower.
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...r_and_inductor
                        and you have a nice color-coded table a bit below there...

Comment

nice and easy one here too that covers 4+5+6 band resistors
                          http://www.samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/...e_page.en.html
                          it does all the work

Comment

Originally posted by ewastecomputers
                            i have found the 100k and the 220k not testing their true values unless i am testing them wrong. 100k is measuring about 50k and 220k is reading about the same. i will replace and see what the result is.
                            I assume you are testing them "in circuit" with a digital Ohm meter.

Looking at the circuit, I suspect the reason you are getting the same low reading across both resistors is that there is only a 220R between the hot end of R13 and +5V. The impedance across the +5V supply is probably relatively low, compared to the high value resistors you are trying to measure.

Having said that, even if the +5V was a dead short to ground, I would expect a value closer to 70k rather than 50k, as the 2 resistors would effectively be in parallel.

Try lifting one end of one of the resistors (or remove them completely) & measure them again.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                            Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

did that and they test ok, so that is one thing to check off the list. Has to be a different problem.

Comment

ok i have checked it over many times and i am thinking it is the transistors new ones fix this issue should i post a pic on here of what i have done.

Comment

Yes, please post pictures and detail how you fixed it, good to see you got it working!
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Still not fixed sorry about post before was typo.

got new trans today and put in still same result.
                                    i dont know what to do..still f6 f7 error with r30 sh orted.

Comment

Sorry I can't say much about this, I don't have one of these ESR meters (yet!) so I don't really know much about it.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by ewastecomputers
                                        Still not fixed sorry about post before was typo.

got new trans today and put in still same result.
                                        i dont know what to do..still f6 f7 error with r30 sh orted.
                                        Could you still post a couple of pictures. One for each side of the board.
                                        ________________________________________________

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                                        Bright antennae bristle with the energy
                                        ________________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                                        X