Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Question Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaar
Holy crap....it worked.
Bridged the fuse with solder?
__________________
There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
  • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
  • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
  • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64
  • GeForce GT1050
    2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #42
mobaar
New Member
 
mobaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Yep. Amazing that we both had the EXACT same issue. Wonder if we should make Westinghouse aware of it, it has to be some sort of weakest link in the system.

I apologize, but did not get the voltage readings on the MOSFETs before I closed it up. I hope to get on that in the next day or two.

Thanks again for everyone's input! Hopefully this can walk someone else through another expected issue with this inverter board.

Collin
mobaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #43
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaar
Yep. Amazing that we both had the EXACT same issue. Wonder if we should make Westinghouse aware of it, it has to be some sort of weakest link in the system.

I apologize, but did not get the voltage readings on the MOSFETs before I closed it up. I hope to get on that in the next day or two.

Thanks again for everyone's input! Hopefully this can walk someone else through another expected issue with this inverter board.

Collin
Same board, same problem, same solution so far. What bothers me is why?
And I understand you were so anxious to start using it after you first noticed the backlight turned on. I contained myself, but if it was your first, I guess you didn't.
Congratulations.
I'm glad I was of any help to you.
Just post a pic of the working monitor, please (for my records) if possible.

- Eduardo
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #44
baffleonious
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

I have the monitor you two have been working on open in front of me, but am still unsure as to which fuse I put the jumper on....? Might you provide a photo..I have two of these monitors sitting around my work and am hoping they'll let me take one home!! Thanks, I hope..

Will
baffleonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #45
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Post Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffleonious
I have the monitor you two have been working on open in front of me, but am still unsure as to which fuse I put the jumper on....? Might you provide a photo..I have two of these monitors sitting around my work and am hoping they'll let me take one home!! Thanks, I hope..

Will
Welcome to BadCaps.net, Will

The fuse we are referring in previous posts is the one in the red rectangle :

This pic was posted by me before. I just wanted to make it easier for you to get to it.
Did you check the MOSFETs and the caps already?
- Eduardo
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
Bobdee
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
City & State: WALES UK
Posts: 461
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

nice one guys,
I have never seen a fuse on solder side of board before,
new one on me, thanks
Bobdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #47
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Post Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdee
nice one guys,
I have never seen a fuse on solder side of board before,
new one on me, thanks
Thanks, BobDee.
I have seen them before on PS2 Slim and in an Acer 1916s that has the same PSU/Inverter board as this Westinghouse.
You learn a lot around here, either experimenting, following advice, or expanding the scope of the things you see or look for in a failing/defective unit.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #48
baffleonious
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Well, this is bad...I guess I inferred that I could bypass changing the Mosfet(s) (plus I'm unsure of which Capacitors to change...) by just jumping the one fuse. Such a simple solution I though, "I can do that!" but alas it looks like I'll have to put a bit of elbow grease into it...I guess I'll take the busted monitors home and hopefully figure out what the hell to do. On the other hand, I just assumed we had the same problem do to the similarity of symptoms but have done zero diagnostic work...and have never really done diagnostic work...So...in conclusion...I have a lot to learn and know not where to begin. Thanks for the efforts though. (if you have a ups acct number and want two westinghouse monitors...let me know, otherwise they're probably trash)
baffleonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #49
Bobdee
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
City & State: WALES UK
Posts: 461
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Hello Baffleoious,
please dont trash them,put them on your local freecycle,
or something like that,
better still put them to one side and have a good read on the badcaps forum,
they will be a good start to learn on ,as you have two of them,
Bobdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #50
DrGr33n
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Hi

I just registered to say thank you to all the knowledgeable people here. I was/am having the same problem as described in this thread. With the information picked up from here I intend on giving my monitor a second shot at life. Thanks again guys.

Cheers ;-)
DrGr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #51
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Thumbs up Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGr33n
Hi

I just registered to say thank you to all the knowledgeable people here. I was/am having the same problem as described in this thread. With the information picked up from here I intend on giving my monitor a second shot at life. Thanks again guys.

Cheers ;-)
Welcome to Badcaps.Net

If you need help, post some pics, more info, and wait for either the feedback or requests for more info.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #52
DrGr33n
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Thanks for the welcome. Just posting to say that I followed the advice I picked up from this thread and had success in reviving the old 19in Viewsonic monitor. My 14 year old son is now enjoying it's second life, trouble is he now wants a better video card to play his games at 1400x900. Sheesh. No pleasing some people. Anyhow thanks again for the help.


Cheers ;-)
DrGr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #53
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGr33n
Thanks for the welcome. Just posting to say that I followed the advice I picked up from this thread and had success in reviving the old 19in Viewsonic monitor. My 14 year old son is now enjoying it's second life, trouble is he now wants a better video card to play his games at 1400x900. Sheesh. No pleasing some people. Anyhow thanks again for the help.


Cheers ;-)
Been there. After the Video card, the HDD would be too small, the processor would be too slow, and in the end your wallet will be too empty
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #54
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran
 
PlainBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Posts: 7,013
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguevarae
Been there. After the Video card, the HDD would be too small, the processor would be too slow, and in the end your wallet will be too empty
Too true. One bright side: 'Last years' technology is often available at bargain basement prices. I've picked up high end socket 478 motherboards with 3 Ghz HT CPUs for less than $50. My last acquisition was an ATI video card with 256 Meg of RAM as a Craigslist freebie. Works perfectly.

PlainBill
__________________
For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #55
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Question Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffleonious
Well, this is bad...I guess I inferred that I could bypass changing the Mosfet(s) (plus I'm unsure of which Capacitors to change...) by just jumping the one fuse. Such a simple solution I though, "I can do that!" but alas it looks like I'll have to put a bit of elbow grease into it...I guess I'll take the busted monitors home and hopefully figure out what the hell to do. On the other hand, I just assumed we had the same problem do to the similarity of symptoms but have done zero diagnostic work...and have never really done diagnostic work...So...in conclusion...I have a lot to learn and know not where to begin. Thanks for the efforts though. (if you have a ups acct number and want two westinghouse monitors...let me know, otherwise they're probably trash)
Any news on this, baffleonious ?
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #56
Welchs101
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
City & State: Cary, NC
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
Posts: 770
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

HI,

I am also having the same problem with my westing house monitor. The fuse F200 was "open" so i replaced..........and after i turned on the monitor it still did not work. I checked the fuse i just put in and it opened. So i have a short somewhere. I have a question about the BIT3713. I measure GND on pins 7 and 13

Pin configuration is below:
1,16
2,15
3,14
4,13
5,12
6,11
7,10
8,9

I think pin 7 is the actual gnd but...........i am not sure about 13.........

Three questions:
1) How to determine what is causing the short which continues to open up fuse F200?
2) Anyone know if pin 13 on BIT3713 should be GND
3) Anyone know where to find replacement for BIT3713?
Welchs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #57
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Post Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welchs101
HI,

I am also having the same problem with my westing house monitor. The fuse F200 was "open" so i replaced..........and after i turned on the monitor it still did not work. I checked the fuse i just put in and it opened. So i have a short somewhere. I have a question about the BIT3713. I measure GND on pins 7 and 13

Pin configuration is below:
1,16
2,15
3,14
4,13
5,12
6,11
7,10
8,9

I think pin 7 is the actual gnd but...........i am not sure about 13.........

Three questions:
1) How to determine what is causing the short which continues to open up fuse F200?
2) Anyone know if pin 13 on BIT3713 should be GND
3) Anyone know where to find replacement for BIT3713?
Welcome to the forums.
Post a picture of the inverter/PSU to see if it is the same it is/was discussed here.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #58
Welchs101
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
City & State: Cary, NC
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
Posts: 770
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

exact same pic as was already posted by eguevarae on 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Welchs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #59
Welchs101
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
City & State: Cary, NC
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
Posts: 770
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

the monitor is a westinghouse L2046NV
Welchs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #60
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welchs101
exact same pic as was already posted by eguevarae on 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Good to know that I am being referred to my own pictures .... while that helps, one tries to find bulged caps, uneven colors or other signs of failure. And as your LCD is a 2046NV just like mine, I suggest that you check the MOSFETS in my thread about the 2046NV, or open a new thread.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2019
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?